Why so negative????

1 game played

Could have easily won by 2 clear goals but for 2 absolute shockers

Still 3 weeks of window open to get some pace in

An opening day defeat should serve us better than a 5-0 win as it will temper expectations. 

We have had a fair bit of turnover during the summer and it's never going to gel straight away.

Stop your whining...

1 minute ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

This is the reason. Every rumour, whilst rumours as we know aren't everything, are for the opposite of this. Then having seen how desperate we are for it in the flesh, it's enough for us to start to get a bit nervous.

11 minutes ago, Srg said:

This is the reason. Every rumour, whilst rumours as we know aren't everything, are for the opposite of this. Then having seen how desperate we are for it in the flesh, it's enough for us to start to get a bit nervous.

that would be for 'some of us' to start to get nervous....

10 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

1 game played

An opening day defeat should serve us better than a 5-0 win as it will temper expectations. 

We have had a fair bit of turnover during the summer and it's never going to gel straight away.

Stop your whining...

Correct, only one game played, we played well enough but on the basis that we only scored one goal I'm not sure how we could have "easily won by two clear goals"? 

It's looking increasingly likely that we won't get pace in. The market is absolutely flat. Even PL teams don't seem to be letting youngsters go out on loan. Teams who have relied heavily on loans in the past might struggle this year.

Your point that you'd rather lose than win 5-0 is completely lost on me. I'll take the 5-0 win thanks. I'm sure the topic among Barnsley fans having beaten Port Vale 7-0 wasn't "I wish we'd lost".

It clearly hasn't gelled straight away but I'm not worried. We played well enough in patches on Saturday to suggest we could have a good season. You wouldn't expect the defence to be collectively that poor again this season.

People have gone over the top, but also I've seen some very valid constructive criticism that you clearly see as whining. 

12 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

1 game played

I'm not sure Maths is your strong suit. I would also point out they had the best chance that wasn't scored from. 

No one is slashing their wrists, 90% of posts offered constructive concerns at where we are and judging my comments by PW we haven't got the budget to sign the players for the positions he wants. We deserved a draw in the opening game, but suggest that the 2 mistakes were completely isolated incidents is wrong, they also had a 1 on 1 and a free header. 

Because our manager is a fitness coach in a bobble hat whose only tactic is to run and smash the ball in, the average squad age is 76, and we’ve replaced David McGoldrick with Martyn Waghorn who’s scored one goal this decade. 

Oh, and our budget to do anything about these things is £2.50 and a bag of quavers.

But apart from that, everything’s fine. HMS piss the league and all that 

Everyone knows that we’ve only played one game, but the opening day in many ways can be a tone setter.

Everyone knows that I back Warne and believe he has what it takes to succeed here, but after the way we finished last season and the way the summer transfer window has unfolded, we needed a positive, affirmative start to wash away growing concerns.

You could feel the energy in the stadium - it wasn’t one of confidence or excitement. It was rather flat - a mix of nerves, tension and in some cases trepidation.

The performance didn’t do anything to lift the mood. Making one solitary signing won’t do that either, as welcome as Waghorn obviously is.

I don’t think anyone is whining. I think people are seeing fears realised and in some cases, like mine, people are just disappointed we didn’t show more.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Because our manager is a fitness coach in a bobble hat whose only tactic is to run and smash the ball in, the average squad age is 76, and we’ve replaced David McGoldrick with Martyn Waghorn who’s scored one goal this decade. 

Oh, and our budget to do anything about these things is £2.50 and a bag of quavers.

But apart from that, everything’s fine. HMS piss the league and all that 

That's really not fair - you forgot to mention the EFL deliberately changing the rules to hamper us.  Making us run for 20% longer in matches with the new extra time rules, and preventing Warne from making in-game changes because his brain only works when Richie Barker is perfectly perpendicular to him on the touchline, not sat back down in the dugout.

12 games in is the time to extrapolate how the season is going. Not after 1 League game. It's akin to those who failed to see +s last Saturday believing that the indigenous people of North America walk in single file based on the one they saw doing that...

There's another 23 days of transfer window to go. Most of any action will be in the last 10 days when PL sides decide who would benefit from a move or a loan as they aren't going to get into the 25 or however many man squad it is there. That's when moves will be made as the PL sides will know their young uns will develop better elsewhere getting playing time than just sitting in the stands watching millionaires diving...

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Everyone knows that we’ve only played one game, but the opening day in many ways can be a tone setter.

Everyone knows that I back Warne and believe he has what it takes to succeed here, but after the way we finished last season and the way the summer transfer window has unfolded, we needed a positive, affirmative start to wash away growing concerns.

