Fozzys Big Day Derby vs Stoke

NottsRam77

We looked good in periods of the game when moving the ball to feet quickly. We sometimes do lose the ball quickly with a pass of over 20 yards. NML has a habit of losing it in dangerous positions. Cost is a couple of goals last year. However, on a positive note, when we do find that ball into midfield and the player plays forward with a little composure, we look good. 
When these players gel, get some confidence playing in front of our fans, I think we’ll have a good season 🤞

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

You won't see many better passes this season than the one Bird made during the build up to the second goal.  The back heel for the third was nice as well.

I'm hoping he'll play to his potential this season and really begin to make a name for himself.  He's wasted in Lg1.

The opening 15 minutes was not a nice watch, and I had a sinking feeling that this is hat we are going to get with a squad chosen by Paul Warne. Silly me! Even so, we were only bettered by Stoke in the wrestling stakes, because we got penalised for it but they didn't. But we held our own while Stoke controlled the play. But then we scored and the game turned on its head for the rest of the half. Stoke came into it second half, maybe we sat back, but the introduction of Johnson for Stoke was significant. I was always impressed with him when he was at Preston, and is obviously liked by Alex Neil, although why I don't know because he plays  football, not the opponent!

At last we have a number of players on the pitch who can stand up and be counted, who will take responsibility, the most obvious being Sonny Bradley - he was colossal today, with Ward pretty useful as well. I also though Liam Thompson looked lively in the first half especially, so his loan spell has done him good.

3 good goals as well, with Bird playing some beautiful stuff for two of them. At last he is playing where he should have been playing for the last two years, instead of being put in a ball and chain as CDM. And our defence looked pretty effective as well, restricting Stoke to pretty much nothing in the first half, and 3 chances in total. Yes, they were good, clear chances, so it could have been 3 - 3, but they couldn't shoot so it wasn't. And as we saw today our problem will be wondering where the goals are going to  come from ............ oh wait!!!!!

Overall very satisfied against a team from the next division up. Dare I say that things are looking up?

56 minutes ago, eddy779h34 said:

Sonny Bradley looked class Ward was very good also..Bird again had a good game but he needs help  to allow him to play . Thats my view and I think anyone who saw the game would agree 

I would agree that from minutes 10 to 20  and 45 to 75 (when Daniel Johnson went off) they were the better team and missed some chances.

Your point about midfield lacking pace is valid and our back line has to push up another 10 yards, so the CMs aren't so stretched.  

However, you have to be happy with that overall. 

I would also add what an absolute knob their number 8 was. 

Edited by sage

Firstly, congratulations Fozzy. A very good servant who deserved his testimonial today.

On to the football, I thought we were pretty good in the first half. I really like the look of Ward. Another assist for him, and very good in all around play, looks a really good signing so far. Sonny Bradley was a domineering presence in the box. He came out and claimed every cross that Stoke put in our box, I was very impressed. 

I thought Curtis Nelson was pretty rusty at Chesterfield the other night, he looked a lot more comfortable on the ball today and won his battles. 

Kane Wilson looked to have a good surge of pace down the left when he came on and was generally quite bright and positive with the ball. 

Collins is having a good preseason, another really good header today and generally worked hard and put in a good shift. Special mention for Max Bird for a great assist for Mendez-Laing's goal as well as being the architect behind Collin's goal too. 

Finally, I thought Korey Smith was great today. Really put in a shift in the middle, great assist. I'll be glad to see him play in his natural position this year. 

22 minutes ago, maxjam said:

You won't see many better passes this season than the one Bird made during the build up to the second goal.  The back heel for the third was nice as well.

I'm hoping he'll play to his potential this season and really begin to make a name for himself.  He's wasted in Lg1.

Agreed, he looked mentally and physically sharp today. Definitely wasted in Lg1. We'll be fighting off suitors if he can consistently find that kind of form. 

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Post match interviews for anyone so inclined. In summary Warne does talk about the game, the tactics and player performances, no transfer talk, he does also talk some more about Fozzy;

@Srg some more Fozzy content for you 😘

31 minutes ago, MarsdenRam said:

Warne's Pittsburgh Pirates baseball cap in the post match interview seemed out of character.

Could he have been replaced by an MLB doppleganger? Could he have been brought back as part-cyborg - i.e. RoboWarne™?

It was AI……….

AI, AI, AI, Oh……..😁