You might not realise it but Paul Warne's doing pretty well

53 minutes ago, sawley_ram said:

I read on the DT that we have scored more away goals than any other team in the top four divisions. As it's from the DT I'm a bit dubious -- anywhere we can look at stats like this?

soccerSTATS.com has the home and away tables for the PL and EFL.

Currently, away from home, Derby and Leicester lead on 13 followed by Norwich on 12 and several clubs on 11.

As you would expect, we are way down the ladder at home with just four.

1 hour ago, sawley_ram said:

I read on the DT that we have scored more away goals than any other team in the top four divisions. As it's from the DT I'm a bit dubious -- anywhere we can look at stats like this?

The DERBY telegraph cannot even get the areas of Derby right, so youre right to be dubious 🤨 😂😂

Blagreaves Lane in Pear Tree !!!!

They must have moved it since I was was last in Derby 

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

42 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

It does sounds like you're saying that as we have a larger fanbase than Oxford then we have some kind of hierarchy that we should get promoted in preference to them and if we don't then this will be Warnes fault that expectation hasn't been fulfilled.

I could be misreading it though. 

One would assume bigger budget. But I guess until the balance sheets are shown that’s speculation. 

I reckon most fans would hold this entitled view though. As I say rightly or wrongly.

We are doing ok away from home. I thought Tuesday night was the best ive seen us since February!! The movement off the ball and the passing was very good. Defensively pretty solid. At home its been nothing short of very basic and boring. Its not just a few games either. I reckon we havent played well at home since Morecambe!! We have to become a better side at home. The goals against Lincoln were 1st class. Thats what we need...movement,clever play,third man running..teams cant cope with that at this level. Our squad is capable of top 2. Look at the bench the other night. Unreal bench for League 1. And thats with Ward,Elder,Thompson and Jules still out!! Warne has to show more at home. The players are there. No excuses.  

16 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Whilst we have a manager who prefers not to have the ball than have it, I’m going to struggle to support him.

It’s amazing really - when the team plays football we score goals - all three at Blackpool were super, so why doesn’t he encourage that style of play more often?

How do you know he isn't?

Lack of a consistent starting XI, thanks to injuries, means this team haven't had chance to build form yet- I reckon that's why we've looked disjointed at times; but also why the play is improving as they start to gel. If, by your own words, we're scoring from passing moves, why would the manager not encourage a style that makes us successful?

Execution is not down to the manager...

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Lack of a consistent starting XI, thanks to injuries, means this team haven't had chance to build form yet- I reckon that's why we've looked disjointed at times; but also why the play is improving as they start to gel. If, by your own words, we're scoring from passing moves, why would the manager not encourage a style that makes us successful?

Because he is on record in the last few weeks as being frustrated with us trying to pass the ball into the area from central areas and wanting crosses instead.

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

It does sounds like you're saying that as we have a larger fanbase than Oxford then we have some kind of hierarchy that we should get promoted in preference to them and if we don't then this will be Warnes fault that expectation hasn't been fulfilled.

I could be misreading it though. 

I didn’t read it that way, although it could have been intended that way.

First part = no other big team (relates to other teams’ fanbase/history/stature etc?)

Second part = being outdone by Oxford

First part included “rightly or wrongly” indicating perhaps Warne shouldn’t be judged on the basis of that context (ie that there’s no other big team)

Second part said questions should be asked (indicating @TomTom92’s opinion) if Oxford outdo us (newer manager, lower wages? Less pulling power for good players?)

In other words, regardless of whether smaller clubs outdo us, a team shouldn’t come from nowhere with a new manager and a set of new players and outdo us without asking how on earth that was possible (from our side).

I don’t hate Paul Warne, I don’t dislike Paul Warne, I just don’t rate Paul Warne and can’t stand listening to him. This isn’t a new thing for me, it’s how I have felt for about 5 years now.

I am now trying my very hardest to appreciate him, and results like that on Tuesday and away to Peterborough help me with that. If he gets us up this season I will acknowledge and enjoy the achievement, but I have said it a few times before that I think any broadly competent coach ought to be able to get this squad up this season. We have a strong squad in a very weak league.

However, I still don’t think whatever happens that his football is ever going to be particularly pretty or organised and for that reason I do hope if he does get us promoted we still consider replacing him with someone with a record of achievement in the Championship. If he fails for a second season he should be sacked regardless.

Up the Rams!

1 hour ago, jameso said:

I didn’t read it that way, although it could have been intended that way.

First part = no other big team (relates to other teams’ fanbase/history/stature etc?)

