Derby v Cheltenham (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I don’t think you can fault the manager. We have created enough chances to win all three games with a bit more composure.

Clearly we are still a work in progress and clearly when we are on it, we are still very capable of finishing in the play-offs.

The manager buys the players, The manager picks the team, The manager sets the tactics, If a player is struggling to hit a target when he has only the keeper to beat that's the players fault, PW can not be absolved from any responsibility...he's the manager.

This work in progress...when is it completed? or when does it start?

Dropping 2 points against the bottom team who hadn't managed a goal all season shows "the work in progress" has one hell of a journey to go.

30 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Because we have with the exception of Blackpool and half an hour against Peterborough been absolutely dreadful all season.

And I'll say it now, we were awful first half against Blackpool.

Warne likes small squads because he can't deal with choices, when all our players are fit who plays and who doesn't? Who plays where and with whom, he doesn't know. Hard decisions make for unpleasant consequences if you get them wrong.

Why when we need to score does he bring Washy on instead of Sibs?

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The result is obviously a lot worse than the performance, for me this game was painfully similar to the Cambridge one.

I don’t think Warne got a lot wrong with his set up and team selection, albeit I would’ve liked to see Sibley for that little bit of guile and craft in the final third. It’s squarely at the feet of the players who made a ton of bad decisions in key moments and lacked quality when they needed it most.

You can definitely see why Cheltenham are where they are, but that’ll be something their fans have had something to cheer today. 

Took a while till I found an opinion I agree with and this is it. The performance in general wasn't even that bad, seen a lot worse and worthy of the Warne criticism. 

About time the players were held responsible for their actions on the pitch when they cross the white line.

Collins chances were not on the same plate as Wilson's, as our striker though, the main guy, he has to be doing a lot better in those positions.  

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I mean I am right, but that’s by the by.

Im just saying it ain’t melodramatic. You can disagree, but it isn’t melodramatic. I’d say your viewpoint is very much the minority one (you’re probably one of only 3 staunch Paul Warne supporters on this forum), so maybe you might want to question if it’s actually your viewpoint that’s the extreme one? 

I just think we have to expect more than this. David Clowes has to expect more, given what resources he’s given Warne.

Who are the other 2?

And if you say me you're sadly mistaken - I just try not to post totally overactive kneejerk OTT stuff after we've not won a game. 

But I guess this makes me a Warne supporter by others standards. 

4 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Welcome to football. Football is the best escape that many of us have from the dirge of real life. Of course none of it matters. That's why it's beautiful.

It doesn't seem much of an escape if the escapee is corporal Jonesing it all over the place or saying that the manager and club should 'hang their heads in shame'.

12 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Not a fan of Collins but what’s the alternative? He’s miles better than Washington! Need John jules fit asap

Agreed we're short on quality options but personally I'd prefer Waggy up there and Sibley behind him. Looking forward to seeing what JJ offers too.

Not upgrading on Collins is gonna cost us imho. 

27 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

We haven't got clinical strikers, yet so far this season they have performed as such and we've ended up with more points / goals than the performances have deserved.

We were always going to get games like this where those strikers are wasteful, so it's imperative that we don't concede stupid goals. 1 goal wins it.

We're playing a team who hadn't scored in 11 games so a perfect opportunity for that sort of result to happen. They're hopeless at scoring goals, so it shouldn't be too hard..  

.. so of course we have a day of profligacy and also concede a stupid goal.

We didn't actually play very well either, that's how bad they are. And still Warne can't pick a formation to beat them. 😄

8 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Bloody hell haven't listened to a Warne analysis for a number of weeks.

We didn't want the ball in the middle because they had an overload in there. Didn't want to try to put through balls to the strikers because they had 3CBs. We just needed to get into the wings more and get more crosses in more quickly.

Now getting defensive over Dom asking him why Sibley didn't come in when we needed goals and he's called him the best finisher at the club...  Well we had other unused subs. Bradley didn't come on. Vickers didn't come on

Straight back to not listening to his interviews me!