You could feel the energy in the stadium - it wasn’t one of confidence or excitement. It was rather flat - a mix of nerves, tension and in some cases trepidation.

The performance didn’t do anything to lift the mood. Making one solitary signing won’t do that either, as welcome as Waghorn obviously is.

I don’t think anyone is whining. I think people are seeing fears realised and in some cases, like mine, people are just disappointed we didn’t show more.

I think this is a very fair assessment. It seems to me, that the fans who were dissapointed or couldn't understand Paul Warne's appointment have not been shouting any louder recently. What we are not seeing much of now is those who were cheerleaders for Warne last season speaking up for him too much. This could be for a number of reasons, but there has been a change of mood on this board, and Warne has a few more fans to win over/win back than he did say at the end of January. Hopefully his next two signings will help him deliver. I think we have a pretty good squad. It should go up. Come on Warney earn your money.

I  read most of the posts about the game before I saw it on RamsTV. I have now watched the whole match and I have to say I was pleasently suprised. The football was pretty good. We were the better side as the stats show and apart from the blunders we could have won. Wigan were no mugs.

Reasonably optimistic at the moment. Waghorn may be a more potent Collins but we will see. 

48 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Correct, only one game played, we played well enough but on the basis that we only scored one goal I'm not sure how we could have "easily won by two clear goals"? 

It's looking increasingly likely that we won't get pace in. The market is absolutely flat. Even PL teams don't seem to be letting youngsters go out on loan. Teams who have relied heavily on loans in the past might struggle this year.

Your point that you'd rather lose than win 5-0 is completely lost on me. I'll take the 5-0 win thanks. I'm sure the topic among Barnsley fans having beaten Port Vale 7-0 wasn't "I wish we'd lost".

It clearly hasn't gelled straight away but I'm not worried. We played well enough in patches on Saturday to suggest we could have a good season. You wouldn't expect the defence to be collectively that poor again this season.

People have gone over the top, but also I've seen some very valid constructive criticism that you clearly see as whining. 

From what i saw (on hols at mo) Forsyth should have scored a second, Collins missed 1 he should have buried and Sonny missed an absolute sitter.

4-2 with accounting for 2 decent chances of their own (minus the bloopers) would have been my take.

9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I think this is a very fair assessment. It seems to me, that the fans who were dissapointed or couldn't understand Paul Warne's appointment have not been shouting any louder recently. What we are not seeing much of now is those who were cheerleaders for Warne last season speaking up for him too much. This could be for a number of reasons, but there has been a change of mood on this board, and Warne has a few more fans to win over/win back than he did say at the end of January. Hopefully his next two signings will help him deliver. I think we have a pretty good squad. It should go up. Come on Warney earn your money.

I would love to defend and speak up for Warne, but on the basis of Saturday’s performance, it is difficult.

It was the kind of result and performance that would give anyone with doubts over Warne all the ammunition needed. It would be plain ignorant to suggest otherwise.

The tactics didn’t work. The shape didn’t work. We conceded two painfully avoidable goals that highlighted major flaws in the coaching team’s approach. The overall approach brought the best out of few, not many.

Warne doesn’t have to win me over personally, but I think it is fair to say that the situation is fragile and goodwill from the fanbase could evaporate very quickly If signings aren’t forthcoming and there aren’t signs of life.

We really need a win tonight to get the ball rolling and build some confidence because if not, our upcoming run looks littered with trip hazards.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

for me its an outpouring of lots of red flags and warning signs all summer, we have been told everythings fine everythings fine, then when we finally see it in action it's everything we worried about.

it is not negativity it is worry, i am really not keen as some of lingering at this level

It's just Frustration + Concern, coming out looking like Negativity.

Frustration that we've lost a match showing exactly the same sort of weaknesses and unsuitability to play the designated style of football which were on display last season. Lessons seemed to have been learned toward the end of last season and improvements made on the coaching side of things. Was this a mirage?

Frustration that, by our own admission we've given a 'promotion expert' a budget which 'good enough for promotion' so, a year removed, why does it feel like we're hardly any closer to being able to put a promotion attempt together with the squad assembled (so far!) by this manager (supplemented by a new and well regarded head of recruitment) than with the one we hurriedly assembled in a few short weeks before the previous season started?

Concern that despite a promotion-level budget and the 'king of league one' being in charge of allocating it, we're going to fluff our lines.

If it ends up that Warne isn't able to get us up (or at least challenging) with a budget declared good enough to do just that... then who would be?  That however is a concern for well in the future. I still have faith we'll achieve what we want, but I need to start seeing some more signs of that faith being rewarded.

Edited by Kokosnuss