Is Warne living on borrowed time?

We’d be better off paying for players than paying Warne and Co off.

We’re playing League Two lump it football and if we’re not careful we’ll be in the right league to play it in.

Plan B requires a four man defence, players who are comfortable with the ball at their feet and playing young players that can run alongside the better of the oldies.

8 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Who's even available if we were to get rid? Apart from Moore?

Moore and Wilder would probably be the favourites for the job.

My worry would be that it would cost so much to get rid, any decent appointment would be ruled out and it would be an internal replacement like Bucko.

7 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Concerned about how we've started this season but not ready to get the knives out yet. 

I want to see some players brought in over the next couple of weeks.

I also want to know what happened to the football we were playing from November to February last season. In that run of games unbeaten we looked good. Where has that gone?

I wonder if anyone could find our ppg under Warne with Sibley at left back and without.

Obviously there was more to it, but it seemed to me that we just clicked with Louie at full back and drifted backwards again when he was replaced...or maybe I'm just senile and remembering it wrong.

7 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Lee Carsley?

I would rather Paul Warne turned into a competent football manager who played the formation best suited to our players, played round pegs in round holes, drilled the team tactically so all knew what we were doing on and off the ball and showed signs that he was building a progressive team playing attractive football. That is clearly the best option because we can’t afford to sack them all but if this continues can’t afford not to.

I feel sorry for Clowes but a 4 year contract is not looking like a good move is it. Pretty sure we are all feeling terrible this morning - imagine how he’s feeling. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Yes I'm clutching at straws, stating a fact about our chances and you aren't with your hypothetical what 

You are right. Having watched the highlights he was onside he was behind his markers but someone at the near post played him on.

It was still an appalling performance, we still should have been down to 10 men, they still had 2 probable penalties turned down, we have still only won 1 of our last 9 home games, we still look slow and disorganised.

It's a poo show.

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Totally get where you’re coming from but it’s not three or four games, he’s been in charge since September.

Think he needs time to try and get it right, especially after we’ve let him sign seven players, but how we’re playing and some of his tactical decisions (Bird further forward, NML upfront, the missing link between defence and midfield to name just a few) are becoming increasingly more concerning. 

I am really starting to worry that McGoldrick’s freak season was masking a less than average team 😞

Obviously true but it’s a different team to the one we had from Sept to May

He deserves a chance to find solutions and make a team of the squad he’s assembled, even if it’s in a different system to the one he wants to play

Still time left in the window, we only have one number ten at the club and he’s injured; if I was Clowes I wouldn’t be judging Warne too harshly right now

I’m 99% certain Warneball will be left to play out because of our circumstances which is why I’m frustrated with the mood

Obviously there’s no boos, tweets or forum posts that are as impactful as what the players can do on the pitch but the negative atmosphere at PP and calls for his head at this point are disappointing. The bookies having us as league favourites based entirely on size/reputation has increased the sense of panic, the perception amongst the fans is that this is an unsalvageable start isn’t healthy and I think we will bounce back from this

10 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

What I can’t fathom is from last season he said he wanted pace and hasn’t addressed it. He says tonight he needs pace and hasn’t addressed it. 

It's not pace that's the problem, it's position. The players can't find each other precisely because he's got them all running around "at pace" all the time. No-one knows where any bugger else is! 

Imo it is still far too early to replace Warne. It always takes time for multiple signings to gel. We've seen plenty of seasons where the opening few games proved to be no indicator of the rest of the season. 

Maybe I'm a little biased because possession based football bores the pants off me, so I really want to see Warne's preferred style work out.

My worry is that the new signings seem to have moved away from actual Warneball. That's potentially a big red flag.

I'd say that Warne should get until late November, unless we're in serious relegation trouble. If he hasn't improved things significantly by then, he hasbto go. A change then would give a new manager a month to assess the players before the window opens and enough games for a late push for the top 6.

2 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

He deserves a chance to find solutions and make a team of the squad he’s assembled, even if it’s in a different system to the one he wants to play

You mean another chance.

That's what he did last season when we went on our best run of form, but he ditched the idea and reverted to 5 at the back again to see the season out.

It looked OK toward the end of the season with Roberts & Knight playing at the wing backs because they're both defensively competent (at least more so than Ward/Wilson).

The problem is now he has form, so you know that even if he changes thing up to go with a back 4 again then it'll probably only be as a temporary, emergency measure that goes against what he really wants to do,  and he'll be itching to reinstate the back 5.

