That Conor Washington Fella

Day

7 hours ago, Srg said:

When I say move, I mean being slightly athletic and have any pace. Collins ambles around slowly into the wrong position. 

You know that’s just plain wrong. Collins is past his best and in any case was and is a league one striker with all the flaws that entails. BUT One thing Collins does do is get in good positions. I can’t defend the missed chances but you know, he should have played Barks in the other week and got slated. Barks did the same but not a whisper. Not on in my book. 

Collo isn’t the answer to “Derby’s No 9” but he is a Ram, he’s our player, he works, turns up and does stuff (did anyone notice the the back flick exchange with NML last night ?  

I find the toxicity towards him from some quarters simply loathsome. We had the same over Bradley but he seems to have been forgiven by the mob (for now) The same mob that are wanting to crucify the manager and have zero patience and zero understanding of the meaning of support. Some supporters seem to revel in attacking our own for mistakes, bad luck or whatever other something they can use to focus their puerile attitude to sport.

Pompous ? Angry ? Opinionated ? Yes .. I am guilty of all of them but when a player has our shirt on I back them, I don’t set out to trip them up or rejoice in mishaps. And no .. it isn’t “bants” or a “larf” 

11 minutes ago, jono said:

You know that’s just plain wrong. Collins is past his best and in any case was and is a league one striker with all the flaws that entails. BUT One thing Collins does do is get in good positions. I can’t defend the missed chances but you know, he should have played Barks in the other week and got slated. Barks did the same but not a whisper. Not on in my book. 

Collo isn’t the answer to “Derby’s No 9” but he is a Ram, he’s our player, he works, turns up and does stuff (did anyone notice the the back flick exchange with NML last night ?  

This is just plain wrong. He hardly ever gets into good positions.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

This is just plain wrong. He hardly ever gets into good positions.

I agree with Jono, Roy how many games have u seen live, Collins does take up good positions, does not always finish them, but he does get in good pisitions, a little tip for you, go and see them play live once in a while and you will see more of what is happening on the pitch, hope u enjoyed the highlights of last nights game, much better, I am sure you will agree with me. 

8 minutes ago, DerbyAleMan said:

I agree with Jono, Roy how many games have u seen live, Collins does take up good positions, does not always finish them, but he does get in good pisitions, a little tip for you, go and see them play live once in a while and you will see more of what is happening on the pitch, hope u enjoyed the highlights of last nights game, much better, I am sure you will agree with me. 

I'll stick to watching him on the radio thanks. 😄

56 minutes ago, jono said:

I find the toxicity towards him from some quarters simply loathsome. We had the same over Bradley but he seems to have been forgiven by the mob (for now) The same mob that are wanting to crucify the manager and have zero patience and zero understanding of the meaning of support. Some supporters seem to revel in attacking our own for mistakes, bad luck or whatever other something they can use to focus their puerile attitude to sport.

Pompous ? Angry ? Opinionated ? Yes .. I am guilty of all of them but when a player has our shirt on I back them, I don’t set out to trip them up or rejoice in mishaps. And no .. it isn’t “bants” or a “larf” 

I prefer to call a spade a spade regardless. Do I want him to score? Yes. Do I want him to play well? Yes. Do I want him to prove me wrong? Absolutely. If he’s played badly, he’s played badly. There’s no amount of putting lipstick on a pig or happy clapping claiming you’re a full fan going to change that. 

This whole mob malarkey is just nonsense. As you’ve proven with Bradley. He was playing awful, he played well and everyone has commended him for it. It’s that simple. 

Over the course of the season we’re going to need goals from everywhere. Collo may not be our first choice in some games but he has a role to play. He scored our only goal in the draw against Portsmouth, he scored both in a 2-0 win at Carlisle and he scored the 2nd in the win against Blackpool. Agreed he could have added to that at Cheltenham and Shrewsbury. He’s a League One striker - not PL - his conversion rate is going to be low. But he works his nuts off and by all accounts is a great for building togetherness in the dressing room. 

All of the strikers have looked good in some games and pants in others - but at least we have options when that happens now!!

Wasn’t recovering from an operation/injury last season when we signed him? So did not fully do the pre season followed by a couple of niggles.

Probably on the upward trajectory for his true capability so should not judge of first few outings anyway and reason to be hopeful his current form is closer to his true level.

18 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Good person = low maintenance and easy to manage.

Typically favoured by lower league managers, not used to or willing to deal with the egos associated with top tier footballers.

There's nothing wrong with that, per se, but it's likely going to limit the level at which you're comfortable managing.

18 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Define good person? 

I imagine Taraabt at QPR was a pain in the arse but he single handedly fired them up. Now he may be an exception and whilst I agree that team spirit is important, i don’t think our summer business was as good as it should’ve been. Whether that’s on recruitment or Warne is pure speculation.

Colin spoke quite a bit about Taraabt in his book. Yes he was a bit of a prima donna, but Colin seemed to manage him pretty easily overall. Just massaged his ego and let him believe he was everything he thought he was. Result = Taraabt was a game changer. Not sure Warne has the same ability to be that flexible. 

22 hours ago, David said:

Just on that Rotherham thing, you know when you create a topic and later think why didn't I say that at the time? Maybe trying to avoid an essay, who knows but....

I never quite understood the turning up the nose of any Rotherham player that was linked, with any signing all background checks on their character on and off the pitch, if work hard in training etc. is all gathered by references, via third parties.

What's better than previously working with a player and wanting to bring them with you?

I can only put it down to that we're bigger and better than Rotherham to be signing any of their players, which kind of ignores the current league status of both clubs, or is it a Warne = crap so Rotherham players = crap assumption?

Don't get me wrong, there is a limit to how many former players you can bring before it looks like you're recreating Rotherham at Derby and that has to be a worry, this wasn't the case. As we've seen today with the Eustace link, these former connection links are always made, can't go bursting blood vessels over each one.

It's funny really as when Lampard was here everyone was asking where all the Chelsea superstar youngsters were, like Mount and Tomori were never here.

We're not too big for Rotherham players, need to lose that snobbery as he looks a useful player for us that many appear to be warming to now.

I don't think it's the "we're a bigger club thing". It's just that in this day and age we'd expect there to a more objective, data-driven recruitment process. Darren Robinson has talked about this quite a bit on Radio Derby. Relying on players you already know seems like what might be termed 'familiarity bias'....

1 hour ago, Red Ram said:

I don't think it's the "we're a bigger club thing". It's just that in this day and age we'd expect there to a more objective, data-driven recruitment process. Darren Robinson has talked about this quite a bit on Radio Derby. Relying on players you already know seems like what might be termed 'familiarity bias'....

I hear you, at the same time one or two with the familiarity bias isn't a bad thing, knowing exactly what they are getting 

23 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

He's been very average to below average so far so let's not get carried away, but last night was a much better performance from him. Let's hope that's the real Washington. Deserves to keep his starting place for Sunday.

Saw him play a couple of times for QPR and he was beyond poor. But his record at this level (Posh, Charlton, Rotherham) is decent so let's hope he can get a run of form going. His goal on Tue was very good, though I'm still not sure if the drag back / dummy was intentional or just him getting the ball trapped under this foot. Either way, back of the onion sack and all that.