Fozzys Big Day Derby vs Stoke

NottsRam77

5 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Oh interesting....Do they serve Cruzcampo? first tried it in Sevilla last year and liked it a lot. I have been looking for it ever since. 

Has recently come over and got some distribution deals. You’ll start to see it a bit more over here I’d imagine. 

2 hours ago, DiggerB said:

I was there. I thought Smith had a great first half. Harried and won the ball back, distributed it well and delivered the cross for Collo’s goal. So no, I don’t agree!

I somewhat agree  but the whole midfield doesn't look like its strong enough to control a game. hence the midfield played on the shoulders of the defence to keep a good Stoke side out, leaving a big gap to Collins. The only time we got out was through the wing backs. So i'm saying the midfield got pinned in most of the match. Which in the long run will be our downfall unless we strengthen

Watched it here in Spain with a cold drink on the terrace , really enjoyed it , we look like the signing s suggest so far , a team being built from the back on a solid foundation which I like , get the basics right first , then we also score 3 very solid goals , as I said the other day another striker and a sprinkle of flair and we are cooking , we look decent already, can’t wait for opening Saturday 

9 minutes ago, Archied said:

Watched it here in Spain with a cold drink on the terrace , really enjoyed it , we look like the signing s suggest so far , a team being built from the back on a solid foundation which I like , get the basics right first , then we also score 3 very solid goals , as I said the other day another striker and a sprinkle of flair and we are cooking , we look decent already, can’t wait for opening Saturday 

I was there today, and agree with u, first half the defence was solid, love the new centre backs, Nielson and Bradley, Ward is great going forward, Bird good, Smith worked his balls off and Collins and Mendez Lang both scored very good goals, also can not wait for the start of the season now. 

21 minutes ago, eddy779h34 said:

I somewhat agree  but the whole midfield doesn't look like its strong enough to control a game. hence the midfield played on the shoulders of the defence to keep a good Stoke side out, leaving a big gap to Collins. The only time we got out was through the wing backs. So i'm saying the midfield got pinned in most of the match. Which in the long run will be our downfall unless we strengthen

There was too big a gap to Collins on a few occasions but remember Stoke are supposed to be a league above us. They didn’t look it today. We more than matched them. I thought Hourihan and Bird looked controlled, there was no sidey backwards. Thommo, while he didn’t get a lot of ball, was harrying constantly in the attacking half. I’d love to see a heat map because my overriding impression of that game was Derby were at least as good as Stoke in every department, except the final ball and finishing.  3-0 speaks volumes about that ! Stoke did have a period where they were front foot and we dropped too deep for my liking. Their number 9 got in dangerous positions a few too many times .. but Sonny boy snuffed him out. So what exactly are you saying ? We lost the midfield ? We didn’t. It was a battle, it wasn’t a cake walk but we held our own and I think were strong enough. If we weren’t we wouldn’t have created chances. When they came at us we blocked, headed and saved with solid confidence. 3-0 flattering ? Maybe, but how many times have we said “if only we were more clinical” today we were and they weren’t ! 

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Oh interesting....Do they serve Cruzcampo? first tried it in Sevilla last year and liked it a lot. I have been looking for it ever since. 

I remember having an amazing Cruzcampo out of a frozen glass in Toledo in 40 odd degree heat.  When I tried it back in the UK it wasn't the same.  Some things are best kept as happy memories.

Like Chris Martin. 

Sorry.

1 hour ago, jono said:

There was too big a gap to Collins on a few occasions but remember Stoke are supposed to be a league above us. They didn’t look it today. We more than matched them. I thought Hourihan and Bird looked controlled, there was no sidey backwards. Thommo, while he didn’t get a lot of ball, was harrying constantly in the attacking half. I’d love to see a heat map because my overriding impression of that game was Derby were at least as good as Stoke in every department, except the final ball and finishing.  3-0 speaks volumes about that ! Stoke did have a period where they were front foot and we dropped too deep for my liking. Their number 9 got in dangerous positions a few too many times .. but Sonny boy snuffed him out. So what exactly are you saying ? We lost the midfield ? We didn’t. It was a battle, it wasn’t a cake walk but we held our own and I think were strong enough. If we weren’t we wouldn’t have created chances. When they came at us we blocked, headed and saved with solid confidence. 3-0 flattering ? Maybe, but how many times have we said “if only we were more clinical” today we were and they weren’t ! 

