Derby v Lincoln City

B4’s Sister

Listening to Radio Derby, I reckon I’ve been to a different game. They’re going on about how well we played and how good Collins was and how good Lincoln were. 

I’m very pleased to have won and it was a bit better than Saturday, but I wouldn’t say we played well, I thought Collins was awful apart from the goal and Lincoln were pretty poor.  Game of opinions! 

First half was awful, punctuated by Hourihane’s fine strike. 

Nobody was demanding the ball, particularly in the midfield, which meant we went sideways or long.

No danger from them but Ward just isn’t a defender and his tackle was dumb.

Second half started slow again but Wilson raised the tempo, as did Sibley, and gradually players started to wake up.

Wish we could play with that intensity from the start. We have a reasonable squad now and can afford to give players a breather.

Lovely to see Thompson back.

Glad I travelled up from Bristol. Hotel bed beckons 😊

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Nobody was demanding the ball, particularly in the midfield, which meant we went sideways or long.

Second half started slow again but Wilson raised the tempo, as did Sibley, and gradually players started to wake up.

Wish we could play with that intensity from the start. We have a reasonable squad now and can afford to give players a breather.

I think we have to accept that we can’t dominate and play with that intensity you mention for 90 minutes. What we have to do is take our chances when we have our periods of dominance. 

34 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Agreed he certainly made a positive impact (although I'd be tempted to say the impact made by Wilson was even better). If only he'd hit the ball towards the goal when NML's effort was saved and played a sensible pass instead of taking a wild shot towards the end it would have an excellent game for him.

Wilson’s impact was great, but I don’t think he really made that impact until Sibley was on the pitch (unless I was mistaken). Warne himself said Wilson didn’t play great for the first 10 mins or so of the second half. 

19 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Listening to Radio Derby, I reckon I’ve been to a different game. They’re going on about how well we played and how good Collins was and how good Lincoln were. 

I’m very pleased to have won and it was a bit better than Saturday, but I wouldn’t say we played well, I thought Collins was awful apart from the goal and Lincoln were pretty poor.  Game of opinions! 

I was the same, don’t think Collins did much apart from his goal. He does work hard, but need a striker involved in the game a bit more for me.

Thought Lincoln were awful, no idea what Eric Steele is basing his dark horse tip on for them!

Keep getting the wins though, nice habit to have.

Thought warnes interview made sense tonight as well, happy with win but want to play much better. Big three games ahead.

Another good win, wasn't in doubt for me, thought we looked the better team throughout. That said, I worry our injuries will catch up with us, teams are playing more deep and compact against us and we are missing that depth to offer us something different when coming off bench.

Good to be talking about what's happening on pitch again though, shows we are heading in right direction 😏

15 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I think we have to accept that we can’t dominate and play with that intensity you mention for 90 minutes. What we have to do is take our chances when we have our periods of dominance. 

I wouldn’t expect it for 90 minutes. Just want it from the start. We look like we want to stroll around and hope someone else does something great.

Players stand next to defenders and don’t want the ball which makes the guy in possession try something very ambitious and we lose it.

Let’s get everyone wanting the ball and we’ll fly this league!

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

Wilson’s impact was great, but I don’t think he really made that impact until Sibley was on the pitch (unless I was mistaken). Warne himself said Wilson didn’t play great for the first 10 mins or so of the second half. 

What Sibley did was exactly what Bird and Fornah don't.  Give a defence something to be concerned with, by running at them 40 yards from goal rather than collecting sideways on and moving slowly.  it's shifting them from a a comfortable position in their own third and making space.  Sometimes he's better at it than at other times but I can't see any benefit in him sitting on his arse watching Fornah looking like Bambi on ice for an hour. He's a better player.

28 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I know work rate is something anyone can do but Collins was phenomenal in that aspect tonight.

Some good touches under pressure and a good goal which closed the game out.

I think that’s harsh to say he didn’t play well.

25 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I didn't think the first 45 was too bad after an iffy first 10. Controlled the game, scored and created 2 more clear chances.

In the end, their goal and subsequent 2nd half ambition counted against them. When the game got stretched, it played into our hands.

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

What Sibley did was exactly what Bird and Fornah don't.  Give a defence something to be concerned with, by running at them 40 yards from goal rather than collecting sideways on and moving slowly.  it's shifting them from a a comfortable position in their own third and making space.  Sometimes he's better at it than at other times but I can't see any benefit in him sitting on his arse watching Fornah looking like Bambi on ice for an hour. He's a better player.

Unfortunately, Hourihane and Bird are untouchable. Can play s**** for weeks on end and never get hooked. Wasn’t Fornah’s best game, but he was no worse than a handful of others tonight. 

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Fornah looks lost in that role in my opinion. I also continue to think I’d like Bird a bit further back - he doesn’t know when to make the runs and struggles to find the pockets.