Twitching

i-Ram

13 hours ago, Jourdan said:

It’s only July 1st. We’ve been in pre-season for a few days. We’ve not even played a friendly.

We have made four signings, all of whom will strengthen the squad and give us more depth and flexibility and all of them have a good track record in this division and experience of the division above.

Knowing how quickly deals can come together, why would anyone be twitching?

We need to judge Warne and this squad with the fullness of time. We have to see how the team looks on the pitch and how it performs in relation to the rest of the division.

Warne is looking for a winning blend. It’s not necessarily always big names and big reputations that deliver the best teams. Last year’s champions Plymouth were not laden with star names, but what they did have was a group of players that bought into the manager’s vision and executed it on the pitch.

Let’s wait and see if Warne can assemble a group in a similar manner and let’s not let our assumptions hold us in a vice-like grip. We could be one of the best footballing sides in the division come August 5th.

Great and very sensible post mate. 

4 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Surely its preferable to reckless ? Whilst reckless may get us up… the consequences as we should really still all know (madness that we even have to be reminded quite frankly) are quite literally harrowing

All about balance.  

8 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Personally I would prefer your banning response. 

If it meant I didn't have to sit and read s**** topics started knee-jerk, armchair pundit bamfords like yourself, who think we should start spunking the dosh immediately after coming out of a 2 year embargo, just because we're Derby County, whilst displaying the kind of self entitlement you expect from the "the world famous" scroats from up the road, a ban might be a blessing in disguise...

Most of the twitching is probably borne out of McGoldrick leaving.  Personally, I’m not twitching and I’m pretty relaxed for a few reasons.

In DC’s interview he said he always goes about his business quietly and I think that’s been shown so far.  I like this approach and it’s a welcome change.  Just because there aren’t lots of rumours, press stories, etc doesn’t mean nothing is happening.  And I suspect a lot of the players we have been linked with we probably haven’t had a serious interest in.

PW has said it’s easy to get players to sign for Derby but he wants the right ones.  Again, a welcome change from when we seemed to sign anyone and everyone.  PW wants to have a team, rather than a bunch of footballers that he needs to work out what to do with them.

Our business so far is sensible in that it’s filled gaps.  The midfield, either in CM or ACM/SS role has already been strengthened by these signings.  Smith and Knight (if he’s still here) are free to play in CM.  Sibley is free to play as an ACM/SS.

I think a lot of the signings will be “underwhelming” but I don’t see that’s as a problem as it’s about the team.  We’ve gone from having MM’s personal real life panini sticker album and signing anyone and everyone at inflated prices to going about our business in a quiet, understated manner.  Dare I say, more professional.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

Not "twitching" at all... looking at the list of all L1 transfers so far, it's Derby, Oxford & Portsmouth who have done the most significant business so far.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/transfers/wettbewerb/GB3

Even Bolton, possibly our biggest threat this season, have only signed 4 players... of which 2 are goalkeepers (having lost star loanee Trafford from last season), a right back from Tranmere (having lost star loanee Bradley from last season) and Dan Nlundulu on a permanent (who was there last season).

Meditation Namaste GIF by Miguel

Edited by Carnero

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

If it meant I didn't have to sit and read s**** topics started knee-jerk, armchair pundit bamfords like yourself, who think we should start spunking the dosh immediately after coming out of a 2 year embargo, just because we're Derby County, whilst displaying the kind of self entitlement you expect from the "the world famous" scroats from up the road, a ban might be a blessing in disguise...

That’s better isn’t it. 

5 hours ago, Rample said:

Warne did well with Smith and Ladapo up front, Rotherham just lacked the muscle to keep them at the club.

Ladapo had a decent record and was bought in for a moderate fee (about £500k), and Smith was picked up from Bury where his stays weren't great.

I think PW is taking his time to get it right and land a player (or 2) he can use as first choice for the next 3 years. I'd guess he wants something or someone specific and we are waiting for Bielik/Knight money to hit the bank so he can grab that, rather than settling for a freebie who may be square peg/round hole or just not as good.

I have no doubt if he wanted the frees mentioned, apart from someone who has specific geographical issues or has significantly better offers, eg a Blackburn rather than a Gillingham, then we'd have them. We are favourites for promotion, have the biggest abd best facilities in the division and I'd imagine the ability to match or better any offer on the table.

Good post.

1 hour ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Most of the twitching is probably borne out of McGoldrick leaving.  Personally, I’m not twitching and I’m pretty relaxed for a few reasons.

In DC’s interview he said he always goes about his business quietly and I think that’s been shown so far.  I like this approach and it’s a welcome change.  Just because there aren’t lots of rumours, press stories, etc doesn’t mean nothing is happening.  And I suspect a lot of the players we have been linked with we probably haven’t had a serious interest in.

PW has said it’s easy to get players to sign for Derby but he wants the right ones.  Again, a welcome change from when we seemed to sign anyone and everyone.  PW wants to have a team, rather than a bunch of footballers that he needs to work out what to do with them.

Our business so far is sensible in that it’s filled gaps.  The midfield, either in CM or ACM/SS role has already been strengthened by these signings.  Smith and Knight (if he’s still here) are free to play in CM.  Sibley is free to play as an ACM/SS.

I think a lot of the signings will be “underwhelming” but I don’t see that’s as a problem as it’s about the team.  We’ve gone from having MM’s personal real life panini sticker album and signing anyone and everyone at inflated prices to going about our business in a quiet, understated manner.  Dare I say, more professional.

