Jordan Rhodes - gone to Blackpool

Topram

8 minutes ago, eddy779h34 said:

So there's no point in signing anyone, when they aren't any better than what we have, leave the money in the club. The signing of players in previous years who didn't make a difference and in many cases hardly played like Blackman for instance got the club in the mess of nearly going out of business 

I get the feeling on here any signing would be good choose who it was " just because we nearly went bust" We should know our place 

So I say we need to stop suggesting over the hill players and leave the squad alone , if thats where we are 

ORRRR....

We may not be able to sign players who could potentially be playing in the Championship and command a relatively sizeable fee...

But we may be able to add players who admittedly may be tipping into their twilight years - but who have performed at this level and above and will bolster the squad, provide different options and provide some confidence and know-how around the squad ...without breaking the bank.

Edited by Chester40

55 minutes ago, eddy779h34 said:

Can't understand the Rhodes link , he's pretty much finished , can't play a full game anymore. 

I thought Alfie May would of been a better shout and prob command less wages  , proven goal scorer at this time and level of his career but thats history now.

I know we have big restraints granted , but surely our projected income is vastly bigger than all of League 1 

and for some to think Waghorn is a good shout really !!

Alfie May went to Charlton for about a quarter of a million quid. 

If you've read Warnes recent comments then he said that size of fee would be all of his budget gone so like any good manager he's trying to optimise how it gets spent. 

You obviously have read this as quite correctly you've mentioned that Warne also said that there's no point in just getting bodies in for the sake of it unless they actually improve the squad. 

There's a separate thread on whether our budget is bigger this year than the previous year, I urge you to refer to it to save repetition and duplication of the same points. 

14 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

ORRRR....

We may not be able to sign players who could potentially be playing in the Championship and command a relatively sizeable fee...

But we may be able to add players who admittedly may be tipping into their twilight years - but who have performed at this level and above and will bolster the squad, provide different options and provide some confidence and know-how around the squad ...without breaking the bank.

No, No, No, No, No, No!

We can't simply do something as realistic as that. 

willy-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory-ve

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Alfie May went to Charlton for about a quarter of a million quid. 

If you've read Warnes recent comments then he said that size of fee would be all of his budget gone so like any good manager he's trying to optimise how it gets spent. 

You obviously have read this as quite correctly you've mentioned that Warne also said that there's no point in just getting bodies in for the sake of it unless they actually improve the squad. 

There's a separate thread on whether our budget is bigger this year than the previous year, I urge you to refer to it to save repetition and duplication of the same points. 

If £250k is our total budget spend, we really are set for League 1 for many years to come. All I'm saying, if we wasted wages on the likes of players like or similar to Rhodes and Waghorn it won't make a jot of difference to us getting out of this league , thats our budget spend over one season done , for what point 

19 minutes ago, eddy779h34 said:

If £250k is our total budget spend, we really are set for League 1 for many years to come. All I'm saying, if we wasted wages on the likes of players like or similar to Rhodes and Waghorn it won't make a jot of difference to us getting out of this league , thats our budget spend over one season done , for what point 

Alfie May wanted a move back to the London/South East area to be closer to his family. It was reported in the media and he said as much in his first interview with Charlton. Whether we did or didn’t bid for him it’s a moot point.
If we sign Rhodes or Waghorn, and they provide competition and depth to our forward line, they contribute to the squad off and on the pitch, they provide a rotation option for cup games, they score goals that help us achieve our targets, then it won’t be a waste of wages. They are competent footballers who have recently played at a higher level than our current third senior striker option of….checks notes….no one.

We fell short last season due to a lack of depth, we need a striker, in an ideal world would it be someone younger and with resale value? Yep. But it seems our situation as yet is still less than ideal, so signing an experienced pro to come in and do a job is not a “waste of wages” in my view.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

I’d rather sign Waggy than Alfie May 

Waghorn has played at a higher level and would be dropping down a level 

MW does know where the net is but more importantly I think the club and fans mean something to him and can play as a 10 and add competition up front 

A lot got carried away about some players who’ve only ever had a purple patch in L1 

Players like Rhodes and Waghorn will get 10 + goals each in L1 guaranteed I’d say and they won’t play every game but our defence looks more solid and I genuinely think our forwards will score more across the lot of them and will get us out of L1 and that’s all we want for step1 of rebuilding the club 

1 hour ago, eddy779h34 said:

£250k is not our total budget spend.  The point Warne was making was that if he is to pay a fee in that region when you add the wages, etc on top it eats into a bigger proportion of his budget than a free transfer.  By signing a free transfer he can make 2 or 3 signings for the same money.  £250k is part of his total budget.  He has to decide how manage it to get best value.

As @Tyler Durden has suggested, there’s a separate budget thread on the main forum.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

30 pages in...

Meh

It's a no from me.

High wages, end of career, not a team player, scored goals last decade. I would sooner gamble on a raw talent.

If we end up signing him I'll be very disappointed. If he scores the goals to win us the league, I'll have ice cream with my humble pie.

1 minute ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

£250k is not our total budget spend.  The point Warne was making was that if he is to pay a fee in that region when you add the wages, etc on top it eats into a bigger proportion of his budget than a free transfer.  By signing a free transfer he can make 2 or 3 signings for the same money.  £250k is part of his total budget.  He has to decide how manage it to get best value.

Plus if you blow a big lump of budget on one player who then goes and does his ACL or similar then you really do have a problem. 

If Warne wants Rhodes, then I'm happy if we sign him however the wages are a concern for a player who potentially is not much of, if any upgrade on what we already have. Might be better to use scarce resources elsewhere. Generally though our moves this summer have not been known about by the press beforehand so Warne probably has something else hidden up his sleeve. 

5 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

If we end up signing him I'll be very disappointed. If he scores the goals to win us the league, I'll have ice cream with my humble pie.

Now this is an interesting point worth debating…. I’ve always thought of humble pie as being savoury rather than sweet…am I weird? Or are you weird for wanting ice cream with savoury pie? 

3 hours ago, Donnyram said:

Should be an easy one to resolve….. example numbers only;

Rhodes on £8k per week salary 

Derby only able to pay £4k per week

Huddersfield pay Rhodes off at £4k per week saving £4k per week over the year 

Rhodes maintains £8k per week salary equivalent and has the chance to play football 

win win win 🤷‍♂️

Except the wage is believed to closer to £25-30k than £8k. 

13 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

You seriously believe Rhodes is on that level of salary - wow!

Four websites I've looked at have him on anything between £8k and £11k a week - where does your figure come from?

18 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Not a chance, Not with Huddersfield in the championship, after 4 poor seasons. I'd imagine nearer £10k a week 

26 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Now this is an interesting point worth debating…. I’ve always thought of humble pie as being savoury rather than sweet…am I weird? Or are you weird for wanting ice cream with savoury pie? 

Who's saying it's savoury! Ice cream with everything yo! That's my manifesto...