v Blackpool (H) Match Thread

Ambitious

1 minute ago, OohMartWright said:

Having been at both games, I thought tonight’s was far worse than Saturday. On Saturday we played some decent football but were let down by two defensive howlers. Tonight, in the first half, the players looked like they had never met before, and the lack of effort and movement was unbelievable. On numerous occasions a player would lose the ball and give up. Kane Wilson was particularly guilty of this - probably the worst half of football by a player in a Derby shirt that I’ve seen for a decade. Mercifully Paul Warne had the good sense to sub him at halftime. He wasn’t the only one at fault, though. There appeared to be a general “can’t be bothered “ approach throughout most of the team. The second half was better, it had to be, but the damage was already done. It is clear that three at the back is not working and the sooner Warne sees this the more likely he is to still be here at Christmas.

I think was more of a “don’t know what I’m supposed to be doing” tbh.  Nobody knowing whether to hold their position or close down.  Epitomised by the second goal, where at least 3 Derby players all went to close their right wingback at the same time, and one simple pass took them all out of the game and they’re breaking down our left.

Just now, duncanjwitham said:

I think was more of a “don’t know what I’m supposed to be doing” tbh.  Nobody knowing whether to hold their position or close down.  Epitomised by the second goal, where at least 3 Derby players all went to close their right wingback at the same time, and one simple pass took them all out of the game and they’re breaking down our left.

Yep. Keep it simple. Make sure players know their roles and positions and don't overcomplicate 

7 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Wasn’t at the game tonight  Well don't comment then, it was dreadful due to relatives visiting but read the comments on the Forum at half time from some of the “fans” . Just heard the comments from Paul Warne on RamsTV and he backed up that the 1st half was dire. He took responsibility for the performance and looked gutted. He said they had a lot of work to do to improve our performances. Fair does to him for being honest, although I am sure he will get criticised further from the regular “fans” for being honest. 

Our start to the season has been a shock for many fans (not all!) but what we need to do is get behind the team.

I wouldn’t like to have been in the trenches during WWll with many of the contributors on this site, in fact I think they would all be writing in German now if that had been the case. Oh let's have a policy of appeasement instead

It’s probably time to have a rest from this forums for a few weeks until sanity and a bit of realism returns. It’s not good at the moment but just remember where we were 12 months ago and support the guy who saved us and his choice of manager. 44 League game to go for pity’s sake.

9 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Wasn’t at the game tonight due to relatives visiting but read the comments on the Forum at half time from some of the “fans” . Just heard the comments from Paul Warne on RamsTV and he backed up that the 1st half was dire. He took responsibility for the performance and looked gutted. He said they had a lot of work to do to improve our performances. Fair does to him for being honest, although I am sure he will get criticised further from the regular “fans” for being honest. 

Our start to the season has been a shock for many fans (not all!) but what we need to do is get behind the team.

I wouldn’t like to have been in the trenches during WWll with many of the contributors on this site, in fact I think they would all be writing in German now if that had been the case.

It’s probably time to have a rest from this forums for a few weeks until sanity and a bit of realism returns. It’s not good at the moment but just remember where we were 12 months ago and support the guy who saved us and his choice of manager. 44 League game to go for pity’s sake.

Or perhaps the reality is that your throwing your support behind Neville 'peace in our time' Chamberlain in the hope s*** doesn't get worse. 

What an utter shambles that first half was tonight. I don't think it was so much lack of effort that did for us, but the system. 

Someone commented that Blackpool also play three at the back and made it look easy, but actually they had a five man defensive unit across the pitch and a solid midfield in front of them.

This isn't helped by our painfully slow build up play. It takes us an age to play out from the back because neither Nelson nor Bradley are comfortable on the ball. So the Blackpool defence was set, and coped easily with our balls in to two attackers who don't look match-fit.

Blackpool in contrast just got the ball forward quickly and because we were only playing three at the back -at best - often two as Nelson and Cashin are being encouraged to play forwards - we were caught flat-footed on numerous occasions and there could have been a few more goals against us than there were. 

