Player of the half-season

Kernow

Cashin for me - oozes quality on the ball (that lad can whip a bloody good ball from left side too) & we've been so reliant on his ability to dominate aerially and put his body on the line. Best CB in the division with performances to match.

Honourable mentions for Curtis Nelson & Mendez-Laing. Was a bit apprehensive about Nelson after speaking to some Blackpool fans in the summer but he's been excellent - my only issue with him is his tendency to surrender possession easily with aimless passes/punts. I do think he compliments Cashin really well though, just hope we keep Cashin until the summer & that they are both fortunate with injuries/suspensions. If they manage that, that's the foundation for us to go up.

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

NML gets the plaudits because his stats are barmy this season but Nelson never drops below 7/10 and usually higher 

Our top 3 Whoscored players are Cashin (7.43), Mendez-Laing (7.34), and Nelson (7.09). Cashin is also the top League 1 player, whislt Mendez-Laing is 4th.

In terms of consistency, Cashin has only scored lower than Nelson's average 4 times - the first 2 games of the season, the Bolton game when he cam on as a late sub the day after his deadline day transfer collapse, and Stevenage. He's also only had 4 games rated higher than 8.0

Winner: Nelson. Has been quietly efficient, consistent, strong, plays to his strengths.

Runner-up: Cashin. Has been the flashier defender, eye-catching more often. His distribution ranges from the sublime to the awful. He's trying passes which aren't there 2 or 3 times a game, but at least he's positive.

Bronze medal: NML has been our outstanding attacking threat. Unplayable at times. Goals, assists, never hiding.

Unlucky to miss a medal...Wildsmith. Barely done anything wrong since August. Dependable.

Nyambe has been immense since he came in. Looks a league below his level. If he'd played for us and at that standard from the get go, he'd win hands down for me.

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Our top 3 Whoscored players are Cashin (7.43), Mendez-Laing (7.34), and Nelson (7.09). Cashin is also the top League 1 player, whislt Mendez-Laing is 4th.

In terms of consistency, Cashin has only scored lower than Nelson's average 4 times - the first 2 games of the season, the Bolton game when he cam on as a late sub the day after his deadline day transfer collapse, and Stevenage. He's also only had 4 games rated higher than 8.0

I understand that and it doesn’t surprise me Cash is so highly rated on there. I’m still going with Nelson though because he’s done all that at a brand new club and during a turbulent few months at first too. 

10 hours ago, Carnero said:

Has to be Nelson for me, with NML & Cashin both worthy candidates too. Consistently good performances from Nyambe & Forsyth too, both quietly efficient.

This.

Nelson is quality. Wins every header, doesn't dive in, strong, can carry the ball when he feels like it too. 

NML is runner up. Sometimes has looked our only source of inspiration. 

Cashin is more 'all-action' than Nelson. Gets ahead of his man more, dives in more, looks to play the longer pass more. If he could head as well in the opposition box he could have 3 or 4 goals and be in contention.

Forsyth is solid. Looks decent going forward. Niambe is a brick outhouse (ala Wisdom Mk 1) but hasn't played regularly enough yet.

Think it speaks volumes where the improvements can still come. Sibley, Bird, Hourihane, Wilson, Fornah, Barks, Collins etc can still go up another level... and in the process win us this league.

Edited by Chester40

Cashin for me.  The central defender position usually takes a long time to gain proficiency at, as shown by defenders peaking late.  Of the two central positions, the left is the more difficult one to fill IMO.  Cashin is young, homegrown and is improving steadily as the season goes on.  Won't surprise me if he wins player of the season.

Nelson by a mile for me although I suspect he wouldn't look as effective and unruffled if he didn't have someone as good as Cashin next to him.

Cashin has probably reached greater heights on occasion but Nelson is so consistent and reliable. I had no idea he would be as good as he has been.

13 hours ago, Srg said:

Curtis Nelson. Cashin was wobbly early, and Nelson was maybe for a couple of games but not as long as Cashin was. Bradley partly to blame for holding them both down. NML in with a shout, but he’s only really come on the last 2 months - coinciding with our run. 

This seems a tad unfair. Both seemed to struggle playing in a back 3, but particularly Cashin; I think both have thrived in the more traditional back 4 setup where the centre half role is more easily defined. Don't think Bradley had much to do with it- if anything I actually blamed Nelson for unnecessarily playing the ball back to him under press and putting him in a pressured position to make the mistake in the first place against Wigan... game of opinions eh 

Edited by YorkshireRam

Nelson for me after his initial slightly wobbly start when I don't think he was happy in a 3. Now as part of a central defensive 2 which is obviously what he has played all his life he's just totally consistently solid. Cashin is playing really well now but remember he went through is sticky patch so its Nelson for me. But I love Wilson and he's coming on well now  

Just now, Gerry Daly said:

Nelson for me after his initial slightly wobbly start when I don't think he was happy in a 3. Now as part of a central defensive 2 which is obviously what he has played all his life he's just totally consistently solid. Cashin is playing really well now but remember he went through is sticky patch so its Nelson for me. But I love Wilson and he's coming on well now  

I would largely agree with this, Nyambe arriving at Carlisle improved Nelson immeasurably 

For me at this stage you can’t look much beyond the back 5 of Foz, Cash, Nelson, Nyambe and Wildsmith with an honourable mention to NML but the crunch time starts now and it would be good to see the likes of Bird, Wilson and Collins come into the frame indicating we are consistently dominating games. Hard to choose between Nelson and Cashin at the moment but Nelson just edges it.