v Oxford United (H) Match Thread

Kernow

Have believed in Warne all along and bitten back at people previously on Twitter etc but that was baaaaad! Oxford deserved to win and should have had a peno. Crap ref in general but we were so poor. Some observations:

Cashin looked so much better in a back 4 last season. Looks exposed and nervous left of the 3.

The formation just leaves spaces in all the wrong places. Similar problem to last season that between our midfield and strikers is a gap with no one in between to link owt. But then there’s so much room for opposition to play through us. Before they scored Oxford had a few great opportunities.

The likes of Wilson and Mendez-Laing then found themselves out wide in decent positions but with 3 players to beat and the option to lump it in or go to defence.

I too am now worried because what players we have brought in are very much brought in for a system that doesn’t seem to be working at all.

Eeek 

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

No end product because he goes down blind alleys. Yes he needs to learn but there’s also very rarely any options given inside. 

Energy is what we need though. He brings something we desperately want in the middle. 

you can have all the energy you want in the centre, but the tactics are clearly to get the ball out wide, run down the line, and hoof it into the box. repeat over and over again until something happens. Thats it.

First half very poor, statuesque midfield with no communication and we deserved to be losing, with only NML and Wilson looking positive and wanting the ball.

We actually looked ok at the start of the second half, much better movement from the midfield. Then came the subs and we returned to a disjointed performance.

Not sure what to say really…….. aside from the set pieces we deserved to lose. 

12 minutes ago, InstaRam said:

A good manager can see and accept when something won't work and implement changes accordingly. I think/hope Warne will do so.

I’m growing increasingly sceptical that he will. He had the players to change the formation which wasn’t effective and instead put a square peg in a round hole as his first unenforced option. Even chasing the game he persisted with 3 at the back, despite the fact it meant that among those pressing forward at the end were the least capable of delivering an offensive pass. At this moment I’m not reassured he will adapt and that is more frustrating than issues around player signings/selections etc.

Edited by Guest