In fairness I think we can all understand the logic in not wanting to play in contested areas  and for the most part it was the right decision because we were able to get into good positions and stack the box but the players lacked quality required on this occasion to make it count. 

1 minute ago, David said:

Took a while till I found an opinion I agree with and this is it. The performance in general wasn't even that bad, seen a lot worse and worthy of the Warne criticism. 

About time the players were held responsible for their actions on the pitch when they cross the white line.

Collins chances were not on the same plate as Wilson's, as our striker though, the main guy, he has to be doing a lot better in those positions.  

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but did you hear Warne on radio Derby? Literally said he didn't want the ball in midfield. Happily admitted to setting us up to NOT play football. He was worried about their overload in midfield. So decided to kick it over the head of midfield all first half.

He's responsible for that. Absolutely rubbish when that's how he sets up against a team bottom of the league. As if our midfield wouldn't be able to play football against them today. I can't fault the players if that's how they're told to play. They've come out with credit from me for not losing the game, despite being set up to play that anti football.

I find it really frustrating. It's not like we don't have the players to play. Man for man, not many other players in this league would get into our team. I just can't understand it.

Sure I just heard our head 'coach' say our plan was to not use the midfield at all.  Dynamic thinking against a side of giants who can't move but can head all day.  My plan was too not use the central areas at all and get it out wide every time.  

Then a surly load of nonsense when questioned about Sibley.  

3 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Agreed we're short on quality options but personally I'd prefer Waggy up there and Sibley behind him. Looking forward to seeing what JJ offers too.

Not upgrading on Collins is gonna cost us imho. 

In this league we should be playing two centre forwards as a minimum every week and currently Waghorn and Collins are it and not one playing behind the other either

That was an undoubtedly poor result.

We were the better team and played ok in patches………..but it’s a very low bar!

I can’t understand the reluctance to sub Collins.

Should have moved Waghorn upfront with Sibley, Bird or even Hourihane coming on as sub at HT for Collins, would have given us a much better chance/cutting edge.

If you can see it’s not working, you change it. We didn’t and we got exactly what we deserved.

Very frustrating and the RD interview doesn’t sound good. I’ll reserve judgement till I’ve actually heard it mind.

Just now, oodledoodle said:

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but did you hear Warne on radio Derby? Literally said he didn't want the ball in midfield. Happily admitted to setting us up to NOT play football. He was worried about their overload in midfield. So decided to kick it over the head of midfield all first half.

He's responsible for that. Absolutely rubbish when that's how he sets up against a team bottom of the league. As if our midfield wouldn't be able to play football against them today. I can't fault the players if that's how they're told to play. They've come out with credit from me for not losing the game, despite being set up to play that anti football.

I find it really frustrating. It's not like we don't have the players to play. Man for man, not many other players in this league would get into our team. I just can't understand it.

I haven't no, just watched the game on RamsTV and didn't think it was that bad. On another day with Collins more on it, we come away with another 3-1 win and nobody will really be complaining.

25 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I know it’s no surprise I just don’t think Warne will get us up. I want him to. I want him to be successful because if he’s successful it means we are but I just cannot see it. Coming up to 13 months in charge which isn’t a small amount of time these days. 

You can point to the Collins missed chance and he should be scoring but for 50 minutes in the first half we were garbage and came out the traps so slowly. 

He should have taken Collins off and put Waggy up front. He should have put Sibs as no10. No=one mentions Wilson but he really cheers me up, I've never seen a player as able to tackle himself as often as he does, at least once a game. 😄

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

In fairness I think we can all understand the logic in not wanting to play in contested areas  and for the most part it was the right decision because we were able to get into good positions and stack the box but the players lacked quality required on this occasion to make it count. 

If you're overrun in midfield then put another body in there. Tell waggy to drop back. Tell cashin to step up. Play sibs as a 10 and put him in the middle to win balls and break up play. How he came out with the idea to just give up on midfield is madness.

The quality of our players should be much, much more than enough to handle something as basic as there being an extra man in midfield. It's baffling for me.