You might not realise it but Paul Warne's doing pretty well

After 12 months of Paul Warne's tenure, this forum is completely divided still as to his future as our head coach. While it’s noticeable that the threads about his position have slipped down the ranking on the forum this week, I am very aware that they may climb back up by the end of the month, depending on the results of the next few games.

There should be no need to remind anyone about the club’s perilous position just 16 months ago, the 11th hour rescue which left us a month before last season started with just five contracted professional players and how ultimately we just missed out on a play-off place. The owner told us he wanted the club to become financially sustainable with the head coach being given time to take his squad forward at the same time the academy was being rebuilt. He also said this could take time and when he chose Paul Warne he said that immediate promotion was not a condition of his appointment. We all know that but many still pay lip service to it and would like to press the panic button now and change the head coach.

I said at the time the club was fighting for it’s very existence that I had never seen the fans so united since the years of Clough & Taylor, Mackay & Anderson. In all of our successful periods over the years, the fans support was fundamental to driving our players on. The current players get that too as you often see when they wave their arms to encourage us to up the volume when Pride Park falls quiet. Our support is vital.

What does Paul Warne make of what he is hearing now? I don’t know because he seems to not want to encourage the negativity by discussing it for fear that it might only make things worse. But he must be acutely aware of the mood because no-one can spend so much time here as he does without being aware.

Some on here temper their criticism by ending with the rider but ‘he is a nice bloke.’ Maybe he is thinking it would be humble of some of those fans to return in kind some of his niceness and just stop carping about how we are doing on the pitch and stop demanding that he be put out of work at such an early stage of his contracted employment. Why would he think this?:

Simply because for starters, as we all know, he has achieved three previous promotions from this division and that is why he was brought here in the first place. Secondly, and this may come as a surprise to some, after 10 games this season his team has made a better start than any of his three Rotherham promotion teams. The respective records after 10 games are:                                     

Rotherham 2017-18:   P10  W5  D0  L5  GD +7  Pts 15

Rotherham 2019 -20:  P10  W4  D3  L3  GD +4  Pts 15

Rotherham 2021-18:   P10  W5  D2  L3   GD +5  Pts 17

Derby Co.  2023-24:   P10  W5  D2  L3   GD +7  Pts 17

Then compare where we are now with the promotion sides I have seen at Derby. The points tally after 10 games (with 3 points for a win) was:

Clough & Taylor 1968-69  16 pts

Cox 1985-86                      16 pts

Cox 1986-87                      15 pts

Smith 1995-96                  10 pts

Davies 2006-07                12 pts

So, not only is Warne at the moment ahead of his own previous promotion seasons at this stage but also ahead of the last five Derby County teams to be promoted.

To achieve it, he has to turn around the current home form but that must be possible with a side that is doing so well away from home. We’ll see.

I’m just waiting now for the volley of shots that will say but it’s not good to watch and he won’t keep us up. Let him get us up first and then we’ll have that debate. It just might be that he’ll have a much better budget if he gets us promoted than he ever had at Rotherham.

I’ve realised a lot by looking at this and I’m sticking by him completely for now until things go completely awry, if they ever do. But I think his biggest critics should be thinking about taking a break for a while. A lot of us won’t miss the noise.

COYR

Edited by Brailsford Ram
Alteration

The criticism has died down for various reasons.

We are playing better football in the last 2 games, so some of people's concerns are being assuaged.

We've won 2 of the last 3, as BC says, 3 points shuts people up.

Also, many who weren't happy are tired of the kick back, especially post Carlisle when we didn't play well but won and those commenting got the result thrown at them.

From my point of view, I'd like some more control in games, but Nyambe and the return of Bird and Barks have improved matters. It wasn't personal for most critics, it was based on what we saw.

As Maynard Keynes wrote, when the facts change, I change my mind. 

The criticism was all to do with the horrible football Warne had them playing, the constant giving the ball to the opposition to play with. The last two games have had far more control, and as a result more enjoyable to watch.

I don't expect us to be attacking or keeping the ball for an entire match, and I do enjoy a good defensive display as well, but some of the football we were dishing up was an affront to football. 

26 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

tumblr_ll83rkr3cu1qc1o7l.gif

29 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

After 12 months of Paul Warne's tenure, this forum is completely divided still as to his future as our head coach. While it’s noticeable that the threads about his position have slipped down the ranking on the forum this week, I am very aware that they may climb back up by the end of the month, depending on the results of the next few games.

Don't bank on it mate.  More like another couple of dozen new threads!  🙄

4 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Told you Paul Warne is a football genius 

I've told you a million times before David not to exaggerate 😂🐏

1974/75 season we ended up as Champions of England. Using 3 points for a win, we had 14 points after 10 games. Perspective people, perspective. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

We've had players not settling in like Bradley. We've had a shedload of injuries. We've had some atrocious refereeing decisions which almost certainly cost us points such as Wigan's 2nd which should have been disallowed and the 2 penalties we didn't get at Bolton plus the one they wrongly got... 

Some players now back, others will be available after the international break. With the exception of Jake Rooney, we should have a full squad to choose from. Having said that, the way we played at Blackpool, those still out injured will struggle to make the bench unless we get some fresh injuries. Possible exception being JJ who would give us speed late on in games against tiring defenders...

It's not been all sweetness and light this season so far but folk should look beyond the scorelines at reasons/causes and there have been enough to keep us hopefully buoyant awaiting the return of the crocks.

Even Citeh managed to lose at Wolves despite 68% possession, despite 23 shots of which 8 were on target to Wolves 3 and 1 (one of their 2 goals was an OG). These things happen. 

