v Blackpool (H) Match Thread

Ambitious

The unbeaten run until the end of the season starts here, boys & girls! 

With one of the smallest squad in football league history, it’s difficult to see too much rotation but would imagine the players in need of minutes all get a good run out and possibly even 90 minutes.

Team: Vickers, Nelson, Bradley, Cashin, Wilson, Robinson, Thompson, Hourihane, Elder, Waghorn, Washington. 

If Vickers does well then stands to reason that Wildsmith will be on the outside looking in for a while after yesterday. Elder is desperate for the minutes and the two strikers both have a chance to stake a claim to start against Burton. 

Edited by Ambitious

50 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The unbeaten run until the end of the season starts here, boys & girls! 

With one of the smallest squad in football league history, it’s difficult to see too much rotation but would imagine the players in need of minutes all get a good run out and possibly even 90 minutes.

Team: Vickers, Nelson, Bradley, Cashin, Wilson, Robinson, Thompson, Hourihane, Elder, Waghorn, Washington. 

If Vickers does well then stands to reason that Wildsmith will be on the outside looking in for a while after yesterday. Elder is desperate for the minutes and the two strikers both have a chance to stake a claim to start against Burton. 

Agree with the team, especially leaving the back 3 in place and changing the rest, though to do this completely I'd play Rooney and 'rest' Hourihane too.

53 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Got our tickets , but lots will agree with you. Normally we will get a running total on the crowd . Will we get 10,000 ? (Any injuries for Saturday will be annoying)

Less than 3,000 tickets sold for home fans, Blackpool have an allocation of 551.

I don't think Warne would do this but I would play a similar team to yesterday but with Elder & Washington. I thought there was a few moments where the team lacked chemistry which they'll only improve by playing more games together. Robinson on BBC Radio Derby thought the same, and didn't think they had enough pre-season games. They'll be times later in the season to rest players, especially against some of the cannon fodder near the bottom of our league/next round if we win Tuesday/other cup competitions.

I

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Vickers

Rooney   Bradley   Cashin

Wilson   Thompson   Bird   Elder

Waghorn   Washington

Collins

Subs: Wildsmith, Nelson, Forsyth, Ward, Hourihane, Mendez-Laing, DBrown

Like this, but think yesterday’s starting back 3 need games together. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

Yes, need to see what he’s got. Perfect stage. 

I’m not exactly expecting him to come in and tear up the league and start every game. But if he can come in and provide an option, his attributes are what this squad desperately needs. 

10 hours ago, Kernow said:

Hopefully Brown is on the bench and has the opportunity to get some minutes. I thought it was strange that we give him a professional contract and Warne talks highly of his role in the squad, then he doesn’t make the bench when the only other attacking option we had was Washington who isn’t fully fit.

I think if Brown was going to be included in a matchday squad as early as this then he would’ve been provided a squad number - think the pizza cup will be his opportunity if he’s doing well at u21 level. 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

I’m not exactly expecting him to come in and tear up the league and start every game. But if he can come in and provide an option, his attributes are what this squad desperately needs. 

You are right of course. The romantic in me wants to see a young striker with fire setting the game alight, ( he seems powerful and well built, so maybe, just maybe) he will be our missing piece. I know Life isn’t like that, but it’s always good when one of our own steps up to the squad proper. I just love to see the progression. .. let’s see how it goes. COYR

Vickers

Rooney       Bradley     Cashin

Wilson                  Robinson                  Elder

Thompson                    Bird

Brown              Washington 

Subs- Loach, Fozzy, Ward, Smith, Hourihane, Radcliffe, NML, Collins, Waghorn (assuming all is confirmed by then)

- 9 subs allowed in the cup I believe? Rooney and Thompson need to be playing games whenever they can so I want to see them starting basically every cup fixture if they aren’t starting in the league. Still allows Bradley and Cashin to gel as part of that back 3. Want to see Robinson and Brown at least getting a decent amount of minutes (20-30) if they don’t start, how are they going to prove themselves if we never give them the opportunity? Would like to see Brown play surrounded by first team level players, felt like most of his preseason minutes came towards the end of games when we were giving lots of young players minutes.

- Actually think this midfield might be better suited to the system than the one we saw on Saturday, obviously Robinson is an unknown quantity but there’s plenty of energy and legs and in Bird and Thompson you have a midfield pairing that played a good number of games together in the championship. I feel that Bird is better suited to the roles that Hourihane and Smith were playing on Saturday, where he can make interceptions and tackles, which for me are possibly his biggest strength, and have more time to pick his passes.

Vickers for Wildsmith 

Elder for Fozzy 

Robinson for Hourihane 

Washington for NML 

We have almost got to use the early season cup games like pre-season games, in the sense that their primary use will be to get some minutes into those that need them and build a solid spine to the team.

35 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Vickers for Wildsmith 

Elder for Fozzy 

Robinson for Hourihane 

Washington for NML 

We have almost got to use the early season cup games like pre-season games, in the sense that their primary use will be to get some minutes into those that need them and build a solid spine to the team.

I hope we use them to try and win a trophy.

Just popped into the ticket office to get one for me, the lad and Dad.

Wasn’t busy per se, but there was a steady stream of people…