Player of the half-season

Kernow

Got to be Curtis so far, for me has been the most consistent player from the first game to the last played. Cashin has been excellent apart from a very slow start, probably due to the transfer speculation. NML would be second with an excellent season so far, exciting every time he gets on the ball, pity Barks or Sibs can’t perform with the same consistency. Like others have said a special mention for Collo, without him not sure where we’d sit in the league with very few other options up front with Wash and Waghorn never available. It worries me if Collo was to get injured, we could certainly do with bringing another striker in.

On 29/12/2023 at 14:55, Ellafella said:

image.png.da5358642336b75e76bae99cd5cecd1f.png

Bonkers that Jimmy Collins is ranked #16th best with a rating scarcely higher than the median. The standard deviation figure tells its own story in that regard, I guess. I think I'd probably rate his season thus far as being a smidge off Nyambe, Nelson, Cash and Nate, a small smidge! 

45 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Bonkers that Jimmy Collins is ranked #16th best with a rating scarcely higher than the median. The standard deviation figure tells its own story in that regard, I guess. I think I'd probably rate his season thus far as being a smidge off Nyambe, Nelson, Cash and Nate, a small smidge! 

His more recent scores will lift him higher; I’ll post an update soon. I think as his fitness has improved - he hardly played the season before he signed - his scoring has too & that has improved his confidence into a virtuous cycle. He seems to get into the box more often now and still works at defensive duties. He’s poised to have an outstanding season - if the ideal scenario comes to pass Derby will get promotion & he’ll hit 20 goals. Don’t want to tempt fate - he could get injured - but it’s all nicely poised. 

• 1 month later...

For whatever reason, these things always seem biased towards defenders.

I don’t know if it’s because their job’s to be consistent and to make lots of smaller contributions throughout a match or what.

But even in the Exeter ratings, a lot of people have Nelson and NML as the same, despite the latter getting a goal and an assist.

Everybody craves a 20 goal a season striker and a wingers equivalent to that is 10 goals and 10 assists. With just under a third of the season left to go NML’s already on 8 and 12 (9 and 14 in all comps).

He’s having an incredible season so far and yet I get the impression he isn’t even favourite for our POTS. 

8 minutes ago, cannable said:

For whatever reason, these things always seem biased towards defenders.

I don’t know if it’s because their job’s to be consistent and to make lots of smaller contributions throughout a match or what.

But even in the Exeter ratings, a lot of people have Nelson and NML as the same, despite the latter getting a goal and an assist.

Everybody craves a 20 goal a season striker and a wingers equivalent to that is 10 goals and 10 assists. With just under a third of the season left to go NML’s already on 8 and 12 (9 and 14 in all comps).

He’s having an incredible season so far and yet I get the impression he isn’t even favourite for our POTS. 

Very good defending can be considered as good as a goal or an assist. I don’t remember anything spectacular off the top of my head but Nelson had yet another very solid game. If that prevents good goal scoring opportunities or a goal, then it should be recognised as much as what the forwards contribute.

Maybe less so for player of the season but, when it comes to man of the match, I take a different view and think they are generally biased towards the forwards. If a player scores a couple of goals, you can almost guarantee he will get man of the match even if a defender has contributed more to the result. In short, I’d say good goal scorers get the attention and the headlines whilst good defenders go under the radar.