Another good post. I like the last sentence in particular. I think our only difference is our trust in Warne. Clowes and another manager could be doing exactly the same professional recruiting, and team building, but attracting a different, more exciting, type of forward player. I don’t think Warne’s methods appeal to too many ‘footballing’ strikers, nor hardly any higher league managers who want to give their starlets some playing experience.

20 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Not "twitching" at all... looking at the list of all L1 transfers so far, it's Derby, Oxford & Portsmouth who have done the most significant business so far.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/transfers/wettbewerb/GB3

Even Bolton, possibly our biggest threat this season, have only signed 4 players... of which 2 are goalkeepers (having lost star loanee Trafford from last season), a right back from Tranmere (having lost star loanee Bradley from last season) and Dan Nlundulu on a permanent (who was there last season).

Meditation Namaste GIF by Miguel

It must be Sunday morning. A few sensible posts in the last hour. I will chill a little give old Warney another week.

1 hour ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Agree with everything you say but we need to find twenty goals more than we scored last season without someone who scored 22.

That’s the twitchy bit. We’re not going to turn the current squad into goalscorers so we need some serious business done.

I’d rather we did that carefully though and if four good players come in within the next three weeks I’ll be delighted

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Just as a by the way:

Nobody is making you read any topic on this forum. You could consider removing yourself from this horror without getting someone doing it for you.

Armchain pundit Bamford. I have to take you to task here. I have no punditry skills whatsover.

You must point me to a post I have made where I have ever demanded or suggested we splash the cash. I must say I find spunking a rather vulgar term. Come back to me when you have found such a post.

Self entitlement. Give yourself a shake man. I have supported the Rams for 54 years, and I doubt I have ever felt entitled in any of those years, not even 1970 to 1976.

I look forward to engaging with you again when you are a tiny bit less agitated.

As long as we’re in a good position for the opening game, with a reasonably settled starting XI then it doesn’t matter too much. It sounds like we may get some clarity on Knight’s position this week and we know exactly what we have to play with and what we need going forward.

It would be nice to see us make a statement signing, to some degree (especially if Knight goes), I expect us to make somewhat of a ‘splash’ signing on a player who Warne really wants and likes, most likely in the forward position. We could do with some degree of known quality upfront heading into the season. I do feel that if we go into the season with players who we are ‘hopeful’ of and not sure of then it could cause a panic - a striker with a good record will settle the nerves a little. A modern day Steve Howard, if you will. 

We also need a bit more depth in forward positions, players who can come off the bench and make a difference - it’s important to note that these players are not going to be coming in on the back of 20-goal seasons and most likely players who need a little bit of coaching up and happy with their initial role in the team. 

My own slight and relatively infrequent twitching comes not from the business done so far but from the expectation levels that I have this year, which I didn't have last year. We know the standard now, we are well placed with the infrastructure of the club, a decent core of players already here, a relatively good budget and space to fill in the squad and a full preseason ahead of us. It's enjoyable from this stable base to savour the opportunity to create a squad of high quality and better balance at this level.  However, there is anxiety that we might screw it up, not take a great opportunity because that would be very frustrating and disappointing.

The 'league one king' is also something I wish had not been  voiced, (even though there's plenty of credibility for that title)just because it has the potential to make failure to feel worse. 

As many have said, it all ahead of us, let's see how we do. Ru Paul would put this more concisely...dont-f-it-up-rupaul-1.gif.4da7680e5bef1aed6b1f27d626edee11.gif

Edited by Andrew3000

I think as we haven't signed a forward yet we are probably looking at players who are under contract rather than ones who have been released.. or possibly loan players of higher calibre than Dobbin and Osula. That means paying fees, so we may be waiting for Jason Knight situation to be resolved. But until we do sign someone yes I will be twitchy, cant see Collins getting 50 goals this season. 

To all the Warne out brigade. Clowes gave him and his staff a 4 year contract and all the praise anyone could want. They are on the same page. Promotion is the aim. This season would be great but it's not a sackable offence if we don't get there next May.

Chop and change at the first hiccough is one of the reasons we got into the mess we were in. David Clowes will run a tight and steady ship. There will be no huge multi million signings. Partly because DC isn't going to sanction them and partly because we may only spend moderate fees which, to me, says £500K max. There's still a wage cap, I believe, but at a higher level than last season's £12K a week.

Those figures will make it harder for us to sign a proven striker. It will also see us having to be patient and might see us only getting the striker(s) we need in the 2nd half of August. I'd love to get them in this or next week but strikers hold the power and they know it. We have to be patient.

Predictions for the season? Not from me yet. The newbies look good on paper thus far but we won't be playing on paper. Will they gel quickly or even at all. Same goes for those players not yet signed. Fans will either like the look of them or they won't. Point is, until we've seen them play games, we won't have an idea of whether they are the business or not. Especially when you realise that we have no idea what formation PW will go for.

Keeper. The rules say you have to have one.

Defence. Will he play a back 3, 4 or 5?

Midfield. 2 DMs or just the 1? Will he go 3, 4 or 5 midfielders?

Up top. 1, 2 or 3

My guess is he'll go 3 at the back.

Midfield is more of a minefield. If he has the players to do it, I think he'll go for 3 lines of outfield players rather than 4. That would point to 343 or 352, IMO. If he does go 4 lines, I see that being 3421 with 2 #10s and a central striker.

Up top is dependent on the make up of the defence and midfield. Personally, I'm not a fan of the lone striker. Strikers hunt in pairs and occasionally in 3s. 

For me it will either be 343 or 352. The latter meaning we need a 2nd striker in pronto. A 3rd needed to unless we go 2 up top in which case we'd need a 4th.