Wilson plays so far forward that he might as well be a winger. Except Mendez-Laing is a much better winger, if we want someone to play that high. (I know he's injured tonight, but just making that general point.) 

Why was Hourihane on the left wing getting in Elder's way? The whole set-up was bizarre.

Second half we could have made more subs but Tommo and Fozzy made a big difference. Tommo because he moved about looking for the ball and played it quickly. Bird came to life with him at the side of him. Fozzy because he is far more assured in defence, Cashin immediately relaxed and he too had a better second half. Ward was much better than Wilson, not least because he can defend a bit, too! 

I could put up with slow centrebacks if they were doing their jobs but they aren't at the moment. And they aren't much of a threat from set pieces either, I don't think we got a head on any of those first half. Fozzy is also pretty slow, but his positioning and reading of the game is just so superior to Bradley's so far that his lack of pace isn't the same issue.

I would have liked to see Collins and Brown on at half time too, as Wash and Waggy were tiring and not able to take advantage of our increased momentum in the early part of the second half. As it was, we huffed and puffed but didn't create a lot. At least we looked more solid at the back. 

I didn't enjoy Warne's post match interview on Radio Derby. If he wants to throw players under the bus, then he'll need to take responsibility for finding some better ones. Even if we don't know for certain who they are, the players will and that might be the final push they need to decide to walk away. On his track record so far, I'm not sure what sort of quality we're going to get in to replace them. 

Disappointed. 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Second half we could have made more subs but Tommo and Fozzy made a big difference. Tommo because he moved about looking for the ball and played it quickly. Bird came to life with him at the side of him. Fozzy because he is far more assured in defence, Cashin immediately relaxed and he too had a better second half. Ward was much better than Wilson, not least because he can defend a bit, too! 

We also moved the ball out of defence so much quicker with Forsyth in there, and that played a big part in Bird coming to life.  He was getting the ball so much earlier, in so much more space, that he’s got time to turn and pick people out in front of him.

22 minutes ago, angieram said:

What an utter shambles that first half was tonight. I don't think it was so much lack of effort that did for us, but the system. 

Someone commented that Blackpool also play three at the back and made it look easy, but actually they had a five man defensive unit across the pitch and a solid midfield in front of them.

This isn't helped by our painfully slow build up play. It takes us an age to play out from the back because neither Nelson nor Bradley are comfortable on the ball. So the Blackpool defence was set, and coped easily with our balls in to two attackers who don't look match-fit.

Blackpool in contrast just got the ball forward quickly and because we were only playing three at the back -at best - often two as Nelson and Cashin are being encouraged to play forwards - we were caught flat-footed on numerous occasions and there could have been a few more goals against us than there were. 

Wilson plays so far forward that he might as well be a winger. Except Mendez-Laing is a much better winger, if we want someone to play that high. (I know he's injured tonight, but just making that general point.) 

Why was Hourihane on the left wing getting in Elder's way? The whole set-up was bizarre.

I could put up with slow centrebacks if they were doing their jobs but they aren't at the moment. And they aren't much of a threat from set pieces either, I don't think we got a head on any of those first half. Fozzy is also pretty slow, but his positioning and reading of the game is just so superior to Bradley's so far that his lack of pace isn't the same issue.

I would have liked to see Collins and Brown on at half time too, as Wash and Waggy were tiring and not able to take advantage of our increased momentum in the early part of the second half. As it was, we huffed and puffed but didn't create a lot. At least we looked more solid at the back. 

I didn't enjoy Warne's post match interview on Radio Derby. If he wants to throw players under the bus, then he'll need to take responsibility for finding some better ones. Even if we don't know for certain who they are, the players will and that might be the final push they need to decide to walk away. On his track record so far, I'm not sure what sort of quality we're going to get in to replace them. 

Disappointed. 

Thanks Angie. Good to get a view from someone fair and reasoned you know was actually there. Totally agree with your thoughts on interview. My concern is said players leave, Warne isnt around long term and then we have lost them

22 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

We also moved the ball out of defence so much quicker with Forsyth in there, and that played a big part in Bird coming to life.  He was getting the ball so much earlier, in so much more space, that he’s got time to turn and pick people out in front of him.

