Why so negative????

6 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

1 game played

Could have easily won by 2 clear goals but for 2 absolute shockers

Still 3 weeks of window open to get some pace in

An opening day defeat should serve us better than a 5-0 win as it will temper expectations. 

We have had a fair bit of turnover during the summer and it's never going to gel straight away.

Stop your whining...

How about now?

The club and how it performs is very important to the vast majority of people. I speak probably for 80-90% of us on here that when we lose, it sticks in my throat. It impacts  my mood, therefore my interactions with people, it impacts my productivity, it impacts my concentration. It’s one of the biggest sources of frustration and irritation that I have to deal with in my life. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice that’s all I have to really deal with, but that’s the reason for my negativity and most other peoples, I would guess.

We haven’t really had any form of success in 4-5 years and now in League One, averaging over 27k a game, with a dominant commercial backing over everyone else, it looks like we’re massively short and from what we’re told unable to really do anything about it. I’m frustrated that we haven’t decided to at least attempt something longer term, with some good young players. You look at Reading and the s*** they’re in, but they still went out and got Smith, Knibbs and Savage - young(ish) players who they want to develop. We went with the more established pros who there is no long term vision for other than to get out of this league - unfortunately, if that doesn’t happen then we’re in a worse position due to the recruitment as we don’t have any resale value or a revenue stream out of our squad. That’s my frustration. 

We have gambled and invested, fairly significantly, in promotion this season. Regardless of there being no fees, we’ve spent good wages on experienced players who are expected to get us out of this league. We may have been better signing younger players, similar to how most league one clubs go about their business. Six of Barnsley’s eight signings are 25 or under. Same with Bolton. One of our eight signings is 25 or under. Big difference. They’re safe guarding their future as best as possible in the transfer market, while we’ve thrown caution to the wind (again)!

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

We have gambled and invested, fairly significantly, in promotion this season. Regardless of there being no fees, we’ve spent good wages on experienced players who are expected to get us out of this league. We may have been better signing younger players, similar to how most league one clubs go about their business. Six of Barnsley’s eight signings are 25 or under. Same with Bolton. One of our eight signings is 25 or under. Big difference. They’re safe guarding their future as best as possible in the transfer market, while we’ve thrown caution to the wind (again)!

Yes. How much of our recruiting is down to finance and/or the EFL business plan? Well it isn't the EFL plan, it is our business plan that we agreed with the EFL, big difference. Maybe that's why Reading et al are able to splash cash on those youngsters, because they want to? 

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

The club and how it performs is very important to the vast majority of people. I speak probably for 80-90% of us on here that when we lose, it sticks in my throat. It impacts  my mood, therefore my interactions with people, it impacts my productivity, it impacts my concentration. It’s one of the biggest sources of frustration and irritation that I have to deal with in my life. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice that’s all I have to really deal with, but that’s the reason for my negativity and most other peoples, I would guess.

We haven’t really had any form of success in 4-5 years and now in League One, averaging over 27k a game, with a dominant commercial backing over everyone else, it looks like we’re massively short and from what we’re told unable to really do anything about it. I’m frustrated that we haven’t decided to at least attempt something longer term, with some good young players. You look at Reading and the s*** they’re in, but they still went out and got Smith, Knibbs and Savage - young(ish) players who they want to develop. We went with the more established pros who there is no long term vision for other than to get out of this league - unfortunately, if that doesn’t happen then we’re in a worse position due to the recruitment as we don’t have any resale value or a revenue stream out of our squad. That’s my frustration. 

We have no money therefore we are shopping at Poundland

1 hour ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

We have no money therefore we are shopping at Poundland

Teams shopping in poundland don't sign 8 players with Championship experience, it's a nice narrative but it actually doesn't ring true. In terms of permanent signings look at what Barnsley have brought in to compare and contrast players from: Woking, Hartlepool, Forest Green and Solihull. 

