Crewe Alexandra versus Derby County - Match Day Thread ( FA Cup 1st Round )

S8TY

1 minute ago, ck- said:

Well maybe I’m going to be shouted down for this, but I didn’t think we were terrible. We’re tidy playing through to the edge of the box, but then either hit a powder puff shot or push it out wide for a cross, which is inevitably high and long. 
Two silly goals conceded, with Forsyth falling asleep for the first and Wildsmith not strong enough for the second. 

You're right. Apart from attacking, or defending, we did ok.

That was nowhere near good enough against Crewe reserves. It's a meaningless game, but we were just doing the same thing again and again and again. Rubbish.

4 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

His failings? What about those players on the pitch*

Warne sets the game plan. It's like they had collectively forgotten what worked against Northampton.

How many aimless crosses got headed away without a Derby shirt anywhere near it? The two goals we actually scored were when the ball was on the deck and moved at pace.

The players play the way they are told.

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

In the OTT mould of many a post over recent weeks...

That was the best finish to a game I have ever, ever seen in the history of me watching FA Cup football on ITVX on a Sunday afternoon in just my pants.

In terms of the image, that was the worst finish to a post following a game of FA Cup football on ITVX on a Sunday afternoon wearing my Sunday best like any self-respecting gent should.

19 minutes ago, MaltRam said:

If Paul Warne had a shred of dignity, or respect for the club, he'd resign before the press interviews.

Had that typed ready for full time. Genuinely thought I'd submit before the end to tempt fate. No need to thank me.

Just now, WharfedaleRam said:

Never mind Warne's management, how many of our players scuffed shots on goal today? Barks was a big culprit. You can only manage players to a certain extent - they have to be able to kick a football too!!

True but you can have some say in how much of the match they play if they scuff a lot of shots and muff a lot of crosses generally

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Warne sets the game plan. It's like they had collectively forgotten what worked against Northampton.

How many aimless crosses got headed away without a Derby shirt anywhere near it? The two goals we actually scored were when the ball was on the deck and moved at pace.

The players play the way they are told.

Northampton set up completely different to Crewe. A few people pointed out the gaps and space Northampton left at the back, and said not every team will allow us to play like that.

Crewe had 5 on 6 yard line for 90 mins. They set up much better than Northampton, and it exposed our weaknesses. Credit where it's due, they did well.

6 minutes ago, ck- said:

Well maybe I’m going to be shouted down for this, but I didn’t think we were terrible. We’re tidy playing through to the edge of the box, but then either hit a powder puff shot or push it out wide for a cross, which is inevitably high and long. 
Two silly goals conceded, with Forsyth falling asleep for the first and Wildsmith not strong enough for the second. 

I agree, we dominated the game and weren’t at it in the final third until the last few mins. Crewe gave a good account of themselves as many clubs do in cup ties.