Derby County versus Northampton Town (H) Match Thread

S8TY

Bradley’s distribution tonight was first class, mentioned it to the old man just before we scored our first (came from his incisive pass into NML didn’t it?) that he’s moving the ball quickly and playing good balls forward, low into the midfield and Washington. Even the passes across to Nelson he was sweeping them across first time rather than taking a touch which just meant that we were moving the ball with pace. He was happy to play it through their press as well which immediately put us on the front foot. I was really taken aback by how impressed I was. 

*yes he has the one honker at the end 
** yes Northampton are the worst team I’ve seen for a long time

Best home performance of the season, comfortably. Northampton not up to a great deal, but we still played well against what was in front of us. 

Bradley was much more like the player we thought we signed. He was a bit of a wish.com Keogh with the way he took a couple of steps forward and fired passes with purpose into the middle of the field. He massively helped us not to be so one-dimensional and keep going down the wings as we have been doing, so huge kudos to him for that. 

I think in general, it was the most fluid we’ve been positionally. Likely aided by Washington as the striker who is able to move and drift, but Barkhuizen, NML and Bird all interchanged a hell of a lot and we weren’t so rigid like usual. Made everything work much better and look more natural.

Huge to put a performance in like this when we have a run of home games coming up this month. Those three games can really shape a direction for the next portion of the season. 

Only real frustration was Brown coming on later when the game was very much over and most of our attacking intent had been subbed off or died off. Collins is horrendous at the best of times, but regardless of that, I didn’t see the value in bringing him on when he came on and not Brown in a game that’s 4-0 when there’s a lot more experience and things to learn from Brown than there ever would be from Collins. 

I felt it was an exceptional performance for the first 60 mins, with the defensive side of our game being very good throughout, especially with winning the ball back in midfield. 6 different players with goals/assists is also a very encouraging sign.

The only real downside for me was the yse of subs. Momentum was lost when we made our changes, with less emphasis on playing through the middle and getting it wide, especially after Bird cane off and we went with 2 up top.

It was a shame Brown couldn't be brought on earlier before changing our system. It's also a shame that Suboey is back to the bench after 2 goals and 1 assist in less than 300 minute of action, with only 120 of those in his best position.

6 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Had one of those yorkshire pudding wraps last match at HT. Filled a gap but not really much to it other than the wrap and a cheap sausage with a pot of so-so gravy. Thought it would have some mash in it too but alas not.

Chicken goujons & chips today 

8 f****** quid. decent enough quality tbf but overpriced by £5

A genuinely excellent performance tonight,we looked like a team from the league above against Northampton.

Great movement and aggression and some lovely touches and control throughout the team.

And,what a lovely set of goals,all well crafted and taken.

I was especially impressed by Washington tonight,every ball stuck to his feet and he looked full of confidence.

I actually enjoyed that very much tonight.

Hopefully the start of the revival.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Always thought that Barkhuizen & NML just have an understanding when played together that results in us getting the best out of both of them, and I'm always disappointed they don't get more time on the pitch together more often.

Wingers Union?

Edited by Kokosnuss

Great watch.

Wonderful to see passing on the deck through midfield, creating and taking chances (well until they fell to Collins) but....boy oh boy....

Northampton have to be one of the worst sides I've ever seen. Did any of their players break sweat?

"You can only beat what's in front of you" but the Northampton players weren't even in front of us, they stood aside, take Washington's goal as the prime example.

Anyhow, COYR 🐏 more of the same please.

Edited by IslandExile

Northampton were poor tonight or was it that Derby were really good? They haven't lost by more than one goal all season and have played against the 4 teams directly above us, actually beating Peterborough. So they weren't cannon fodder going into tonight's game. Remember, non of the goals were the result of defenders mistakes, all four were crafted by Derby. What percentage of goals have we conceded this season because of individual errors?

Big shout out to the officials, clamped down one bad tackle in the second minute but then allowed a proper man's game by letting the game flow with a few niggly 'fouls' for either side being ignored. Washington's booking was justified for stopping a potentially dangerous break.

Edited by ram59
Clarity

Think the back was amazing tonight which gave the front four a platform to go an express themselves by playing more fluid football. Amazing to think that the back four were at four different clubs last season, they looked like a cohesive unit. Bradley will be a great player for us once all the rustiness leaves him.