Wigan Athletic v Derby County

B4’s Sister

3 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Wigan were hopeless and only came forward with any purpose once they brought mcmanaman on and we fell back into our final third.

We weren't under any sustained pressure that required a huge defensive effort. That's the point being made.

No, it wasn't that Wigan were hopeless, in the first half at least Derby were very, very good and played them off the park 

9 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

No, it wasn't that Wigan were hopeless, in the first half at least Derby were very, very good and played them off the park 

Didn't take us long to develop into a good four at the back possession based team did it? 😉 #COYR

57 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Very much seemed like a unified defensive effort to me.

Are you softening on Warne like I am?

Merry Christmas Nick.  I hope a good 2024 lies ahead.

I am still not a fan of Warne, and I don’t think I will ever be. He’s just not my cup of tea personality wise, which is hardly important, but his style of football really does not appeal at all. I don’t think he can evolve from the way he likes to play/coach, which will not suit the top 2 divisions where I want to see us be competitive. I have been consistent over the last 15 months saying he will get us up, and this season he should walk if he doesn’t get us promoted one way or another. We have good players, and he has had good financial backing, to compete successfully in a very poor league. @angieram and you would get us up this season in my opinion.

I post less on the subject because I was boring myself, let alone others. The main thing is that the Rams go up this season, and I am 100% behind the players, including Collins who gets far too much stick on here at times.

COY beautiful Rams!

Hate being critical but thought NML was a bit off it yesterday although I think PW said he was a doubt for the game with a knock so perhaps understandable. I agree that the first 60 mins was probably the best we have played all season although I did worry that those early missed chances would come back to haunt us. Really surprised at the size of the home support, the home goal end was virtually empty

17 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Have I missed a rule change that promotes and relegates teams based upon xG 😏

Seems a fascination with another stat, that is actually quite useless after the game, especially as it's proven that it's not even accurate.

Like the stat that you can only win games by having a majority of possession and passes, even if 80% takes place between your own back four in your own half.😉

44 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Merry Christmas Nick.  I hope a good 2024 lies ahead.

I am still not a fan of Warne, and I don’t think I will ever be. He’s just not my cup of tea personality wise, which is hardly important, but his style of football really does not appeal at all. I don’t think he can evolve from the way he likes to play/coach, which will not suit the top 2 divisions where I want to see us be competitive. I have been consistent over the last 15 months saying he will get us up, and this season he should walk if he doesn’t get us promoted one way or another. We have good players, and he has had good financial backing, to compete successfully in a very poor league. @angieram and you would get us up this season in my opinion.

I post less on the subject because I was boring myself, let alone others. The main thing is that the Rams go up this season, and I am 100% behind the players, including Collins who gets far too much stick on here at times.

COY beautiful Rams!

And to you, Tim!

2 hours ago, DRBee said:

With our current unbeaten run should we not be back on board the Warne train by now? What more could they be doing given the accepted limitations of some of the squad? Definite progression  in performance in the last few games. More settled team selection and the individual improvement of players like Wilson gives hope that we can be more consistent.

Performances hadn’t been convincing despite the brilliant results. Similar to last season’s strong run. I want to see performances like that which we saw for 60 minutes yesterday to convince me we are good enough to go toe to toe with the best teams in the division when we meet them.

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Performances hadn’t been convincing despite the brilliant results. Similar to last season’s strong run. I want to see performances like that which we saw for 60 minutes yesterday to convince me we are good enough to go toe to toe with the best teams in the division when we meet them.

Dont know how much of other teams you watch, but im starting to believe it is just League One. Most “good” teams are exactly like we are. Will batter some teams, then play indifferently most of the time but grind out wins. 

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Dont know how much of other teams you watch, but im starting to believe it is just League One. Most “good” teams are exactly like we are. Will batter some teams, then play indifferently most of the time but grind out wins. 

Yes, most lower league teams have players who are good some days, poor on other days.

Our ball control was much better yesterday which made the passing look good.

What I am pleased about is watching an away game without thinking we would crumble or allow the home side to dictate.

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

Yeah and that’s fine for league one teams but ultimately we want to go up so we’ve got to be better/more consistent than that. Things will always regress back to the mean over a long period of time which means we have to ensure performances are strong. I’m happy with parts of this run we’ve been on. I’ve enjoyed it but after the disappointment of falling away last season I’ve been burned before. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Didn't take us long to develop into a good four at the back possession based team did it? 😉 #COYR

Must be awful for you that that’s the way Warne wants us to play Roy, and that we’re have a modicum of success with him overseeing it?

my first away day for many years yesterday after health issues scuppered my trip to Crewe, and it was thoroughly enjoyable. Here’s hoping to a few more over the rest of the season!

7 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Yeah and that’s fine for league one teams but ultimately we want to go up so we’ve got to be better/more consistent than that. Things will always regress back to the mean over a long period of time which means we have to ensure performances are strong. I’m happy with parts of this run we’ve been on. I’ve enjoyed it but after the disappointment of falling away last season I’ve been burned before. 

We have double figures out of contract (I think) in the summer. If we went up, this isn’t going to be close to the team that would start the first game in the championship. Worry about that if we manage to get promotion. 

2 hours ago, ap04 said:

So these were poor but Wigan we made them look poor?

Except these are the league's top/5th/10th sides and Wigan just about the worst (and Port Vale was not even, watch the highlights).

We had 5 chances more, one goal lead is about right. 3 or 4 goals would normally take 11 to 15 chances.

https://footystats.org/england/efl-league-one/xg  https://footballxg.com/xg-league-tables  https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/08/league-one-stats-2023-24-opta

I won't totally dismiss xG as think it offers interesting context but am struggling to take seriously any League One table that says Barnsley are the joint 7th worst side in the division. Similarly, there is no way Wigan are that bad compared to the likes of Carlisle, Orient & Exeter. Just to clarify, I also never called Wigan 'poor'...I said they were clearly a decent/good side that we made look ordinary.

P.s. no need to watch Port Vale highlights, I saw the whole game at the time thanks....they should have scored with that first half breakaway chance & with honourable exception of JJ finish, a pretty flat performance from us, esp first half.

3 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

Hate being critical but thought NML was a bit off it yesterday although I think PW said he was a doubt for the game with a knock so perhaps understandable. I agree that the first 60 mins was probably the best we have played all season although I did worry that those early missed chances would come back to haunt us. Really surprised at the size of the home support, the home goal end was virtually empty

Took this immediately before kickoff.

IMG_2627.jpeg

3 hours ago, DiggerB said:

Must be awful for you that that’s the way Warne wants us to play Roy, and that we’re have a modicum of success with him overseeing it?

my first away day for many years yesterday after health issues scuppered my trip to Crewe, and it was thoroughly enjoyable. Here’s hoping to a few more over the rest of the season!

No, unlike you I haven't that kind of mind. Derby County are successful and that is great. 

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

Took this immediately before kickoff.

IMG_2627.jpeg

About 10,000 home fans yesterday.  Wigan is halfway between Liverpool and Manchester so the lure of the big clubs must make it difficult.  Same applies to many smaller clubs especially in the North West and near to London.