The players we've signed just this summer aren't far off from 1000 games collectively in the Championship. It will no doubt be broken when further signings are made. 

On 08/08/2023 at 20:57, Tombo said:

I haven't had a great deal of faith in Paul Warne for a little while now. Towards the end of last year I didn't feel he had a good grip on things.

I'm torn though, because we've built "his squad" now, in his formation. We need to give it a bit longer.

I was critical when we had Rosenior have a whole window and blank slate to bring in players, and then let him go. I'd be hypocritical to call for anything different with Warne.

Need to give it at least 10, if not 15, league games

Sorry, changed my mind. Think he has to go.

There's no semblance of what he's trying to do unfortunately. I don't think there's a single player currently who "gets it". As in "gets" what Warne wants. Not even close.

I feel really sad for the whole team and the coaches tonight. You can see when it isn't working. Our best performance was opening day vs Wigan and we've performed worse each game ever since.

Burton was OK, the scoreline flattered us. But even 11 points Derby managed to win once.

I know it seems kneejerk but it's how I genuinely feel. Got to go

Tonight was worrying - we flipped between looking like a pub team and looking like an under 10s side as the whole team ran in the same direction chasing the ball - the only signs of a formation was sticking with a clearly failing three at the back until it was too late - but whether it was lack of discipline to stick with the plan, lack of ability to carry out the instructions or something missing in the coaching, the players out there simply didn’t seem to know what they supposed to be doing - and for Warne to try and say it was because Oxford were the better team and had the better players was frankly embarrassing…they were simply organised and played to their strengths which was the direct opposite of us.

41 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Sorry, changed my mind. Think he has to go.

There's no semblance of what he's trying to do unfortunately. I don't think there's a single player currently who "gets it". As in "gets" what Warne wants. Not even close.

I feel really sad for the whole team and the coaches tonight. You can see when it isn't working. Our best performance was opening day vs Wigan and we've performed worse each game ever since.

Burton was OK, the scoreline flattered us. But even 11 points Derby managed to win once.

I know it seems kneejerk but it's how I genuinely feel. Got to go

I’m edging towards agreeing with you - I can’t see him turning it around 

So negative, because he was here last season and it's like that failure doesn't count? Like we can't extrapolate from how he was then? 

It's not going to change unless he get's rid of all our football players and replaces them with 'athletes'. Remember he wouldn't have signed Didzy, he wouldn't even have signed 'Billy Big Bollox' Waggy until after he'd met him at Fozzy's testimonial. FFS what management skills doe he have?!

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

So negative, because he was here last season and it's like that failure doesn't count? Like we can't extrapolate from how he was then? 

It's not going to change unless he get's rid of all our football players and replaces them with 'athletes'. Remember he wouldn't have signed Didzy, he wouldn't even have signed 'Billy Big Bollox' Waggy until after he'd met him at Fozzy's testimonial. FFS what management skills doe he have?!

This is a concern as well. He talked about having the right characters in the building, but he doesn't seem to be a very good judge of character. He got Waghorn wrong as you said. He didn't think Fozzy was "his kind of player".

How do we know the "good men" he's brought in are of good character? I mean I have no reason to doubt that they are and I must say I don't think we do have any real Big Time Charlies but when his whole philosophy is about characters and personalities his poor judge of character is a worry

Also, if we wanted "characters" we'd have kept Davies and Stearman. It clearly isn't just about having good guys around the place.

Roy Keane's famous rant about "good to have around the place - what does he do card tricks? Does he sing a song??" comes to mind

21 minutes ago, Tombo said:

This is a concern as well. He talked about having the right characters in the building, but he doesn't seem to be a very good judge of character. He got Waghorn wrong as you said. He didn't think Fozzy was "his kind of player"...

Roy Keane's famous rant about "good to have around the place - what does he do card tricks? Does he sing a song??" comes to mind

Lol! Well Keane wouldn't have been signed!