The Paul Warne Poll

Day

The Paul Warne Poll  

612 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I would be amazed if even half the people who go “well actually Rosenior was interim so it can’t have been a surprise” actually thought at the time he wasn’t going to be appointed full time.

It felt inevitable, and him being replaced was a huge shock.

Yes I thought he would actually be appointed full time. I had my concerns but I wasn't completely against it and had it happened I would have got right behind him. It wasn't necessarily a huge shock because some of the performances and results particularly away from home were poor. I think clowes always planned to get his own man in and after watching us at the start of the season probably just reinforced that belief we needed a change of direction from previous regimes. I don't blame him at all for making the decision he did.

1 hour ago, sage said:

Mu suspicion is he will be given the season and if we don't come top 6 he will be gone.

PW said in an earlier interview...He failed last season, And if we don't go up this season he'll have failed...Think he then said he'd be gone...but not quite sure🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

For all the talking about giving players time to gel this season, I thought Rosenior's team looked absolutely like a team that hadn't quite gelled yet.  You could see what we were trying to do but players weren't quite on the same wavelength yet, and we were behind on fitness too after the shortened preseason.  To me anyway, if we had started moving the ball slightly faster, cut out a few of the needless backwards passes, been a bit more clinical in the final third etc, we would have turned into a more than decent team. We're talking like 5% improvements or something here, not massive changes.  You don't need to cut out many backwards passes to completely shift where you are playing.  There were plenty of times where we passed 5 or 6 times at the back, worked an opening into midfield and then instead of keeping it there went backwards.  You cut a few of those passes out and all of a sudden you don't have to keep starting again with the 5 or 6 passes at the back so often, and you're passing around the edge of their box a lot more.  We go from a Cocu-type team, to a McClaren-type team.  And I think a lot of that would have happened anyway as we got fitter, got used to playing together etc.

Not wanting to put words into peoples mouths, but I do wonder how many of the "Rosenior's football is boring" people actually wanted that too (RoseniorBall, but a bit faster, and a bit further up the pitch), rather than the endless diagonals out wide, and aimless chipped balls over the top to nobody, that we seem to get with WarneBall.

What I want is quite simple , I want to be off my seat as often a possible celebrating a goal , off my seat as often as possible hoping a goalmouth incident/ chance is going to hit the net and I want to be off my seat at the final whistle celebrating a derby win 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

What I want is quite simple , I want to be off my seat as often a possible celebrating a goal , off my seat as often as possible hoping a goalmouth incident/ chance is going to hit the net and I want to be off my seat at the final whistle celebrating a derby win 🤷🏻‍♂️

We all do, obviously.  I'm just not convinced we're any closer to that now, than we were a year ago under Rosenior.  At best we've swapped one extreme for the other - instead of being too conservative with the ball and keeping it at the back too much, we're too aggressive with it and we get it forward quickly, but often don't have the control or the support there to do anything with it when we do.  

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

What made Rosenior's football boring, whilst Warne's is entertaining? Shots?

Rosenior's games which we didn't win:
Charlton - 15 shots
Shrewsbury - 13 shots
Fleetwood - 27  shots
Plymouth - 12 shots
Lincoln - 10 shots

I recall goalkeepers being man of the match in at least 2 of those games (Fleetwood and Lincoln)

In the games this season, we've had 20, 9, 11, 13, 13 and 10 shots. As you can see, there isn't any improvement in chance creation. There are a couple of main differences. Warne's style of play means more shots in relation to number of passes and possession, Collins was unlucky with a number of efforts under Rosenior, whilst Waghorn has been clinical this season.

Is it not possible that Rotherham had a high 'Passes allowed Per Defensive Action' because they were so wasteful with their passing, resulting in the opposition had fewer defensive actions to make? We're 13th for PPDA this season, behind the likes of Wycombe,  Northampton and Shrewsbury. It's also possibly that Rosenior acknowledge the abilities of his squad (mostly old and slow) which leant itself to not pressing as aggressively.

Wow , you live in a different footballing world to me , i have next to no interest in possession stats , shots stats , xg numbers , iv no interest in dissecting games this way afterwards , I want to turn up at games and judge for myself in terms of how the game made me feel whilst watching it , I don’t buy a season ticket , drive 3 hours each way to then trawl the media for stats and numbers , I know when I like what I see and enjoy a match and I know when I reckon we were rubbish, 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who signed Didzy - we know Warne wouldn't have.

And yet he had his most productive season ever under warne with the team set up the way warne sent it out , playing the way Warne instructed it to do ? It’s quite possible that under rosenior didzy might not have had the season he did under warne , he may not have recieved that pass early enough , he may not have been in the position s he was ,,, niether you or I can say how things would have panned out for didzy and the whole team come to that under rosenior

2 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Portsmouth have had an even bigger overhaul and they seem pretty stable already. Our overhaul last season was bigger than this season and again for the most part we looked pretty stable if not exciting.

Portsmouth are the only undefeated team in the league after 6 games (9 unbeaten in all comps) having only conceded 2 goals - 3 of their back 4 are new signings - , they're also the only team to beat current league leaders Exeter.

While I agree we do still need time for our team to gel, the way we play doesn't actually promote our own players becoming familiar with each other's games so it's going to be a long slog.

Perhaps we should have tried to bed players into a less chaotic system and tried to keep things tight for the first few games instead of playing Kamikaze football?