Second part = being outdone by Oxford

First part included “rightly or wrongly” indicating perhaps Warne shouldn’t be judged on the basis of that context (ie that there’s no other big team)

Second part said questions should be asked (indicating @TomTom92’s opinion) if Oxford outdo us (newer manager, lower wages? Less pulling power for good players?)

In other words, regardless of whether smaller clubs outdo us, a team shouldn’t come from nowhere with a new manager and a set of new players and outdo us without asking how on earth that was possible (from our side).

Nothing further to add your honour.

5 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

7 years of evidence mate.

On 05/10/2023 at 14:56, sage said:

The criticism has died down for various reasons.

We are playing better football in the last 2 games, so some of people's concerns are being assuaged.

We've won 2 of the last 3, as BC says, 3 points shuts people up.

Also, many who weren't happy are tired of the kick back, especially post Carlisle when we didn't play well but won and those commenting got the result thrown at them.

From my point of view, I'd like some more control in games, but Nyambe and the return of Bird and Barks have improved matters. It wasn't personal for most critics, it was based on what we saw.

As Maynard Keynes wrote, when the facts change, I change my mind. 

Also, Warne may have seen the light or even the comments on this forum about his 3 centrebacks with wingbacks that produced dire football and bad results. We look so much better with 4 at the back, which we played in most games last season during that 15 match unbeaten run. And did he get lucky picking up Waggy through Fozzy wanting him at his testimonial match, then Rooney getting injured and others in that position also crocked he gambled on bringing in Nyambe.

Perhaps he got lucky at Rotherham getting those 3 promotions and being at a smaller club was restricted in improving the squad, hence getting relegated twice. With 7 years in management under his belt, now is his time to prove that he can be successful. Get Derby Promotion and keep us in the Championship and maybe beyond.

But please Mr Warne no more 3 at the back with wingbacks, with the players we have lets stick with 4-4-2 or 4-3-3.

7 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Also, Warne may have seen the light or even the comments on this forum about his 3 centrebacks with wingbacks that produced dire football and bad results. We look so much better with 4 at the back, which we played in most games last season during that 15 match unbeaten run. And did he get lucky picking up Waggy through Fozzy wanting him at his testimonial match, then Rooney getting injured and others in that position also crocked he gambled on bringing in Nyambe.

Perhaps he got lucky at Rotherham getting those 3 promotions and being at a smaller club was restricted in improving the squad, hence getting relegated twice. With 7 years in management under his belt, now is his time to prove that he can be successful. Get Derby Promotion and keep us in the Championship and maybe beyond.

But please Mr Warne no more 3 at the back with wingbacks, with the players we have lets stick with 4-4-2 or 4-3-3.

Yes Warne is definitely changing formations based on comments on this forum. (Sarcasm in case unclear).

The mind boggles.

Edited by Blondest Goat

19 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I don't think it's any surprise that out of the 16 positive reactions to the immediate reply to the OPs original post there was only one of these posters whom also contributed to the 39 positive reactions received for the thread starter.

An Einstein , who can count as well. This forum is so lucky.

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

Yes Warne is definitely changing formations based on comments on this forum. (Sarcasm in case unclear).

The mind boggles.

Happy to see it’s not just me who thought that hilarious, warne a manager with 3 promotion s from league one having his derby career saved by the managerial know how of some fans forum posters 😂

On 06/10/2023 at 15:46, Elwood P Dowd said:

The DERBY telegraph cannot even get the areas of Derby right, so youre right to be dubious 🤨 😂😂

Blagreaves Lane in Pear Tree !!!!

They must have moved it since I was was last in Derby 

That's nothing, they once said Castle Donington was one of the most desirable places to live in Derbyshire, despite it being in Leicestershire....

22 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

But has a Derby postcode and 01332 area code. It's a Derby town in reality but agreed, technically Leicestershire.

Nothing technical, it's a cracking little Leicestershire village. I'm often there in the Potters, which is where a lot of the Derby fans seem to drink. Plenty of Leicester fans and a fair amount of forrest shirts, too.

Anyway, postcodes and area codes mean nothing! Grantham is well into Lincs. but tis NG31. I'm in Sawley which has a big "Welcome to Derbyshire" sign but an NG postcode. Risley (just up the road from here) has a DE post code but an 0115 area code 😆

It's all well and good comparing our points totals this season to previous seasons in both Derby and Warne's history. The problem is that come the end of the season the points total will be compared to the other teams in the division and we are already 9/10 points off the pace.