Twitching

i-Ram

I really don't have a problem at all with the idea of not relying on a 25 goal a season striker and wanting more goals from around the team because otherwise with a small squad you are heavily reliant on that goal scorer not getting injured. The problem is that we seem to have balanced one side of the equation with the departure of McGoldrick but we seem just as unlikely to score goals from around the rest of the team as last year.

I understand that there is plenty of time yet (and it is just my assessment of the situation) but it seems that we are either wholly reliant on departures to fund these forward options or we simply have not been able to land our preferred targets (possibly caveated by a 'yet') due to competition from other clubs.

From what relatively little I know about them I'm OK with what we've signed so far, but are we better off overall than last year ? Not yet IMHO. I just can't see where the goals are coming from and McGoldrick's quality and touch is going to be sorely missed I reckon. If we wanted someone to just run around a lot and put a good shift in then we'd just play Collins. There is surely a reason why we and Warne decided that probably isn't going to work this year. We really need some cutting edge as well as the huff and puff.

58 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

On that basis you don't rate the 4 he has brought in then who presumably we weren't competing with any other clubs for?

Just because they signed for us doesn’t mean we weren’t competing with other clubs, including their previous club.  Presumably you think any player that signs for us is only wanted by us?

10 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

I really don't have a problem at all with the idea of not relying on a 25 goal a season striker and wanting more goals from around the team because otherwise with a small squad you are heavily reliant on that goal scorer not getting injured. The problem is that we seem to have balanced one side of the equation with the departure of McGoldrick but we seem just as unlikely to score goals from around the rest of the team as last year.

I understand that there is plenty of time yet (and it is just my assessment of the situation) but it seems that we are either wholly reliant on departures to fund these forward options or we simply have not been able to land our preferred targets (possibly caveated by a 'yet') due to competition from other clubs.

From what relatively little I know about them I'm OK with what we've signed so far, but are we better off overall than last year ? Not yet IMHO. I just can't see where the goals are coming from and McGoldrick's quality and touch is going to be sorely missed I reckon. If we wanted someone to just run around a lot and put a good shift in then we'd just play Collins. There is surely a reason why we and Warne decided that probably isn't going to work this year. We really need some cutting edge as well as the huff and puff.

This and Knight going is the reason no season can be a free hit or there can be such a thing as consolidation and rebuild.  

There is such a long time left in the market. The premier league kids will be doing pre season with the first team before being allowed on loan. This could be the year we can really utilise the loan market again. We need to stop worrying about signings although it is frustrating. 

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Exactly this.

He said signing a left back for example is easy against other clubs in this league because of their reluctance to blow their budget on a left back. 

Clubs in this league haven't got a big budget but they are more prepared to spend a big chunk of it on a striker because that's the most important area of the team.

So instantly you're competing with other clubs who are willing to offer just as much as we are. 

I'd still fancy our chances of signing a striker over anyone in this league. If we want them and are seriously in for them then I'd be very confident they would choose us. 

Totally agree 

Also found it interesting when he mentioned that “that one striker we want in is also being chased by several (or was it seven?) other clubs” 

Dont think that sounds like Washington to me…

If he wants him in before they go to Spain we could see an interesting one happen in the next few days 🤞

33 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Just because they signed for us doesn’t mean we weren’t competing with other clubs, including their previous club.  Presumably you think any player that signs for us is only wanted by us?

But YOU used the excuse of other clubs being interested in players as the reason why we hadn't signed a striker.  If other clubs were interested in 5he wingbacks, keeper and centre back how come those signings were able to be completed?

1 minute ago, Blondest Goat said:

But YOU used the excuse of other clubs being interested in players as the reason why we hadn't signed a striker.  If other clubs were interested in 5he wingbacks, keeper and centre back how come those signings were able to be completed?

I never said it was an excuse.  I said that I’d be disappointed if we were after players others weren’t looking at.  Doesn’t mean we won’t sign them, doesn’t mean we’re only signing players no-one else wants.  It’s a simple fact that players will have a number of options available to them.  Strikers, especially good ones, will have more options than most so naturally they’ll take longer to get sorted.  And strikers, and importantly their agents, know this too.  They also know that that’s the position clubs are most likely to push the boat out for and squeeze a few extra £/wk.  They’ll try and string clubs along for as long as possible to get the best deal for them and their clients.

There will be lots of players in this window, and any transfer window, that we win the battle for, and others we won’t.  In some positions we’ll get our first choice, in others we won’t for a number of reasons.

6 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

struggling to see how the manager would not be a factor.  Do you take a job without considering what your boss is like ?  

Ok slightly incorrect when u isolate it like that.. but not when in the context i related it to … ie football

the crooks is that football isnt like normal employment is it

if ur a tidy young player and have confidence in your own ability and say  millwall and derby are after you.

right now… millwall.. just missed out on the play offs to the promisee land

where are u going? Us ? And a battle to get out of the third tier potentially tying yourself to 1,2 or 3 years down there (aka a big wodge of ur career) or millwall and a shot of glory and a the riches that the prem brings? 

We know the answer 

forest had exactly the same problem, we’re no different

10 hours ago, jimbobram said:

There is such a long time left in the market. The premier league kids will be doing pre season with the first team before being allowed on loan. This could be the year we can really utilise the loan market again. We need to stop worrying about signings although it is frustrating. 

Yep, there’s always Tony Springett.