And Well done portsmouth .👏🏻

Doesnt mean their the norm though does it… more like the anomaly

Do agree to an extent… but its football .. s*** happens .. sometimes it just takes time

13 minutes ago, Archied said:

Wow , you live in a different footballing world to me , i have next to no interest in possession stats , shots stats , xg numbers , iv no interest in dissecting games this way afterwards , I want to turn up at games and judge for myself in terms of how the game made me feel whilst watching it , I don’t buy a season ticket , drive 3 hours each way to then trawl the media for stats and numbers , I know when I like what I see and enjoy a match and I know when I reckon we were rubbish, 

Did you not just say "I want to be off my seat as often a possible celebrating a goal , off my seat as often as possible hoping a goalmouth incident/ chance is going to hit the net and I want to be off my seat at the final whistle celebrating a derby win"?

PPDA was in direct response to someone using that stat in defence of Warne's football.
Number of shots, the only other stat I referenced in my post, is exactly what you're looking for when YOU watch us play. I've proven that there isn't any real difference in the number of shots between Rosenior and Warne. Yet, Rosenior's football bored you and Warne's doesn't?

11 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

We all do, obviously.  I'm just not convinced we're any closer to that now, than we were a year ago under Rosenior.  At best we've swapped one extreme for the other - instead of being too conservative with the ball and keeping it at the back too much, we're too aggressive with it and we get it forward quickly, but often don't have the control or the support there to do anything with it when we do.  

Warne is going about it a different way to Rosenior clearly. I wasn’t happy with the change as felt Liam deserved his chance but then Clowes wanted Warne probably for his league 1 record but also because as a human being their values aligned. Liam did get his contract from Mel so could have been being paid Monopoly money for all we know. 

That’s fine, proof will be ultimately in where Warne takes us. You are steadfast in your view that’s nowhere with a style of football not easy on the eye. My view is his football style isn’t as bad as you make out especially at home last season (away i concede), but ultimately it’s about getting us out of this league and then taking us to the sharp end of the championship. 

I think he will do the first part (get us promoted) and hopefully this season. If he doesn’t do it this season his position should be under scrutiny. As for the second part in the championship, that will be the acid test of his credentials and i remain on the fence. 

I don’t think anyone can legitimately say Liam would’ve got us in the playoffs last season, and conversely if Warne gets us promoted this season i don’t think anyone can really say Liam wouldn’t have done the same. Hull are looking good under Liam this season but it also needs to be recognised that he’s been given unbelievable backing. Ultimately the moves have worked out well for both managers, and I don’t think we can really judge Warne yet. 

55 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Where has all this Rosenior stuff come from now

The point was argued and the forum was unanimous mostly that bringing Warne in was correct.

Get behind Warne now and move on 

Only place I'm happy to get behind Warne is in the queue at the job centre. But I do agree with you that we need to move on from Warne.

26 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Was just answering the question of what do people want and for me that’s it , I don’t care about possession stats , I don’t care about xg numbers , I don’t care about how many shots to the number of passes we have , I don’t care if our defence can play keepy up keep ball for ten minutes at a time during games , it’s not my thing , it’s not why I still have season tickets after over 50 years of watching derby ,

am I impressed with our start to the season ? Not particularly 

will I be up in arms if warne doesn’t sort it out fairly quickly with the players at his disposal ? Oh yes 

but it won’t be because we don’t play this type or that type of football it will be because we are not good enough at whatever the manager is trying to do 🤷🏻‍♂️

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Did you not just say "I want to be off my seat as often a possible celebrating a goal , off my seat as often as possible hoping a goalmouth incident/ chance is going to hit the net and I want to be off my seat at the final whistle celebrating a derby win"?

PPDA was in direct response to someone using that stat in defence of Warne's football.
Number of shots, the only other stat I referenced in my post, is exactly what you're looking for when YOU watch us play. I've proven that there isn't any real difference in the number of shots between Rosenior and Warne. Yet, Rosenior's football bored you and Warne's doesn't?

Nope , you’ve lost me again ,,, ppda ? 😂, I must have missed that one on the popside and ossie end all those years ,

WATCHING game in the ground rosenior s team frustrated the hell ot of me in a way warnes approach didn’t last season , finding warnes team this season frustrating for different reason s 

im a derby fan , I’ve no interest in being a football analyst, no problem with anybody enjoying the latter approach but just be aware that if you ask me what I’m looking for from watching derby it’s going to be old school derby fan stuff🤷🏻‍♂️

15 hours ago, Yoxoram said:

I'm in the same camp as Archied. The slow turgid passing sideways and sideways and sideways again didn't entertain me either. I was surprised when Rosenior wasn't given the job full time but neither was I unhappy.

so you prefer this now where we sit back and struggle to control games? 

your ok with desperatley holding on to a 1-0 lead whilst being outplayed at home by Fleetwood town?

12 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

U know its early days of the season right… weve brought in 8/9 /10 ?players

Thats a massive overhaul by any stretch, theyre not going to gel within 5 minutes.

wait til xmas lets see what signs we can see of progression 

but the start of last season we had even more new players than that and we were still playing better stuff. 

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How long? Clough had 5 years and still wasn't there. It's a point that is impossible to argue against because all that will be said is, well that wasn't long enough! 😄

exactly, a manager has to earn more time. They have to show progress and have a clear plan of how we should be playing, whilst of course still picking up some results. You can't just keep saying give him more time because eventually it will come good. Right now it just feels like we're playing without any identity or tactics.