Where do you think we'll finish this season?

We're rounding the final bend and entering the home straight. Ok, not quite but we're over half way through.

Will we get automatic promotion, have to settle for the playoffs or - heaven forbid - miss out altogether again and face another season in League One?

My fear is that Bolton and Posh will get the autos, leaving us to battle it out in the play offs.

[Aside: have polls been turned off? I was going to make this a poll.]

Edited by IslandExile

Well currently Bolton have been the most consistent team and Peterboro have been smashing out the points in the last 10-12 games. But football is a funny old game ( I loved Jimmy Greaves). Bolton may have games in hand, but they have to win them. They still have to play 10 teams from the current top half of the table in their remaining 19 matches and 7 of them matches are teams currently in the top 7.

Peterboro are still in the EFL trophy having won tonight, so that could be a distraction. They have 8 matches against the current top half teams and 4 of those fixtures are against teams in the top 7 positions. Their last 3 games look interesting, with Oxford (a), Bristol (a) and Bolton at home.

The Rams have only 7 fixtures against the top half table teams and only Stevenage (h), Barnsley (a), Bolton (h) and Pompey away to play. Its all going to be down to results against the teams around you, keeping key players uninjured and good referee decisions in key games. Asking me now, I would say Derby will finish 3rd and agreeing with you that Bolton and Posh could grab the top two. I think this subject as come a little early, the transfer window is not shut and there is a fair few games to go. Ask me again when we only have 9 or 10 games left and I might change my predictions.

5 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

And living down here and knowing a few Pompey fans, if we were to lose to them in the playoffs, it would send me into hiding.

Just remind them of the crap their pants with joy moment we gave them beating Southampton on penalty's and that win or lose ,as a Derby fan, they should be kissing your ass forever.

22 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

And living down here and knowing a few Pompey fans, if we were to lose to them in the playoffs, it would send me into hiding.

Have a family member who recently interviewed with Pompey for a job. Said they were a really impressive operation. Bit wobbly recently on the pitch but I think they’ll do better than we do this season 

Edited by kevinhectoring

4th I think, which I would have taken in August and definitely in October. We're definitely not top 2 material. 

Play offs are lottery as we know too well. Difficult to say how we get on. 

Once the shackles are off we should have more financial flexibility. Up till then, we are hamstrung. 

6 hours ago, DerbyAleMan said:

I will go into the last 17 games with a positive attitude, loads to play for, no outstanding team in the division, I will go to every match backing the team, and i believe we will just miss out on top spot, and finish 2nd.. Once A Ram Always A Ram 

IMG_0692.png

It's a bit of a lose lose tbh. We don't go up, it's because we've not recruited right, and if somehow by the grace of God we scrape it, we've got to overhaul 80% of the team with Warnes ever present pulling power in regards to quality players...

What an awful time to be alive.

🙃

5th or 6th and we won't win play offs 

I'm by no means a half fan and travel a long way but if we are in L1 next season with Warne as manager I will not be travelling all over the place to watch , I'll wait until we change manager

3rd Based on the form tables of the last 10/15/20 games it's tight between the top 4. I don't think there's enough in any team to really pull away. Bolton and Portsmouth have difficult run ins but that doesn't meant much the way our performances have shown. If we want top 2 we can't afford to lose more than 2 more games based on the average amount of 2nd placed teams have had over the last 6 years. Not quite sure if we will lose NML for the international break in March (Bolton game) as Washington is injured so we won't fulfill the quota of international players to postpone the match.