That Conor Washington Fella

Day

He's not doing too bad is he? That goal last night was a bit of alright.

496 minutes played which is the equivalent of 5.5 games worth of football, in that 3 goals and 2 assists.

So a goal every 165 minutes (1.8 games).

Joint 3rd goalscorer, kinda need to see him on the pitch more right? Just need to forget he used to play for Rotherham as that doesn't go down too well with some 😬

24 minutes ago, David said:

496 minutes played which is the equivalent of 5.5 games worth of football, in that 3 goals and 2 assists.

Joint 3rd goalscorer, kinda need to see him on the pitch more right? Just need to forget he used to play for Rotherham as that doesn't go down too well with some 😬

I genuinely love the guy. Offers us something completely different with his movement.

Makes it all the more sillier why some fans felt the need to cheer when he got subbed off at Stevenage despite scoring that goal against Exeter.

A very good workhorse signing.

56 minutes ago, David said:

He was excellent last night, scored a very good goal and was involved constantly.
Previous to that, I think he’s been quite poor. Poor link up, poor decisions or final ball. He’s not looked that quick either. It has nothing to do from coming from Rotherham, he’s just looked average. Maybe he’s not been fully fit, as last night he was class.

Fingers crossed he can continue that level of performance against more advanced opponents. 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

He can move. It’s a low bar, but that’s really all it takes to put him ahead of Collins. 

Took his goal really well last night, and a good assist. Interchanged a lot, drifting in and out. That doesn’t work with other options. 

Id be genuinely shocked if anyone thought lack of movement was one of Collins faults.

His main fault is that he moves too much instead of staying where he should be.

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Id be genuinely shocked if anyone thought lack of movement was one of Collins faults.

When I say move, I mean being slightly athletic and have any pace. Collins ambles around slowly into the wrong position. 

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Collins would be better if he stayed in the penalty area preferably in between the goal posts. I think he tries to make up for his lack of footballing skills by working hard it is possible that Collins work ethic is what makes PW pick him. 

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

Just on that Rotherham thing, you know when you create a topic and later think why didn't I say that at the time? Maybe trying to avoid an essay, who knows but....

I never quite understood the turning up the nose of any Rotherham player that was linked, with any signing all background checks on their character on and off the pitch, if work hard in training etc. is all gathered by references, via third parties.

What's better than previously working with a player and wanting to bring them with you?

I can only put it down to that we're bigger and better than Rotherham to be signing any of their players, which kind of ignores the current league status of both clubs, or is it a Warne = crap so Rotherham players = crap assumption?

Don't get me wrong, there is a limit to how many former players you can bring before it looks like you're recreating Rotherham at Derby and that has to be a worry, this wasn't the case. As we've seen today with the Eustace link, these former connection links are always made, can't go bursting blood vessels over each one.

It's funny really as when Lampard was here everyone was asking where all the Chelsea superstar youngsters were, like Mount and Tomori were never here.

We're not too big for Rotherham players, need to lose that snobbery as he looks a useful player for us that many appear to be warming to now.

6 minutes ago, David said:

Just on that Rotherham thing, you know when you create a topic and later think why didn't I say that at the time? Maybe trying to avoid an essay, who knows but....

I never quite understood the turning up the nose of any Rotherham player that was linked, with any signing all background checks on their character on and off the pitch, if work hard in training etc. is all gathered by references, via third parties.

What's better than previously working with a player and wanting to bring them with you?

I can only put it down to that we're bigger and better than Rotherham to be signing any of their players, which kind of ignores the current league status of both clubs, or is it a Warne = crap so Rotherham players = crap assumption?

Don't get me wrong, there is a limit to how many former players you can bring before it looks like you're recreating Rotherham at Derby and that has to be a worry, this wasn't the case. As we've seen today with the Eustace link, these former connection links are always made, can't go bursting blood vessels over each one.

It's funny really as when Lampard was here everyone was asking where all the Chelsea superstar youngsters were, like Mount and Tomori were never here.

We're not too big for Rotherham players, need to lose that snobbery as he looks a useful player for us that many appear to be warming to now.

You’re right @David you definitely didn’t avoid an essay 😏

32 minutes ago, David said:

Personally I don’t care where the signings come from if they can play.

However, do I think Washington is good enough to be a starter at a promotion winning side? No

Is he better than Collins? And can he play a part in a promotion winning side as a squad player? Yes and yes.

Think a lot of moaning about Rotherham came from the lack of forward signings and Warne’s insistence of them having to be a good person. As scouting goes it’s a little bit naff.

Edited by TomTom92

1 minute ago, TomTom92 said:

Personally I don’t care where the signings come from if they can play.

However, do I think Washington is good enough to be a starter at a promotion running side? No

Is he better than Collins? And can he play a part in a promotion winning side as a squad player? Yes and yes.

Think a lot of moaning about Rotherham came from the lack of forward signings and Warne’s insistence of them having to be a good person. As scouting goes it’s a little bit naff.

Is insisting they are a good person a bad thing?

You don't want to throw a ticking time bomb into the dressing room surely, regardless of individual talent. 

It's got to be number 2 on the checklist.

1) Can we afford him

2) Are they a good person

3) Are they good enough for the team

Probably goes more in depth than that, but yeah, good person is super important. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Still need to movement though Washington didn’t just move out wide he moved centrally and off the shoulder. Collins only movement is to go out on the wing. 

15 minutes ago, David said:

Is insisting they are a good person a bad thing?

You don't want to throw a ticking time bomb into the dressing room surely, regardless of individual talent. 

It's got to be number 2 on the checklist.

1) Can we afford him

2) Are they a good person

3) Are they good enough for the team

Probably goes more in depth than that, but yeah, good person is super important. 

Define good person? 

I imagine Taraabt at QPR was a pain in the arse but he single handedly fired them up. Now he may be an exception and whilst I agree that team spirit is important, i don’t think our summer business was as good as it should’ve been. Whether that’s on recruitment or Warne is pure speculation.

Good person = low maintenance and easy to manage.

Typically favoured by lower league managers, not used to or willing to deal with the egos associated with top tier footballers.

There's nothing wrong with that, per se, but it's likely going to limit the level at which you're comfortable managing.

Edited by Kokosnuss