Dwight Gayle - Signed until the end of the season

Topram

Stoke 23/24 - 14 Apps, 0 Goals
Stoke 22/23 - 37 Apps, 3 Goals
Newcastle 21/22 - 9 Apps, 0 Goals
Newcastle 20/21 - 20 Apps, 1 Goal
Newcastle 19/20 - 22 Apps, 4 Goals
West Brom 18/19 - 41 Apps, 24 Goals

Would have been on 20K+ at Stoke, and surely there'll be lower Champ teams in for a player who's plied his trade in the Prem + Champ his entire career,

Wouldn't say no though...

You'd think Stoke might be in a fair position to evaluate his current wellbeing and likely future usefulness, so would offering him another contract not suggest he's not quite as washed up as some assume? It's not an easy one I concede and I can see both sides to the argument, but my leaning is always that class is permanent, especially at a lower level like L1. I'm also mindful of a good few expressing the same concerns when Didzy rocked up with a similarly uninspiring recent track record. CKR too for that matter. 

Of course, there are risks attached, when aren't there, but if we are talking a loan and option kind of deal, I'd definitely not be against it as having only Collins available for any period of time is a huge gamble IMO. All about the money though; if a deal can be structured where he gets what he wants based on performance milestones and / or promotion bonuses, that'd de-risk things greatly; if it's front-loaded with all the risk sat with Derby, that'd be a much harder call.

Edited by Comrade 86
Fark me loadso typos

39 minutes ago, Waghorny said:

Stoke 23/24 - 14 Apps, 0 Goals
Stoke 22/23 - 37 Apps, 3 Goals
Newcastle 21/22 - 9 Apps, 0 Goals
Newcastle 20/21 - 20 Apps, 1 Goal
Newcastle 19/20 - 22 Apps, 4 Goals
West Brom 18/19 - 41 Apps, 24 Goals

Would have been on 20K+ at Stoke, and surely there'll be lower Champ teams in for a player who's plied his trade in the Prem + Champ his entire career,

Wouldn't say no though...

You’d say no based on that output in recent years…

Remember when we were linked with Jordan Rhodes?

Some people on here did the exact same thing. 

"No thanks" "Hes past it"

People pointed to his goal scoring record being poor.

He ended up at Blackpool and hes second top scorer with 15 goals in 19 games. I bet we all would take him now.

Now we are doing the same with Gayle.

Just now, MACKWORTHRAM said:

He ended up at Blackpool and hes second top scorer with 15 goals in 19 games. I bet we all would take him now.

As a free agent, can we not let him train on a trial period?

Goal scorers retain their ability. It’s just fitness and desire that wanes. If he really wants to end his career on a high, let’s get him in. If not, move on and work with what we’ve got. 

CBT has had an inauspicious start but may well get 8-10 goals between now and the end of the season, so Warne may think we have enough.

Gayle won’t come if he thinks he’s a bench warmer. He’s had enough of that. 

If he wants success and adulation, he’ll fight his way into any team at this level.

14 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Same with McGoldrick and CKR

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Spelling

Well Chris Martin has found it easy enough in league one and he can’t run around 

this would be another gamble on a very injury prone player but if his contract was terminated by mutual consent he wants to play somewhere 

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Well Chris Martin has found it easy enough in league one and he can’t run around 

this would be another gamble on a very injury prone player but if his contract was terminated by mutual consent he wants to play somewhere 

Martin is a bad example here because he never could run around. Gayle was a pace merchant. He would need to significantly adjust his game if his legs have gone.

21 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

What's the point of starting a transfer rumour then in the same breadth totally writing it off happening.

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Eh? Where?

IMG_1722.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

What's the point of starting a transfer rumour then in the same breadth totally writing it off happening.

Another one we will miss out on anyway