Ebou Adams - Signed on 3 year deal

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

If Cardiff don't have any compunction to sell the guy then that can ask what they like, that's their prerogative, the same as if we were in their position. 

It would be ridiculous on our part, not Cardiff's, if we then paid a totally inflated transfer fee for him.

Agree. Historically he'd probably already be here for the stated £1m, on inflated wages. This is a new era of prudence and common sense I think where we'd sooner walk away....

.....as it's then announced he's joined for £1.2m!  

3 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Before he signed, I had never heard of Ebou Adams. So I am sure if he doesnt sign, then we have plenty of other options, that we will have no idea about ...

I've genuinly never thought of it like this and it's a positive way of thinking!

Thanks mate, with my glass half full now, I'm imagining all the random players I've never heard of who will be tomorrow's heroes 😄

17 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Nobody is going to pay 1m for Adams. Cardiff know we want him so are digging their heels in. I think this will drag on until the end of the window and eventually we will agree on a lower fee because Adams wants to come here and they're happy to sell.

My gut is that he'll wind up at Bolton or Birmingham .  He'd be perfect for Bolton with their attacking options that need some muscle.  We need to get used to paying a million for a player if it helps retain a position in this league.  big money at League 1. A pee in a pot in this one if it retains a larger ongoing pot of money and helps retain any young talent coming through. 500 k this year, same next year.  If we are still chasing, he must be deemed important enough.

2 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Agree. Historically he'd probably already be here for the stated £1m, on inflated wages. This is a new era of prudence and common sense I think where we'd sooner walk away....

.....as it's then announced he's joined for £1.2m!  

If we had any sense, which I'm a lot more confident now with the current regime than with previous ones, we would be monitoring the situation whilst going away and progressing other avenues. It wouldn't go amiss to quietly let Cardiff know this as well. 

31 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Nobody is going to pay 1m for Adams. Cardiff know we want him so are digging their heels in. I think this will drag on until the end of the window and eventually we will agree on a lower fee because Adams wants to come here and they're happy to sell.

If we're prepared to hang on until the end of the transfer window then more fool us! So many things can happen in the last couple of days of the window to kibosh a deal, as we have found out to our cost on more than one occasion. To go into a new season without a midfield enforcer for at least 4 months before the next window opening would be madness.

I must have missed something last season, as all I saw and read about Adams was how incredible he was.

He transformed our team, was often the most important player on the park and became a real fans favourite...one of our best ever loan signings.

However, it now appears he was actually technically limited and was only good because he was in League One.

I really want him to join and think he would continue to be a key player for us in the Championship.

I don't really care how much we spend on him, the main thing is that a transfer fee fits in with our overall budget.

A transfer fee is purely down to what someone is prepared to pay for a player combined with how much the selling club are prepared to let him go for. He isn't worth 500k, 1 million or more. But we might be ok paying 1 million for him if that fits in with our transfer budget.

I trust the club will bring him in as long as it's within the overall budget.

11 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

If we're prepared to hang on until the end of the transfer window then more fool us! So many things can happen in the last couple of days of the window to kibosh a deal, as we have found out to our cost on more than one occasion. To go into a new season without a midfield enforcer for at least 4 months before the next window opening would be madness.

I do agree. We need a midfield enforcer badly to compliment the legs of Tommo and the technical ability of Kenzo (who will spray the ball about). If not we will get over ran in midfield.

This feels like a good example of how transfers can seem like they've been left until late in the transfer window.

At the moment, Cardiff know we really want Ebou, so they are asking for an inflated price in the hope that we pay it.

If we start bringing in players in his position, they may start to slowly reduce their asking price, as we aren't as desperate for him.

If we start off the season and don't have a gaping hole in the middle of our team that sing price will likely come down even more, if Ebou also isn't in the Cardiff team at this point.

Come August 31st, the Cardiff asking price may come down to even £500K, if he's still on the market. This would be when I presume the club would act, unless they have already signed his 'replacement'.

There will be plenty of negotiations before this gets wrapped up. Cardiff know we want him, putting a silly price on for now. They'll want money for signings I'm sure. There are purposely twisting our arm to see how much patience we have, to gain as much money out of the deal as possible.

This has got George Thorne 2.0 all over it. Constantly haggling on price before eventually the club lets go. Ebou doesn't seem like that kind of player to push through a transfer move and throw the toys out either. 

Might be a few weeks yet unfortunately.

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

My gut is that he'll wind up at Bolton or Birmingham .  He'd be perfect for Bolton with their attacking options that need some muscle.  We need to get used to paying a million for a player if it helps retain a position in this league.  big money at League 1. A pee in a pot in this one if it retains a larger ongoing pot of money and helps retain any young talent coming through. 500 k this year, same next year.  If we are still chasing, he must be deemed important enough.

Agree that it’s either us or an ambitious league 1 club. Can’t see any paying the £1m fee though so could be a long old summer for Ebou.

7 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I must have missed something last season, as all I saw and read about Adams was how incredible he was.

He transformed our team, was often the most important player on the park and became a real fans favourite...one of our best ever loan signings.

However, it now appears he was actually technically limited and was only good because he was in League One.

I really want him to join and think he would continue to be a key player for us in the Championship.

I don't really care how much we spend on him, the main thing is that a transfer fee fits in with our overall budget.

A transfer fee is purely down to what someone is prepared to pay for a player combined with how much the selling club are prepared to let him go for. He isn't worth 500k, 1 million or more. But we might be ok paying 1 million for him if that fits in with our transfer budget.

I trust the club will bring him in as long as it's within the overall budget.

Exactly ! It’s household spending. Of course we want a new Dyson and the demo we used last year was excellent. 
We thought it would 300 quid but for some reason the discounts dropped away and the price went up and suddenly it’s 600 quid…..  But Dyson still need to sell vacs and we still want one … who blinks first. It’s business.

32 minutes ago, jono said:

Exactly ! It’s household spending. Of course we want a new Dyson and the demo we used last year was excellent. 
We thought it would 300 quid but for some reason the discounts dropped away and the price went up and suddenly it’s 600 quid…..  But Dyson still need to sell vacs and we still want one … who blinks first. It’s business.

Who will fill the vacuum?