Twitching

i-Ram

Just now, i-Ram said:

Come on then, be truthful, who is worried that Warne is struggling to find or convince any decent strikers to sign for us for the coming season. Conor Washington they yell. Prosecution rests its case.

Not at all. There’s no guarantee that the Washington talk is legit. Rotherham have denied any contact whilst ITK trolls report a deal is done. 
we have seen that our best 2 signings so far (elder and ward) IMO were complete surprises. Hopefully the Washington talk is a smoke screen for a more popular striker 

10 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Maybe, maybe not. How certain are you that he is going to come up with anyone decent/proven in the next week or two?

Whether it’ll be someone I’m thrilled with at the point of signing or a couple of month into the season are different questions. 

Just now, Gisby said:

‘I think you do need to appreciate that many on an internet forum, me included, often post for reaction rather than necessarily having any serious conviction behind the point being made’

Very good Gisby. You are a true disciple. I am actually being more serious than reactionary tonight, as I do think that Warne is struggling to attract a decent forward. Holidays are over. Pre-season training has started, and James Collins is already blowing out of his arse.

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

Whether it’ll be someone I’m thrilled with at the point of signing or a couple of month into the season are different questions. 

Fair point, but you would like to think we might be being linked at this point with someone a little more thrilling than Conor Washington.  Can’t knock his signings so far. On paper they look sound L1 players who will give their everything. But wouldn’t it be nice to be more confident that we have someone in charge who might be able to pull an exciting rabbit or two out of the hat?

9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Fair point, but you would like to think we might be being linked at this point with someone a little more thrilling than Conor Washington.  Can’t knock his signings so far. On paper they look sound L1 players who will give their everything. But wouldn’t it be nice to be more confident that we have someone in charge who might be able to pull an exciting rabbit or two out of the hat?

Years gone by I might agree but the club are so tight lipped right now. Nothing gets picked up until it’s literally happening. It’s hard to say. Say we did sign Washington though, I’d wait to see the rest of the window first. 

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Genuine question: did any of Warne's Rotherham sides have high-scoring strikers? 

Not sure DFR7. They have never been my ideal watch.

My instincts are no though. I think Warne prefers hard working forward runners, and is happy with keeping it tight at the back, and winning from more set piece manoeuvres. It can be pretty effective, and fair play to him, he has 3 league 1 scalps to his name. But is it pretty? Is it a basis for development. I would argue not.

41 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Come on then, be truthful, who is worried that Warne is struggling to find or convince any decent strikers to sign for us for the coming season. Conor Washington they yell. Prosecution rests its case.

Just remind me when the window opened and when it closes.

IMO, Warne will get us out of this league this season.

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m pretty sure that in one of his recent interviews Warne said he was expecting five before their training camp in Spain with more later on.

Possibly looking to get fringe players on loan from Prem clubs?

I accept its early days, and @Srg is right to point out that our transfer business is now a tightly guarded secret, other than to @Big Trav . But the point I raised was how many Warne loyalists are beginning to feel twitchy. Has he the vision and desire to try to get someone into the club who is maverick and exciting, and/or does he have the rep to pull in any decent Prem League young starlets on loan? Are Conor Washington and James Collins actually the kind of players we are going to be relying on this season to entertain us?

3 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Just remind me when the window opened and when it closes.

IMO, Warne will get us out of this league this season.

IMO Warne should absolutely get us out of the league this season. That wasn’t my initial question though, and it hasn’t been the point I have been expanding on since that time.