So what's the point? 

I'd sack him if we lose on Saturday to Fleetwood again and make it 4 losses from 4 at home, keep him too long and we will be that behind the top sides it will be asking too much to turn it round.  Even if we lose 4 0 and Marriot gets a hatrick Clowes won't sack him until atleast September I think because he's backed him and it will be costly. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

18 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Paul Warne is an absolute shell of the man he was a year ago, he looks really broken. For a manager to say "I know a secret but I'm not telling" seems unprofessional and a weird attempt to get himself off the hook whist doing all the usual "I picked the team, it's on me" pity thing.

Tin hat time, but perhaps the rumours about Warne leaving / being sacked a few weeks ago were not completely unfounded and based on a falling out between DC and PW? The big budget/no budget thing could be a sign the pot was starting to boil over.

I'd put all of my imaginary EuroMillions winnings on Inigo Idiakez leaving Villa U21s to manage us; He seems to love us more now than I ever thought he did playing for us. Unfinished business from the Pearson era. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12901636/inigo-idiakez-exclusive-interview-why-derby-was-best-year-of-his-career-tough-love-at-leicester-and-life-in-mexico

1 minute ago, Taribo said:

Paul Warne is an absolute shell of the man he was a year ago, he looks really broken. For a manager to say "I know a secret but I'm not telling" seems unprofessional and a weird attempt to get himself off the hook whist doing all the usual "I picked the team, it's on me" pity thing.

Just watched his post-match with Owen Bradley and this was the immediate impression I formed. He looks shell-shocked, like a man who's thinking "It doesn't seem to be working and we're being booed. I'm not used to this. What do I do?" 

This would explain the comments you mention and the "head turned" after Blackpool.

Good point about the "I picked the team" comment too. It can come across as honourable but it basically means "I picked the team of players who failed".

It’s still too early judge. I’m not buying the aggregating last season and this season results together, different squads, different seasons, different circumstances. I’d also say back end of last season there were games where we didn’t pick up points but the performances were good - Pompey MK Dons and Shrewsbury spring to mind. 

The start is concerning and I’d be less worried if performances were good. Some players injured or coming back from injury aren’t helping, Bradley and Nelson are struggling but they need some time. 

I think Warne has actually proved adaptable since he’s been here, he very quickly ditched his preferred 3-5-2 last season when it wasn’t working. He was certainly hinting in his interview he’s ready to ditch it again. To quote him it doesn’t look right and  we need to find a way to win games. A good manager is one who recognises when it’s not working and makes changes. 

It’s no doubt the toughest period he’s had in charge so far and it’s time for him to earn his money. If we’re playing football like this and not winning in 5 or 6 games time Clowes will come under serious pressure to pull the trigger. But If a new manager won’t get the backing how will that improve things? 

43 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

There will be loads of people available. Just that we can't afford the "glamour" names coming off a hot season like Moore. 

Might need to look at someone who has had one or two bad appointments and so has low wage demands. 

Need someone with a reputation for playing football so people actually want to sign for us.

I'd honestly take Phil Brown on a 1 year contract right now.

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

Me waiting for someone to make a ‘who’s next Derby manager’ topic as I don’t want to be the poo house to do it.

image.gif.f18c25db620c3de50df3eee816ab7d68.gif

Gary Bowyer. Knows the club, knows the academy, has a decent managerial record (including Scottish Championship manager of the season last year), and wants to move back to England. At the moment, he'd be my pick to steady the ship, introduce acacdemy players to the squad, get us up, and set the foundations for the next manager.

Other managers have faults which don't make them suited to the role at the club at this moment in time. Not many are currently out of work. Wilder would have high wage demands and the CBs aren't suited to how he likes his sides to play. Can he adapt? Moore favours older players, rarely uses the academy.

From managers currently at other clubs, there's only really Evatt (high compensation fee?), Simpson (comfortable at Carlisle?) and Clough (likes his long term confort) to choose from.

31 minutes ago, sage said:

You are right. Having watched the highlights he was onside he was behind his markers but someone at the near post played him on.

It was still an appalling performance, we still should have been down to 10 men, they still had 2 probable penalties turned down, we have still only won 1 of our last 9 home games, we still look slow and disorganised.

It's a poo show.

The penalties are subjective, I thought one was but we've had a couple this season I felt we might have gotten too. 

By all means slate the performance, but had Washington stuck that chance away I think the outlook would be very different.