You might not realise it but Paul Warne's doing pretty well

On 05/10/2023 at 14:40, Guest said:

After 12 months of Paul Warne's tenure, this forum is completely divided still as to his future as our head coach. While it’s noticeable that the threads about his position have slipped down the ranking on the forum this week, I am very aware that they may climb back up by the end of the month, depending on the results of the next few games.

There should be no need to remind anyone about the club’s perilous position just 16 months ago, the 11th hour rescue which left us a month before last season started with just five contracted professional players and how ultimately we just missed out on a play-off place. The owner told us he wanted the club to become financially sustainable with the head coach being given time to take his squad forward at the same time the academy was being rebuilt. He also said this could take time and when he chose Paul Warne he said that immediate promotion was not a condition of his appointment. We all know that but many still pay lip service to it and would like to press the panic button now and change the head coach.

I said at the time the club was fighting for it’s very existence that I had never seen the fans so united since the years of Clough & Taylor, Mackay & Anderson. In all of our successful periods over the years, the fans support was fundamental to driving our players on. The current players get that too as you often see when they wave their arms to encourage us to up the volume when Pride Park falls quiet. Our support is vital.

What does Paul Warne make of what he is hearing now? I don’t know because he seems to not want to encourage the negativity by discussing it for fear that it might only make things worse. But he must be acutely aware of the mood because no-one can spend so much time here as he does without being aware.

Some on here temper their criticism by ending with the rider but ‘he is a nice bloke.’ Maybe he is thinking it would be humble of some of those fans to return in kind some of his niceness and just stop carping about how we are doing on the pitch and stop demanding that he be put out of work at such an early stage of his contracted employment. Why would he think this?:

Simply because for starters, as we all know, he has achieved three previous promotions from this division and that is why he was brought here in the first place. Secondly, and this may come as a surprise to some, after 10 games this season his team has made a better start than any of his three Rotherham promotion teams. The respective records after 10 games are:                                     

Rotherham 2017-18:   P10  W5  D0  L5  GD +7  Pts 15

Rotherham 2019 -20:  P10  W4  D3  L3  GD +4  Pts 15

Rotherham 2021-18:   P10  W5  D2  L3   GD +5  Pts 17

Derby Co.  2023-24:   P10  W5  D2  L3   GD +7  Pts 17

Then compare where we are now with the promotion sides I have seen at Derby. The points tally after 10 games (with 3 points for a win) was:

Clough & Taylor 1968-69  16 pts

Cox 1985-86                      16 pts

Cox 1986-87                      15 pts

Smith 1995-96                  10 pts

Davies 2006-07                12 pts

So, not only is Warne at the moment ahead of his own previous promotion seasons at this stage but also ahead of the last five Derby County teams to be promoted.

To achieve it, he has to turn around the current home form but that must be possible with a side that is doing so well away from home. We’ll see.

I’m just waiting now for the volley of shots that will say but it’s not good to watch and he won’t keep us up. Let him get us up first and then we’ll have that debate. It just might be that he’ll have a much better budget if he gets us promoted than he ever had at Rotherham.

I’ve realised a lot by looking at this and I’m sticking by him completely for now until things go completely awry, if they ever do. But I think his biggest critics should be thinking about taking a break for a while. A lot of us won’t miss the noise.

COYR

So many folk on here would have sacked Clough & Taylor early doors or still moaned when we lifted the equivalent of today’s Premier League title “but our football is so dire to watch” and they wouldn’t have enjoyed any trips in Europe or made any effort to go, stating something along the lines of “well that foreign food is rubbish, a bit like our football, so if your think I’m leaving my Shackleton’s arm chair to watch that rubbish, your absolutely deluded!“..

Up Paul Warne.

Up The Rams 🐏 

9 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

So many folk on here would have sacked Clough & Taylor early doors or still moaned when we lifted the equivalent of today’s Premier League title “but our football is so dire to watch” and they wouldn’t have enjoyed any trips in Europe or made any effort to go, stating something along the lines of “well that foreign food is rubbish, a bit like our football, so if your think I’m leaving my Shackleton’s arm chair to watch that rubbish, your absolutely deluded!“..

Up Paul Warne.

Up The Rams 🐏 

Sorry to be blunt, but I think that's nonsense.

Absolutely nobody would complain if we played 'dire' football but won the Premier League and were playing in Europe. 

The style of play debate only really heats up when results are perceived to be poor. A vast majority of fans are willing to accept a certain style of play when results follow, look at the Billy Davies promotion season. However, as soon as an unappealing style of play fails to get the desired results then people turn quicker than milk in a microwave. 

26 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Sorry to be blunt, but I think that's nonsense.

Absolutely nobody would complain if we played 'dire' football but won the Premier League and were playing in Europe. 

The style of play debate only really heats up when results are perceived to be poor. A vast majority of fans are willing to accept a certain style of play when results follow, look at the Billy Davies promotion season. However, as soon as an unappealing style of play fails to get the desired results then people turn quicker than milk in a microwave. 

Wholeheartedly agree.

I don't care if we have 1 shot a match if we win every match 1-0. However, managers should be aware by now that if they do play this pragmatic style then as you rightly say bad results won't be tolerated ie Rowett (who i really liked to be fair). 

On 10/10/2023 at 08:06, sawley_ram said:

Nothing technical, it's a cracking little Leicestershire village. I'm often there in the Potters, which is where a lot of the Derby fans seem to drink. Plenty of Leicester fans and a fair amount of forrest shirts, too.

Anyway, postcodes and area codes mean nothing! Grantham is well into Lincs. but tis NG31. I'm in Sawley which has a big "Welcome to Derbyshire" sign but an NG postcode. Risley (just up the road from here) has a DE post code but an 0115 area code 😆

If you ask the locals, they'll say they're Derby 🙂