Derby v Cheltenham Town - Match Day Thread

It was all a bit FiFa management today...because the idea was having Sibley and Wilson at full back gives us lots of attacking options, maybe even over lapping and tearing them to pieces!!

In reality, Wilson had his worst game.  Just kept trying to force it and losing the ball.  CBT had no clue how /where to go and rarely got an opportunity to run with the ball. Sibley worked hard and did shrug his man off, but oh my he's slow to turn and loses his position. NML was really poor, only Barks had an 'average' game out wide.

Forsyth and Niambe make us so much better its untrue and are better bringing the ball out and not turning it straight back over. 3 at the back is better for now though until we can get proper full backs in.

Nothing came through the middle - at one throw in we had 7 Derby players within 10 yards. Every time we turned inside the passing was scruffy and we turned possession over. Collins was a (very hard working) by-stander for 80% of the game. 

Hourihane and Bird as a 2 was horrendous.  Couldn't understand it at all.

No options on the bench and just let a striker go on loan. An awful lot of injuries, quite a few to players with a history of it that we brought in regardless. 

Looking at the table, a defeat today would really have seen top 2 drifting away. I think Warne got lucky today and that hurts me to say because I want him to succeed.

There needs to be a response because today I just couldn't see that result coming for most of it. 

10 minutes ago, silverback said:

No point moaning about the pitch, since the all barely touched it.

They play hoofball, we joined in first half, second was better once the subs came on.

Two lovely hits for the goals, and I believe we deserved the win as the only team playing football

Skyball is so dull to watch.

Sibley MOTM really ?????

Also loved the formation mowing team at the very end 😂

Gave away a penalty and nearly gave one away when they scored.

Dont know where to start with that. Terrible first half snd start of second. Excellent free kick from Max after poor first half. Big big difference in mood and impact after the subs especially from Max - like a different player. Bradley really calmed things down. Amazing goal from Collins. Their number 6 dirtiest player have seen off ball for very long time.  Pleased that Curtis got the respectful goodby he deserved - take note Mason Bennett. 

Now my rant. OK sibs wasnt perfect but he did well for whole match not in his position rather just 20 minutes towards the end as some did. Warne really annoyed me (for a change) in post-match interview - couldnt just say he stepped in and did well - had to have a go few times about a penalty like the time he said he was worst tackler in the squad. And some on here ask what has happened to Sibley - would say those sort of comments on a daily basis are probably what's happened. Like those little comments he used to make always about Didzy. Tommo back plays ok then back on bench. Fornah made good start at club then disappeared. Wildsmith - what's happened there? He's all about certain players like Collo, CH and plays games withe rest. I dont buy the jovial PW act - I think he plays mind games to get the best out of players but actually comes across as snarky and nasty. And will never get best out of people.  If he's like that in public..... 

if he starts CH next match says everything about him as a manager

50 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

A come from behind, against the run of play win. So said the BBC reporter.

Against the 3rd bottom team at home.

Got out of jail did we?

We've been ahead v Cheltenham for a grand total of 9 minutes out of 180.

This league is garbage and we're only just above average in it.

9 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

What does PW need to change to change our fortunes on the pitch, Is it 3 in midfield? as I read it it looked more comfortable in there with a 3.

Posters saying that the opposition have now sussed us out by doubling up on the wide players, But NML got the ball in for Collins to score from wide 🤷‍♂️

It's 3 welcome points but yet again we fail in the good football department, Our better ability seems to just get us through games instead of being dominant.

Nowt wrong with putting crosses in as the goal proved…..but it can’t be your only tactic.

Once we started mixing our play we became less predictable and it meant Chelts couldn’t keep doubling up as they needed those players to cover central areas which helped NML get the space he needed for that peach of a cross.

We are so poor in the middle of the park. I feel like a broken record, the midfield balance doesn't work and we can't control games as a result. We aren't set up to help the players in there, and we're suffering as a result. 

Personally, it looks like we're running out of ideas. We are just winning from superior quality at the moment in key moments, and not based on game plans. I'm quite concerned about our performances.

5 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

...Now my rant. OK sibs wasnt perfect but he did well for whole match not in his position rather just 20 minutes towards the end as some did. Warne really annoyed me (for a change) in post-match interview - couldnt just say he stepped in and did well - had to have a go few times about a penalty like the time he said he was worst tackler in the squad. And some on here ask what has happened to Sibley - would say those sort of comments on a daily basis are probably what's happened. Like those little comments he used to make always about Didzy. Tommo back plays ok then back on bench. Fornah made good start at club then disappeared. Wildsmith - what's happened there? He's all about certain players like Collo, CH and plays games withe rest. I dont buy the jovial PW act - I think he plays mind games to get the best out of players but actually comes across as snarky and nasty. And will never get best out of people.  If he's like that in public..... 

if he starts CH next match says everything about him as a manager

I agree, yet when I questioned Warne's 'joking' about Sibs it was totally dismissed.

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

To be fair Tyler, other than our position in the league, I can’t believe that any fan is truly happy with the performances and football that has been served up. Do you disagree?

The items which seem to cause constant angst amongst a number of forum members regardless of our league position appear to be - in no particular order -

Warne as manager per se

Warnes tactics 

The current playing squad

Given that all 3 are unlikely to change over the short term I was pondering on how those forum members would cope with this reality?

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The items which seem to cause constant angst amongst a number of forum members regardless of our league position appear to be - in no particular order -

...Given that all 3 are unlikely to change over the short term I was pondering on how those forum members would cope with this reality?

GoC suggested we crowdfund to pay for Warne's sacking.

Edited by RoyMac5

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Warne as manager per se

Warnes tactics 

Given that all 3 are unlikely to change over the short term I was pondering on how those forum members would cope with this reality?

A couple to add….

Performances

Entertaining football.

2 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

I've also been watching Hourihane closely. He makes his pass, then doesn't make himself available to take it back. Passes, then just lazily walks around a bit.

I did exactly the same. Tracked him for a good 5 mins or so in the first half and exactly this!

7 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Warne as manager per se

Warnes tactics 

Well, I cope by hoping desperately that we can somehow, despite playing really badly, haul ourselves into the play offs

2 hours ago, CapeTownRams said:

I’m seriously lost for words to describe how bad we are and how I feel right now.

It’s just atrocious. Almost as if the players have decided to throw everything away deliberately- they couldn’t be any worse.

Self destruction . 

Well , it all turned alright in the end . Collins & Bird have taken stick in the past , but that’s the best way to show your critics. Warne said we didn’t deserve to win but bringing Thomson and Fornah on , made a big difference .

10 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Warne as manager per se

Warnes tactics 

That post makes no sense.

You are asking how fans would cope which suggests a scenario that they are in charge, yet you just list things that are person in charge could change.

Just back home. Well that was a match with lots too talk about. Awful first half, got worse when they scored. Was considering taking up pottery classes on saturday afternoons at that point. Very good substitutions, and the whole outlook of the team changed. Tommo needs to start more often, his energy and biting at opposition's heels are much needed in this division. CBT showed a few good touches, but needs to settle in.

Despite the poor performance, we scraped out a win, which is how to get promoted!

I wish the moaners and boo boys would shut up, and just get behind the team. Booing at the half time whistle, not helping anybody. I've never booed a Derby team in nearly 50 years, and wont be starting now, particularly when we are 1 point off second place, and 3 points off the top. Some people need to get a grip!