Not a top 3 team.

Charliegeorge1962

16 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Nothing wrong with Warne saying we arenā€™t a top 3 team without investment .He hasnā€™t spent muchĀ 

David Clowes said his budget was good enough to compete. So if anything had changed I'm sure he would say so.

On 21/08/2023 at 23:06, CBRammette said:

That is the sort of player I really thought we would sign this summer with a few more "risks" taken on promising lower league or younger players. Although if no/very low fee and low wages not much of a risk if we are aiming for a steady sustainable rebuild.
I think the sort of player we have signed is the main reason I am so disappointed at the start of the season - not results, not style, not PW but the short-term-ism of the recruitment (not blaming anyone in particular) and the fact our youngsters who havent broken through yet only seem to get a proper chance when there is no other choice like on Saturday. Pre-season it looked as if the next batch would get their chance but I dont think they will. Despite the off-field nonsense I really felt connected to the team with blend of our youngsters and more experienced pros bringing them through over the last 2-3 seasons. By accident it seemed we had ironically found "the Derby way". But with Bird and Cashin probably off/being sold to fund more journeyman (nothing personal) I find it all a bit sad and disappointing. Would have rather built a younger more long-term team I am invested in than get a quick promotion but thats just me I suspect!

Again dont really want to blame anyone but suspect financially us getting out of this league is a priority but ironically the short-term signings with that aim may make it less likely.

Ignore my depressed ramblings, think this is the year the ramifications (no pun intended) of Mel's mess really come to fruition. And last night I watched the Leeds v Derby playoff semi second leg!

Completely agree with this PoV.

Before the trip to Spain, I thought the transfer business was solid if uninspiring and hoped we would kick on with some more 'exciting' signings once the foundations were in place. We may still do so but I really hoped the recruitment team would be tasked with unearthing some rough diamonds that we could add in to complement the solid experience.

As it is the signing I was most excited by has proven to be way off the pace (so far) and the exciting signings just haven't materialised (so far)...

I don't think anyone can say with any authority if the uninspiring window is the result of PW's stance, poor recruitment team, difficult market or a lack of genuine budget.Ā 

As it is PW's assessment of where we are is correct. We might challenge for the playoffs but with a thread bare squad with a lack of pace and variation it's going to be a long old grind

We could end with a bang but from being quite optimistic about the initial flurry, the best signing we've made to date looks like a guy we already knew about and who happened to fall into our lap because of a testimonial!

Let's hope there are some hidden gems in the pipeline they turn out to be once in a generation talents that we can ask get excited by.

1 hour ago, RodleyRam said:

I don't think anyone can say with any authority if the uninspiring window is the result of PW's stance, poor recruitment team, difficult market or a lack of genuine budget.Ā 

As it is PW's assessment of where we are is correct. We might challenge for the playoffs but with a thread bare squad with a lack of pace and variation it's going to be a long old grind

Fortunately one man can take a good guess, that man being Clowes. It's being added to one or other side of the Warne weighing scales.

Whilst I generally enjoy listening to Warne I donā€™t agree with his comments basically telling the squad that they wonā€™t get promoted.

thereā€™s still time for some signings to come in, I imagine he had a negative mindset after learning about the length of time that the injured players would be out for.

if we canā€™t get out of League One this season then that will fall squarely at his feet.Ā 

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ā 

People saying we're not spending enough to get out of the league, while conveniently ignoring the fact Plymouth got promoted with a budget that most of us would struggle to do a weekly shop with.

People also claim Sheffield Wednesday spent loads, when their last financial report showed their lowest wage spend in 10 years.

Ipswich spent a decent wedge, but they'd just been taken over, and had yank bank accounts to drain.

Realistically, who else in this league is spending money? I absolutely do not buy the argument that anyone in this league is chucking money about. A sensible budgetĀ  backed by a decent crowd (which we had last year, never mind this) should have us competing right at the top, financially. And should be more than enough to challenge for promotion.

3 hours ago, Seth's left foot said:

Whilst I generally enjoy listening to Warne I donā€™t agree with his comments basically telling the squad that they wonā€™t get promoted.

thereā€™s still time for some signings to come in, I imagine he had a negative mindset after learning about the length of time that the injured players would be out for.

if we canā€™t get out of League One this season then that will fall squarely at his feet.Ā 

I seem to remember a video of him telling the team in pre season that promotion is the aim.Ā 

3 hours ago, brady1993 said:

If im being harsh these comments along with a few others do feel a little like somebody who's getting their excuses in early and deflecting from his own role in the shaping of the squad and matchday performance.

If I'm being optimistic these comments, along with a few others do feel a little like somebody who is preparing their excuses for when things go wrong and they come to a mutual agreement with the owner to move on! šŸ˜„