I think we will have to agree to disagree ... we did lose midfield , we did on numerous occasions fail to get out and gave it to the goalie to hoof it back to them on half way it was happening all game . the biggest culprit was Hourihane playing it back and sideways I would say they had 80% of the ball. if you all think that team in the first half will storm League One your all mad 

We missed Mcgoldrick and Knight haven't replaced them yet, but I do think we looked far stronger in defence than last season which is a positive 

1 hour ago, eddy779h34 said:

I think we will have to agree to disagree ... we did lose midfield , we did on numerous occasions fail to get out and gave it to the goalie to hoof it back to them on half way it was happening all game . the biggest culprit was Hourihane playing it back and sideways I would say they had 80% of the ball. if you all think that team in the first half will storm League One your all mad 

We missed Mcgoldrick and Knight haven't replaced them yet, but I do think we looked far stronger in defence than last season which is a positive 

But honestly, who really cares?  It’s a meaningless pre~season friendly, made more so by the introduction of ex-players. Another good run out for fitness, bit of confidence from beating a team a league above, few goals and a bit of fun for the fans as well.  Whether we were brilliant or terrible, it will have no bearing on the season. 

I’m surprised at some of the negative comments in this thread. We played well in spells, but (in my opinion ) I thought Stoke were very poor and I will be in a bottom six battle I think for the upcoming season. We sit too deep at times but we looked decent enough, reasonably good goals today i thought.

8 hours ago, DerbyAleMan said:

I was there today, and agree with u, first half the defence was solid, love the new centre backs, Nielson and Bradley, Ward is great going forward, Bird good, Smith worked his balls off and Collins and Mendez Lang both scored very good goals, also can not wait for the start of the season now. 

Cheers , you don’t quite get to see shape and movement as much on tv as you dou from the east stand but the little I got we looked solid 

9 hours ago, jono said:

Absolutely agree with this @jono. I know the question “3-0 flattering?” is a rhetorical one but absolutely not did it flatter us. We looked comfortable even when they gave both barrels 2nd half no doubt after an O’Neil tea cup smashing halftime talk. If this is Warneball bring it on I say. Sonny Bradley is a warrior. 

Not sure why some are being so critical. This is our 4th pre-season friendly - which to remind people is mainly about fitness, new teammates getting to know each other’ and starting to gel. The best quality opposition we have met so far yesterday (although again some highly critical of Stoke) and I saw an improvement in every aspect of our performance from previous games. 3 very good goals without McGoldrick!

Room for optimism, without getting carried away. We have still not seen much of Elder, nothing of our new striker, and Wilson, who obviously needs more match fitness, but again showed what he may bring to the table.

Brian Clough built from the back - just as we have done now. Bradley, Nelson have got better and better with each game - how many times have I sat and watched a colossus for other teams heading away every cross into the box. We have our own now in Bradley now. Fuzzy played very well too. Cash not quite there yet, but will be. A big reduction in defensive mistakes so far.

3 good goals yesterday against a Championship side - we looked a bit sharper up front. Despite his critics, Collins scored his third goal, all laid on a plate for him from right wing crosses.

Still some work to do in midfield but Smith had a good game yesterday ( his passing also much better than last year). Bird has looked very promising in his more advanced role too. Hourahan who looks as though he may be the new captain, had a quieter game but knitted things together well. Making him captain could be a clever move from Warne to keep him fully engaged. Can’t help but admire Liam Thompson’s enthusiasm and determination, he could be a valuable squad member.

The attack is our unknown element, but I am sure we will find sufficient quality to make us competitive and score some goals. Our crossing has been upgraded significantly with both Ward & Hourahan which should create some goals, particularly as we look far more threatening from dead ball situations.

So some promise yesterday and reasons to be optimistic, still 2 weeks until the first League game, time for injured players to make appearances, greater fitness and tactical awareness ( and for the signing of at least one striker!). Loan market still to be tapped once Premier League Team finalise their squads.

It might all fall apart next week against Premier League opposition, but provided we still see some improvements in areas, that will do for me, for now.

Come on you doubters, give the team a chance before you pronounce they are not good enough. Be realistic for heavens sake, we are building something, not yet the finished article. If you can’t see the grassroots of major improvement on last year, then maybe you need to watch more cricket.

4 hours ago, WystonRam said:

I’m surprised at some of the negative comments in this thread. We played well in spells, but (in my opinion ) I thought Stoke were very poor and I will be in a bottom six battle I think for the upcoming season. We sit too deep at times but we looked decent enough, reasonably good goals today i thought.

I don’t really care where Stoke finish next season but I wouldn’t necessarily take yesterday’s game (or any of their other preseason friendlies) as much of an indicator. I don’t think it’s especially uncommon for teams to have a poor preseason only to be OK when the real football starts (and vice versa).

But, back to Derby, I thought pretty much everyone put a decent shift in (yes, including Collins both inside the box and around the pitch). Wilson looked a bit rusty but that’s to be expected and, once again, Bird was very good.

IF, and it’s a big if as per my opening comments above, we can continue this into the proper season (there won’t be many teams we’ll surrender as much possession to as we did Stoke in the second half), we shouldn’t lose too many games. If we can find a way of not leaving Collins (plus a.n. Other) so isolated, we should ensure our defensive strength is supplemented with enough goals to turn draws into wins.

I’m really looking forward to the new season and hoping any optimism isn’t dented by a lack lustre performance against Wigan followed by our customary draw/defeat at Burton.