Derby v Portsmouth Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

13 minutes ago, angieram said:
19 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

Does anyone know why Fornah was substituted?

"Other reasons" according to Warne, which I took to mean a red card waiting to happen.

It was quite obvious Angie. He had been booked because he kicked the ball away after giving away a free kick for a foul. Then just before half-time he gave another free kick away for a mistimed tackle from behind at which the referee talked to him at length, presumably to say that if there was any repetition he would receive a second yellow card. Warne then made the only decision he got right all afternoon and substituted him to prevent us going down to 10 men again.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

We were West Stand and I thought the Portsmouth fans were very loud all game.

I thought there were a small cohort of South Stand fans trying to respond but really two thirds of that Stand is as quiet as the rest of the ground. It's not the wall of sound it used to be.

We really miss that East Stand noise next to the away fans, too. Helped a lot when there was a big away crowd.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Boring game between two very average teams. A draw about right.

I’m starting to wonder whether this is the worst derby team since the 11-pointers, which on later it shouldn’t be as we have in our ranks some decent footballers.

However we need to see what Warne can do with a fully fit, or nearly fully fit squad. Hope more than expectation says he will change up to a better, more organised style of play where we can actually see what they players are trying to do. But continue to play this frankly bizarre, shapeless and often amateurish way and even the top 6 will be a challenge.

Atmosphere in the SS is as bad as I’ve known it. Good start bouncing off the Portsmouth fans but just went flat. 10 mins to go in the first half and plenty of people were disappearing downstairs and even sitting down. It just saps the enthusiasm out of you,

These are a lot worse, the eleven point side were actually turning up against decent teams 

3 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

It was quite obvious Angie. He had been booked because he kicked the ball away after giving away a free kick for a foul. Then just before half-time he gave another free kick away for a mistimed tackle from behind at which the referee talked to him at length, presumably to say that if there was any repetition he would receive a second yellow card. Warne then made the only decision he got right all afternoon and substituted him to prevent us going down to 10 men again.

Thank you for saying what I just said in a lot more words.

Patronising not.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Actually, if  it was his RD interview, he was going to play TJJ and us him in a 4-2-3-1. But plans changed when TJJ had a "slight injury". It would seem we signed him complete with a box of assorted injuries - Warne actually admitted that he knew the player was injury prone, but was hoping that the lad could give us the pace that we need. HE also said that we weren't at our best, and were lacking in our choice of final pass to put someone through. And yes, early on Hourihane did play 2 or 3  "Gorgeous  George" type through balls which were thwarted by some dubious offside calls, but after about 20 minutes Connor had regressed to "lump it in the air, hopefully a bit forwards, and see who gets it next".

Shame we didn't get Harris from Cardiff as he looks a decent player for League 1 with 5 prior to his ban and has good movement and is quick.  Changing his mind to go to Oxford last minute when he was coming to sign was a concern.  

22 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

Does anyone know why Fornah was substituted?

I would like to think because he had no impact on the game because he wasn’t marking anyone or tackling anyone or winning any headers and obviously not passing to ball forwards but I could let him off as it’s his first home game, but then again he got the most stupid booking and should have been booked for a very poor looking challenge which the referee was very kind to him not sending him off, so that’s probably Warne’s reason for subbing him off. 
If it helps I saw nothing to think he will improve us at all unless it’s all about running stats.

Just arrived home after quite a few pub stops but another home game where we looked like the away team, seriously can’t see what direction Warne is heading us?  The players available to us r a lot better than what we’re watching at the minute, I’m normally glass half full but now I’m starting to get worried 😟 

Missed it all, just moved house, too many boxes to un pack. But sounds like no one is happy. Still, a point against a top, inform side can’t be as bad as some of the reports I am reading on here mixed with a makeshift side from a squad riven with injuries to key players. .. Think we need some perspective don’t we ?

44 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Doesn’t have to be Lyle Taylor , there are other free-agents available . Just somebody with a touch of class like McGoldrick. Also a midfield enforcer / leader like Eustace. 

so your happy for one player to just carry the entire side? We have no structure, tactics, plan, style, identity. What happens when that one player can't play? 

We need a style of play, not another new player.

3 hours ago, Topram said:

After defending pretty easily all game to concede 96th min absolutely kills, neither side deserved to win but when get the lead so late you expect to hang on, I’m Warne in and needs time but can’t just keep saying we weren’t at our best…

Out of interest, how good do you think "our best" is?

Can we yet know with this group of players, only because we haven't yet looked really good in any games?

36 minutes ago, angieram said:

We were West Stand and I thought the Portsmouth fans were very loud all game.

I thought there were a small cohort of South Stand fans trying to respond but really two thirds of that Stand is as quiet as the rest of the ground. It's not the wall of sound it used to be.

We really miss that East Stand noise next to the away fans, too. Helped a lot when there was a big away crowd.

Actually the South Staanders were pretty loud at the start of the match, probably the best we have been for some time, but for some reason or other it seemed as though the life was being sucked out of us. I can't think why. 🙄

Edited by DavesaRam

For all of those who didn’t have the patience for Roseniors football in its learning stage let me say this 

the football if you can call it that which is being dished up at the mo is absolute utter garbage 

even if Pep were to take over he’d start by getting us to keep the ball and learn how and when to go forward….cue the moaners who’d be saying it was dull !!

but now for any manager who wants to come in and try to get us to play keep ball and open up teams you’ll be watching Rosenior football again until it’s mastered and the players are the right players …so…long road ahead !! 

We should have been 2-0 up before they even entered our half.

After that i thought it was a fairly even battle between two average teams. We looked like a team that has just been put together, with our first choice players out injured.

Pompey are the only unbeaten team in League One and they managed to snatch a 95th minute draw against us.

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

We should have been 2-0 up before they even entered our half.

After that i thought it was a fairly even battle between two average teams. We looked like a team that has just been put together, with our first choice players out injured.

Pompey are the only unbeaten team in League One and they managed to snatch a 95th minute draw against us.

From what I’ve seen so far in L1 a half decent side would walk this division …Portsmouth aren’t great and so far no one has looked that great …including us!! This was Warnes big chance to shine this season and so far it’s been very poor 

3 hours ago, Topram said:

After defending pretty easily all game to concede 96th min absolutely kills, neither side deserved to win but when get the lead so late you expect to hang on, I’m Warne in and needs time but can’t just keep saying we weren’t at our best…

problem is, the more time we give him, the worse we're getting

8 minutes ago, S8TY said:

From what I’ve seen so far in L1 a half decent side would walk this division …Portsmouth aren’t great and so far no one has looked that great …including us!! This was Warnes big chance to shine this season and so far it’s been very poor 

Its been 7 games, lets see how the season pans out.