v Oxford United (H) Match Thread

Kernow

Just really struggling to see what the plan is, the defence looks awful. Midfield just gets run through. Nothing up front at all. They actually passed the ball and had movement, balls into space rather waiting to feet side to side.

we look a lot poorer than last season. Four at the back and hopefully using our wingers to get us up the pitch seems a good place to start.

will say fair play to Thompson. Been a big critic but thought he did well tonight, showed for the ball, ran into space which seemed a novel concept! And also had a shot on target.

we need some legs and size in midfield, some pace up front. Throughout the team as well.

big game Saturday.

9 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

why boo the ref though, he saved us an obvious red card and penalty first half

He didn’t see it, along with a number of other incidents. The Lino on the east side did see much either. They might as well have played cards together. Ref had a lot of yellow ones that he liked waving around in a random fashion. Very poor performance. It matched ours !

Not happy, not clapping, that was dreadful. Thommo and Waggy to start, got to 4 at the back. Where has the slick stuff gone that we saw preseason ? Something isn’t right and it’s more than just formations. Too many Players seem to lack confidence and fire, Oxford were tidy and had some pace but they weren’t that good, We made them look good. Wigan were way better. 

35 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Warne "Oxford might have just had better players than us".

Derby County, 2023. Get him out.

I can't think of any positive reason for saying that. Similar to his comments after Blackpool about players being distracted by transfer offers. If anything it just puts players off playing for you. He said himself he wants players who would be his mates.

(By the way, the Blackpool Warne kept saying were Championship quality couldn't beat Port Vale at home tonight)

Edited by DCFC Kicks

Strange bit from the Rams TV interview "There might be reasons for certain things but I'm going to keep that under my hat" and then he sort of went onto something else. 

I've not heard the word disappointed or disappointing used so many times before. Bird's injury sounds very bad by the way as if the evening couldn't get any worse, too much pain to describe what the injury was apparently. Did Warne say anything on Radio Derby about Bird, he said on Rams TV he'd find out before that interview. 

2 minutes ago, TZM said:

What’s happened to the high press that Warne said he’d be implementing from day 1? Has he abandoned it due to the players we have? Instead, we only engaged when the opposition got into our half and then just looked to play it long. Absolutely dire viewing.

Think this is it.

IMG_1500.gif

Just got home and listened to Warnes interview and that’s the first time I think he’s lost it - that was awful, dreadful in every dept, we couldn’t get the basics right and the players looked lost and not happy with the way they are being asked to play.

And Warne says the second half was ok and there were bits that pleased him ?

There was nothing about that performance that pleased me - yes we scored a goal but it was kick and rush football by then. Yes Thompson did OK when he came on but why at wide left ?! Get him in midfield FFS !!!

A complete inability to admit that his preferred formation is not working - everyone but the manager can see that !!

For the first time under Warne I’m angry 😞

15 minutes ago, inter politics said:

I thought the last bit of the interview was correct. No pace, something not right, incorrect formation with current players but talk is cheap.

Surely he didn’t say those things?

How can he put that team out and say it’s the incorrect formation with those players…half being what he’s signed this summer and the formation being one he’s used all preseason?!

Edited by Mckram

2 minutes ago, TheTinMan said:

Strange bit from the Rams TV interview "There might be reasons for certain things but I'm going to keep that under my hat" and then he sort of went onto something else. 

I've not heard the word disappointed or disappointing used so many times before. Bird's injury sounds very bad by the way as if the evening couldn't get any worse, too much pain to describe what the injury was apparently. Did Warne say anything on Radio Derby about Bird, he said on Rams TV he'd find out before that interview. 

He said some rubbish about "wouldn't it be nice if I pulled 3 Brazilians out from behind a curtain".

The usual drivel.

1 minute ago, Mckram said:

Surely he didn’t say those things?

How can he put that team out and say it’s the incorrect formation with those players…half being what he’s signed this summer and the formation being one he’s used all preseason?!

Because he's questioning himself, as anyone would after tonight

Despite identical scorelines, I came away this evening a lot more disappointed and concerned for the future than I did after the Wigan game.  That one gave us glimpses of hope.  Some titbits to savour.  Some minor hints that team cohesion was just around the corner.  I did little more than shrug my shoulders, murmur the word "Meh", and cracked on.
Tonight's performance was dire from start to finish.  Dross.  Clueless.

If we don't make up for this evening by upping the ante on Saturday, I fear a backlash.  

Oh... and I don't like the South Stand clock starting the second half from zero.  Get back to running it from 45, which I'm sure it did for the Wigan game(?).