Bird was also better because he was sat deeper in a 2 with Tommo ahead of him and Smith. 

A big part of our problem today was in the first half, 2 or 3 of their players were round Bird as soon as he got it. When Ward was on, they put 2 on him to stop the crosses, giving the rest some space.

Also, Elder is a full back, not a wing back which means everything goes down the right and we become predictable.   

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Here is a question: how much impact do you think defensive mistakes have had on us so far this season? Personally, I believe we conceded at key moments against Wigan from catastrophic mistakes which massively impacted on our performances. Tonight wasn't good, again another defensive error. The senior professionals making these mistakes should be the one receiving the flack. 

I think they’re staggering and are cutting us off at the knee but I also don’t think the gaffer is blameless when so many individual errors are happening. These are experienced pros, they don’t turn bad overnight. 

I’m not in the Warne out group either by the way but I’m tired of seeing genuine concerns rubbished because those concerns come from people who are openly  against the idea of Warne as our gaffer. 

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yano to drop out of the playoffs you actually have to be in them in the first place.....remember that massive unbeaten run we went on when we were pushing for Automatic promotion?

Probably not as some folks appear to have selective memories on here and always regurgitate the negative outcomes to reinforce their own personal narratives. 

I haven't tried to defend the indefensible this evening but by Christ there's some people on here that I'm sure have a voodoo doll of Warne sitting at home. 

Aye we flat track bullied a bunch of drongos and got ourselves into good positions only to absolutely capitulate when we faced anyone in the top 8. I appreciated the rise into the play offs at the time despite voicing concerns (ie Ipswich away etc). I also recognised that under rosenior we were always superior in the xG stats so expected us to ‘regress to the mean’ and start turning draws into wins etc. 

I am not Warne out as mentioned above but we were absolutely dicked in our matches against those in the top 6 last year (compared to how the others above us faired). We found it easy to brush aside teams we were expected to beat but couldn’t buy a win against anyone we needed to beat to assert ourselves in the right part of the division. 

He’ll get time as you’d expect and hope but if you haven’t got concerns based on the last 10 months then I wish I had your outlook and optimism. 

His comments tonight only further worry me that this might be a job too big for him… 

2 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

Can’t count January. 

he needs this summer Jan and next summer. I’d overturn most of the players who were already here. I’d sell bird and cashin tbh and look at adding transfer fees next window. 

instrad of going down the old pensioner route I’d rather go down the route of 26 and under and give them a year to gel this season 

Season 9 Wtf GIF by Friends

why can't you count january? he signed players he chose.

you'd sell cashin and bird, but then want to go and buy some replacements that are under 26.  Why?

2 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Well do u count last seasons??

we couldnt pay fees to clubs, we couldnt pay fees to agents .. so that eliminates about 90% of the market and we started our shopping 2 weeks before the start of the season.. when everyone else had cleared the shelves of anything worth having

when other clubs were buying the players that they wanted we were marching through the streets of derby to save our clubs life!!!!

fk me people have got short or selective memories 🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦

warne wasn't there at the start of last season so obviously i don't count that.

he signed the loan players he wanted in january though

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Disappointed. 

This is why no holidays allowed in the summer stright into pre season.

Is this job too big for Warne?

Cracks starting to show in his interview.

We’ve bought two defenders specifically to play alongside Cashin in Warne’s preferred formation and it isn’t working (so far).

Ward seems to be the only successful newcomer but he has little to aim for in the box.

If we revert to 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 who’s going to play right back? Might Max Bardell be an option? Don’t think Ward is a good enough defender, but certainly worth his place further forward.

The midfield is an area which has needed improvement for some time and all we’ve done is lose Knight.

We have a team devoid of pace and with very few skilful players. The plan was to bolster the defence and score from set pieces, using Bradley and Nelson. Hmm.

I really hope PW can turn this around and yes, I’m very aware that it’s only August 9th but it’s really not looking good for him. I could see the cracks on Saturday and got told we were okay but it was the body language I didn’t like. We were told these new guys were winners, leaders.

I saw precious little to convince me.