Conor Washington - signed on a two-year-deal

Animal is a Ram

11 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

5D0C05A1-DD73-4FCC-AABB-91857CFDA6AC.jpeg

A2051F78-22C5-4C7B-AE8C-DB303DDFE022.gif

Haha. It's going off topic because I don't think many people are overenamoured with the idea of him signing. I mean... 6 goals in 37 appearances in all competitions last season is pretty dreadful for someone calling themselves a striker at any level! 🤣 Even James Collins had a better goals per game ratio than that!

Edited by Black ('n' White) Sheep

15 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Not sure what it is about collins. He can’t hold the ball up, he scores very little, he doesn’t seem to contribute much as an attacking player…however for some reason I still like him 

It’s because he’s a bit of a b******. But that’s his only real attribute. 

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But he's not even very good at that, even League 1 refs spot it and he gets into trouble. He's a PoundShop goal hanger is all really.

Interestingly, I think that's exactly what he isn't yet what we want him to be (minus the Poundshop bit).

He spends far too much time outside the box for him to be an effective goalscorer, given that when crosses are put in he's too often not in the right position to get on the end of it.

I'd prefer to ask him to stop bothering with anything outside the area, on the basis that he's not a great target man or that good at holding the ball up, and just make sure that when a cross comes in he's in the six yard box or in the right position to covert the chance. In essence, to goal hang.

11 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Interestingly, I think that's exactly what he isn't yet what we want him to be (minus the Poundshop bit).

He spends far too much time outside the box for him to be an effective goalscorer, given that when crosses are put in he's too often not in the right position to get on the end of it.

I'd prefer to ask him to stop bothering with anything outside the area, on the basis that he's not a great target man or that good at holding the ball up, and just make sure that when a cross comes in he's in the six yard box or in the right position to covert the chance. In essence, to goal hang.

I mean, yeah, or we could just sign 2 more strikers and have him be 3rd choice. 

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Spot on, he has shown he is a decent finisher, his goals vs Port Vale (i think it was) & Pompey at home showed he can be clinical. I dont recall him missing many 'sitters'

When this link first came about I wasn't too impressed due to only 43 goals in 224 league games since first stepping up from L1 in 2016. Thinking about it some more, I think he would be a decent 2nd choice CF. In League 1, he has averaged a goal contribution every 169 minutes. Even with his record in the Championship being 1 contribution every 341 minutes (still good enough as 3rd choice), his record over the past 10 years is still 1 every 205 minutes.

I'd be very content with Washington as our 2nd choice CF. I'd back him to get 12-15 contributions in less than 2000 minutes of football, which is what I'd expect from a 2nd choice.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

When this link first came about I wasn't too impressed due to only 43 goals in 224 league games since first stepping up from L1 in 2016. Thinking about it some more, I think he would be a decent 2nd choice CF. In League 1, he has averaged a goal contribution every 169 minutes. Even with his record in the Championship being 1 contribution every 341 minutes (still good enough as 3rd choice), his record over the past 10 years is still 1 every 205 minutes.

I'd be very content with Washington as our 2nd choice CF. I'd back him to get 12-15 contributions in less than 2000 minutes of football, which is what I'd expect from a 2nd choice.

Any danger of some analysis which isn't pure numbers?

I'd actually feel sorry for this bloke if he comes here.

Can never understand why players get written off before they've even kicked a ball with us. 

Hopefully the lad don't read too much on Twitter.

We've had signings before that have been exciting but ended up being massively underwhelming. (Butterfield, Johnson) off the top of my head.

Then equally we have had signings that have not been exciting and have gone on to be really good players for us. 

Like any signing we should just judge him when he's played for us.

1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I'd actually feel sorry for this bloke if he comes here.

Can never understand why players get written off before they've even kicked a ball with us. 

Hopefully the lad don't read too much on Twitter.

We've had signings before that have been exciting but ended up being massively underwhelming. (Butterfield, Johnson) off the top of my head.

Then equally we have had signings that have not been exciting and have gone on to be really good players for us. 

Like any signing we should just judge him when he's played for us.

Kids today play too much FIFA. Players are judged on the goals scored or how many tricks they can do.

Sometimes it isn't about their goals, it's how they contribut to a goal. 

I honestly think Washington will be very good if we sign him.