Just now, MadAmster said:

1974/75 season we ended up as Champions of England. Using 3 points for a win, we had 14 points after 10 games. Perspective people, perspective. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

We've had players not settling in like Bradley. We've had a shedload of injuries. We've had some atrocious refereeing decisions which almost certainly cost us points such as Wigan's 2nd which should have been disallowed and the 2 penalties we didn't get at Bolton plus the one they wrongly got... 

Some players now back, others will be available after the international break. With the exception of Jake Rooney, we should have a full squad to choose from. Having said that, the way we played at Blackpool, those still out injured will struggle to make the bench unless we get some fresh injuries. Possible exception being JJ who would give us speed late on in games against tiring defenders...

It's not been all sweetness and light this season so far but folk should look beyond the scorelines at reasons/causes and there have been enough to keep us hopefully buoyant awaiting the return of the crocks.

Even Citeh managed to lose at Wolves despite 68% possession, despite 23 shots of which 8 were on target to Wolves 3 and 1 (one of their 2 goals was an OG). These things happen. 

They absolutely have. 90% of the criticism has been about performance and style of play. 

43 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

There should be no need to remind anyone about the club’s perilous position just 16 months ago, the 11th hour rescue which left us a month before last season started with just five contracted professional players and how ultimately we just missed out on a play-off place. The owner told us he wanted the club to become financially sustainable with the head coach being given time to take his squad forward at the same time the academy was being rebuilt. He also said this could take time and when he chose Paul Warne he said that immediate promotion was not a condition of his appointment. We all know that but many still pay lip service to it and would like to press the panic button now and change the head coach.

I said at the time the club was fighting for it’s very existence that I had never seen the fans so united since the years of Clough & Taylor, Mackay & Anderson. In all of our successful periods over the years, the fans support was fundamental to driving our players on. The current players get that too as you often see when they wave their arms to encourage us to up the volume when Pride Park falls quiet. Our support is vital.

What does Paul Warne make of what he is hearing now? I don’t know because he seems to not want to encourage the negativity by discussing it for fear that it might only make things worse. But he must be acutely aware of the mood because no-one can spend so much time here as he does without being aware.

Some on here temper their criticism by ending with the rider but ‘he is a nice bloke.’ Maybe he is thinking it would be humble of some of those fans to return in kind some of his niceness and just stop carping about how we are doing on the pitch and stop demanding that he be put out of work at such an early stage of his contracted employment. Why would he think this?:

Simply because for starters, as we all know, he has achieved three previous promotions from this division and that is why he was brought here in the first place. Secondly, and this may come as a surprise to some, after 10 games this season his team has made a better start than any of his three Rotherham promotion teams. The respective records after 10 games are:                                     

Then compare where we are now with the promotion sides I have seen at Derby. The points tally after 10 games (with 3 points for a win) was:

Clough & Taylor 1968-69  16 pts

Cox 1985-86                      16 pts

Cox 1986-87                      15 pts

Smith 1995-96                  10 pts

Davies 2006-07                12 pts

So, not only is Warne at the moment ahead of his own previous promotion seasons at this stage but also ahead of the last five Derby County teams to be promoted.

To achieve it, he has to turn around the current home form but that must be possible with a side that is doing so well away from home. We’ll see.

I’m just waiting now for the volley of shots that will say but it’s not good to watch and he won’t keep us up. Let him get us up first and then we’ll have that debate. It just might be that he’ll have a much better budget if he gets us promoted than he ever had at Rotherham.

I’ve realised a lot by looking at this and I’m sticking by him completely for now until things go completely awry, if they ever do. But I think his biggest critics should be thinking about taking a break for a while. A lot of us won’t miss the noise.

COYR

Tedious and patronising.  Cheers.

Either Paul Warne gets us promoted or he has failed in his objective.

We are currently 7th. It’s not going well so far.

Recent results have improved and there is plenty of time to go.

I’m almost certain we will finish top six. This league is terrible, more so this season.

But Warne will really earn his pay in May, especially if it’s the playoffs.

He's done well this week. Still plenty of room for improvement, especially at home. Hopefully the team grow in confidence and stature based on recent results. I'd still like to see us play on the front foot and start to dominate games.

Blackpool was a great result and I'm made up. But before Waggy scored, we were very much on the ropes and were very lucky not to concede when they hit the bar. I'm not getting too carried away just yet, and I do still stick to my opinion that another manager could get more out of this team. But if Warne gets enough out of them to take us up then that's enough for me.

We look a different side in the last 2 games. Defence is calming down and looks a lot more settled.

Having Smith in midfield rather than defence.

Nyambe and Fornah will be key this season if they can stay fit.

We just need somebody who can unlock a defence in January. Teams are coming to PP for a point or to snatch a win, so we need to be able to break that down and then we should be fine. 

51 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Not sure PW told them to give the ball to the opposition!😉

The instructions to get the ball to the front as quickly as possible, and the ‘don’t be afraid to lose the ball’ inevitably mean losing possession more than retaining it. 
Fortunately, our manager appears to have seen the error of his ways, and hopefully starting to act like a proper football manager with his players looking after the ball. 

1 minute ago, bcnram said:

The instructions to get the ball to the front as quickly as possible, and the ‘don’t be afraid to lose the ball’ inevitably mean losing possession more than retaining it. 
Fortunately, our manager appears to have seen the error of his ways, and hopefully starting to act like a proper football manager with his players looking after the ball. 

I hope so. As much as I love a bit of gung-ho, I've lost count of how many times we try and force an attack when it's not really on, and lose possession. I like the freedom we have to take risks, but constantly losing possession with little end result makes for frustrating watching.