Twitching

i-Ram

Clowes has said in his interview that we will have the biggest budget. With that comes a lot of expectation, from fans and also from the board. Clowes will not want to get stuck down here for another year, even if he didn’t expect promotion last season.

It’s an awful lot of expectation to rely on scrapping around for frees in positions like strikers where there really isn’t that much quality for nothing.

We could build a good enough squad with £0 outlay in transfer fees, except for the forward position in my opinion. Last years’ stats showed we actually played well enough and created enough to challenge for the top 2, we just couldn’t put chances away.

I think we will spend on a striker, but it’ll have to be one that Warne really wants. He doesn’t want to fail to get us promoted, but it’s even worse if he also fails while having the biggest budget.

Spending two or three weeks extra finding the best fit for us will be more worthwhile than rushing into something so they have a couple weeks longer in pre-season.

8 hours ago, Rample said:

Warne did well with Smith and Ladapo up front, Rotherham just lacked the muscle to keep them at the club.

Ladapo had a decent record and was bought in for a moderate fee (about £500k), and Smith was picked up from Bury where his stays weren't great.

I think PW is taking his time to get it right and land a player (or 2) he can use as first choice for the next 3 years. I'd guess he wants something or someone specific and we are waiting for Bielik/Knight money to hit the bank so he can grab that, rather than settling for a freebie who may be square peg/round hole or just not as good.

I have no doubt if he wanted the frees mentioned, apart from someone who has specific geographical issues or has significantly better offers, eg a Blackburn rather than a Gillingham, then we'd have them. We are favourites for promotion, have the biggest abd best facilities in the division and I'd imagine the ability to match or better any offer on the table.

Interstate points about Ladapo and Smith.  Ladapo had only had 1 good season for Plymouth before signing for Rotherham.  Up to then most of his goals had come at non-league level.  Smith had only scored 10 goals in something like 55 - 60 appearances in the 3 seasons prior to joining Rotherham.

Thats why I think that some signings might appear underwhelming, and maybe even up front.  I think he’ll look for a bit of a mix in his strikers.  He’ll look for someone who he thinks he and his staff can coach and get more out of.  He’ll also look for someone who can work well with and get a bit more out of Collins.  And someone who can bring the ACM/SS into attacking positions more as we’ll need them to chip in with their fair share of goals.

If Didzy had a fault I felt at times, particularly in the 2nd half of the season he looked for the chance himself a bit too often when others may have been better placed.  I think that led us to be a bit too focused on giving him the ball.  I think Warne will want all his attack and forward minded players to have a go a bit more often, rather than just look for the strikers.

3 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I don’t think Warne’s methods appeal to too many ‘footballing’ strikers, 

You don’t know !!! they don’t appeal to too many footballing strikers 

you just don’t like Warne!!! 

pathetic really ….try getting behind the manager and the team 

I think it's crucial Warne saves the budget as much as possible, because if we can be shrewd with our free transfers and build a side good enough to win the league or gain promotion without really using the budget, that will put us in a good position next year if we are in the championship in terms of having a decent pot to build with, and be sustainable.

Blow our budget too soon, don't get promoted, then you've taken 2 giant steps back. However, I do think if you are to get out of this league you need a good striker or 2 and they cost money. 

If we can get an Alfie May and a big horrible forward, I think that we will see us through in that department, but we definitely need to do business sooner rather than later imo just for tactical preparation more than anything.

🤞

I certainly wouldn't say that I am concerned yet or 'twitching' but I do think that we have a lot to do to be competitive at the sharp end of the table still. We've bought some players in and people can debate their individual merits but these are (finally) Warne's picks so lets see how they go. We also lost a lot of players since the close of last season though so we haven't really taken any great strides forward, just replaced some of what we lost and are seriously lacking the goalscoring department, some thing that was a bit of an issue last year in spite of McGoldrick's ourstanding efforts.

So yes, plenty to do still. I'd be very disappointed if there were not quite a few more incoming. The 21s also need a major rebuild.

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

You don’t know !!! they don’t appeal to too many footballing strikers 

you just don’t like Warne!!! 

pathetic really ….try getting behind the manager and the team 

Oh, and just for the record I don’t dislike Warne. He seems a genuine guy. I just don’t rate him. 

22 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

You mean to tell me that Derby have never announced a signing on a Sunday??

I just have a feeling, from memory of past announcements that's it's an exceptionally rare occurance for Derby to announce ANYTHING on a Sunday, unless there are exceptional circumstances at play.

Other clubs might do it more often.

Edited by Kokosnuss

5 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

I just have a feeling, from memory of past announcements that's it's an exceptionally rare occurance for Derby to announce ANYTHING on a Sunday, unless there are exceptional circumstances at play.

Other clubs might do it more often.

It would be exceptionally rare to buy Olosunde on a Sunday. 

Edited by i-Ram

Based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever, other than a nagging feeling all weekend I think we’ll see Clark-Harris in our new kit at MF by the end of the week*.

*waits to be inevitably shot down when he signs for a Champ club on Tuesday!!

To be fair - I also share the nagging feeling regarding Clarke Harris. I had originally Thought that the Bielik transfer might see this announced. Got that wrong. I’m assuming Knight will go so maybe that’s the hold up if we are indeed to sign him. 

Imagine Clarke Harris and Alfie May. Some statement of intent that would be. 
The new Goddard and Saunders 😂

Edited by norwichram

1 hour ago, DiggerB said:

Based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever, other than a nagging feeling all weekend I think we’ll see Clark-Harris in our new kit at MF by the end of the week*.

*waits to be inevitably shot down when he signs for a Champ club on Tuesday!!

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/peterborough-united-announce-somewhat-surprising-jonson-clarke-harris-news/

Think you'll be right on the champ club Tuesday unfortunately. Sure the £5m tag will be reduced with him having only a year left but still think he'll be out our budget.