Where do you think we'll finish this season?

I still feel Portsmouth will falter towards the end once pressure hits. Bolton still look vulnerable. Peterborough are showing with young squad the last week I think they will bottle it and finish in the playoffs. If we can stay fit and get Washington and waggy back by the end of the month and Collins scan is fine I think we will catch Portsmouth. The experience should help us with promotion winners and a manager who knows what it takes. The top two won’t be decided on quality for me it’s that tight I think it will come down to the two who mentally keep it together 

On 14/02/2024 at 09:47, eddielewis said:

Current Predicted table according to footballwebpages.co.uk 

Interesting how they have us not losing another game from now on in but still missing out on the Top 2. They have got us drawing 5 more away games and only winning 1 more.

image.thumb.png.5998067ee2bf902883e7a7d726c6df43.png

Updated predicted table after yesterday's results. We stay the same however Bolton's draw has knocked them down by 7 points.

image.thumb.png.2228485005740a92b1e9edf4385a3b1b.png

On 15/02/2024 at 08:04, Barney1991 said:

I still feel Portsmouth will falter towards the end once pressure hits. Bolton still look vulnerable. Peterborough are showing with young squad the last week I think they will bottle it and finish in the playoffs. If we can stay fit and get Washington and waggy back by the end of the month and Collins scan is fine I think we will catch Portsmouth. The experience should help us with promotion winners and a manager who knows what it takes. The top two won’t be decided on quality for me it’s that tight I think it will come down to the two who mentally keep it together 

If you monitor the Bolton forums u will see that their fans’ views almost mirror many of ours… in that some of the football is a bit dire and that as a whole the team isn’t really firing on all cylinders- yet they, like us, keep digging out the results . They, like us, also have significant injury issues albeit that they strengthened more than us in Jan so perhaps can sustain the injury losses better than we can.

Pompey on the other hand significantly strengthened in Jan and this has enabled them to really keep going despite quite a lengthy injury list regarding some of their important players. They are on fire right now and the Lang purchase has really made a difference ( I really wish we had gone in for him rather than CBT if I am honest but that’s another story/thread).

They were also able to bring in players like Moxon yesterday even though they were a bit thin on the ground in terms of midfielders.

I really thought they might slip out of contention for the autos earlier in the season and during the Xmas period. But i just don’t see it now- they strengthened at the right time and in the right way.

I see the second auto place between us, Bolton and Barnsley. If the latter beat us this coming week then they are really in the mix and we don’t have a good record at their place.

On 20/02/2024 at 23:08, Stockport Ram said:

Bolton away 23/24 will be our Burnley away 2013/14.

The difference is that Bolton were founder members, and only have five digits per hand.

Do check out John Cooper Clarke’s 

‘Burnley’ recital. Methinks you’ll enjoy it 

Now is not the time to panic, we need to get behind the team as we head into the final stretch of games.

4 of Pompey's next 5 games are against top 8 teams so if we want to close the gap this is our chance especially with our game in hand.

In that same period we play 6 games with 4 at home, Bolton being the only top 10 team. Bolton play 6 games, 4 away from home & 3 vs the top. Barnsley have 5 games, 1 of which is Bolton too but their other 4 are winnable games for them.

It could end up going down to goal difference the way it is shaping up.

I just want to express my honest opinions but I don’t want any backlash as my mental state isn’t great.

i don’t think we’ll go up. Hand on heart, it’s not a knee-jerk reaction to today, we’re just not good enough when it matters. We’ve had 4-5 chances to gain ground but we seem incapable.

I also want to state I am not in the warne out brigade, he has made mistakes but he’s also been unlucky with injuries.

I pray that I’m wrong, I want promotion as much as all of us but I think we’re probably 4th best in the league at the business end of the season which is when it matters.

I think Bolton take 2nd and we lose to Barnsley in the PO Final which mentally I can’t take right now 

1 hour ago, DazaDunn said:

I just want to express my honest opinions but I don’t want any backlash as my mental state isn’t great.

i don’t think we’ll go up. Hand on heart, it’s not a knee-jerk reaction to today, we’re just not good enough when it matters. We’ve had 4-5 chances to gain ground but we seem incapable.

I also want to state I am not in the warne out brigade, he has made mistakes but he’s also been unlucky with injuries.

I pray that I’m wrong, I want promotion as much as all of us but I think we’re probably 4th best in the league at the business end of the season which is when it matters.

I think Bolton take 2nd and we lose to Barnsley in the PO Final which mentally I can’t take right now 

How are we unlucky with injuries. We signed players who were already injured or hadn't played for a while.

You don't have to be Nostradamus to predict that would end badly.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

If we play 4-3-3 second.

If we play 5-3-2 third at best

We cannot play in such a negative fashion, especially at home. Get NML back on the wing where he’s happiest. 

Yep tend to agree for the rest of the season. 

Against Stevenage it was a case of needs must. But Barnsley showed that we can’t look to poo house our way up. We’re gonna have to play some football.