Conor Washington - signed on a two-year-deal

Animal is a Ram

The one thing we lacked last season was squad depth.

If we want squad depth we need to accept the the lads coming in to act as a back up are not going to be massive, statement signings. Sometimes you need some decent pro's in the squad to fill a gap and cover where needed. Capable of doing the job but not so expensive that they eat up huge chunks of the budget.

I really do not see a probelm with this transfer. Anyone getting upset about it at this point needs to give their head a wobble. If we start the season with Collins and Washington as our only strikers then fine, I'll be a bit miffed. But Warne has already stated that we have multiple targets, so lets just chill out and trust that the club know what they are doing.

The best numbers always come from strikers playing in the best teams also playing to their specific strengths . Occasionally someone breaks that rule. 

Look at any incoming striker , if they've played with a successful side (at whatever league level) this will be the case. 

We should trust our management team to select signings to fit our preferred playing model . 

This will make a refreshing change from the mad Mel years . 

Th 

With Mcgoldrick, we lost 20 goals, and realistically we need to score a few more on our 67 from last season as well if we want to be in the autos. As a result, realistically we need to bring in players who can add 35-40 goals to the team. Washington will make space and perhaps help Collins be more of a fox in the box than he was last season. If he also adds an additional 10 to the team I'd be okay with that if we bought in another 2 strikes to the club as well.

18 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Kids today play too much FIFA. Players are judged on the goals scored or how many tricks they can do.

Sometimes it isn't about their goals, it's how they contribut to a goal. 

I honestly think Washington will be very good if we sign him.

Exactly mate. 

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

With Mcgoldrick, we lost 20 goals, and realistically we need to score a few more on our 67 from last season as well if we want to be in the autos. As a result, realistically we need to bring in players who can add 35-40 goals to the team. Washington will make space and perhaps help Collins be more of a fox in the box than he was last season. If he also adds an additional 10 to the team I'd be okay with that if we bought in another 2 strikes to the club as well.

We also need much better goal contributions from elsewhere. Other than Collins, Hourihane and Mcgoldrick. I'd guess not one player got over 5 goals for us last season.

Barkhuizen has a purple patch for about 6 weeks but in the main was massively underwhelming. Infact he was the biggest disappointment signing wise for me in terms of what I expected to what we got. Looked scared to death half the time. Most of his goals came when we were coasting. He just seems to go through the motions. Not a player you want to bring on when you're losing to drag you out if the s**t.

Sorry I went off on a tangent there 🤣.

But we need midfielders to chip in with 5 minimum. Wingers need 7-10 goals minimum. Collins needs to be getting 10-15 next season (which I think he will do playing in a front 2) then the new strikers need to be 10 minimum.

We were so heavily reliant on Mcgoldrick last season 

2 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

We also need much better goal contributions from elsewhere. Other than Collins, Hourihane and Mcgoldrick. I'd guess not one player got over 5 goals for us last season.

Barkhuizen has a purple patch for about 6 weeks but in the main was massively underwhelming. Infact he was the biggest disappointment signing wise for me in terms of what I expected to what we got. Looked scared to death half the time. Most of his goals came when we were coasting. He just seems to go through the motions. Not a player you want to bring on when you're losing to drag you out if the s**t.

Sorry I went off on a tangent there 🤣.

But we need midfielders to chip in with 5 minimum. Wingers need 7-10 goals minimum. Collins needs to be getting 10-15 next season (which I think he will do playing in a front 2) then the new strikers need to be 10 minimum.

We were so heavily reliant on Mcgoldrick last season 

You missed NML.

Underlying problem was we were so heavily reliant on McGoldrick because Collins was so bad.

39 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I'd actually feel sorry for this bloke if he comes here.

Can never understand why players get written off before they've even kicked a ball with us. 

Hopefully the lad don't read too much on Twitter.

We've had signings before that have been exciting but ended up being massively underwhelming. (Butterfield, Johnson) off the top of my head.

Then equally we have had signings that have not been exciting and have gone on to be really good players for us. 

Like any signing we should just judge him when he's played for us.

I think he suffers from the same problem Mason Bennett did. People saw his record of 6 goals in 89 games for us and decided he was awful. His overall record for us was pretty good - 1 goal contribution every 233 minutes. What makes it even more impressive is he made 32 appearances by the age of 18.
Washington is similar, because whilst he has made 224 appearances in 10 years, he's averaged about 45 minutes per game. That 43 goals in 224 games is effectively 43 in 112 (2.6 games per goal).

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think he suffers from the same problem Mason Bennett did. People saw his record of 6 goals in 89 games for us and decided he was awful. His overall record for us was pretty good - 1 goal contribution every 233 minutes. What makes it even more impressive is he made 32 appearances by the age of 18.
Washington is similar, because whilst he has made 224 appearances in 10 years, he's averaged about 45 minutes per game. That 43 goals in 224 games is effectively 43 in 112 (2.6 games per goal).

That's odd then, why doesn't he get 90 minutes?

31 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

According to transfermarkt, appearances and goals in all competitions;

McGoldrick 45 apps 25 goals

Collins 52 apps 12 goals

Mendez-Laing 51 apps 8 goals

Hourihane 51 apps 7 goals

Sibley 52 apps 6 goals

Barkhuizen 48 apps 6 goals

Dobbin 54 apps 5 goals

Osula 21 apps 5 goals

Knight 47 apps 3 goals

Roberts 46 apps 2 goals

Bird 48 apps 2 goals

Cashin 52 apps 1 goal

Thompson 24 apps 1 goal

Clearly we need goals from new signings and better numbers from existing squad members. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

As has been pointed out by a few, I think Collins' tally was reduced because he wasn't in the right place. He was doing the running, dropping deeper to make the space. He'd also drag other players out of position, just by making a run. NML's goal vs. Barnsley was a clear example of this.

His finishing means I suspect he will bag a few more if the roles from last season are reversed. If Washington is the foil, doing the donkey work but still chip in with 10ish, then it's a worthy signing.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Kids today play too much FIFA. Players are judged on the goals scored or how many tricks they can do.

Sometimes it isn't about their goals, it's how they contribut to a goal. 

I honestly think Washington will be very good if we sign him.

Pretty certain that IF warne wants him and he signs then warne has a clear role for him in the TEAM , im happy to get behind warne and any player he brings and go on the adventure that is next season 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, Animal is a Ram said:

As has been pointed out by a few, I think Collins' tally was reduced because he wasn't in the right place. He was doing the running, dropping deeper to make the space. He'd also drag other players out of position, just by making a run. NML's goal vs. Barnsley was a clear example of this.

His finishing means I suspect he will bag a few more if the roles from last season are reversed. If Washington is the foil, doing the donkey work but still chip in with 10ish, then it's a worthy signing.

I’d argue he drops deep because he knows he’s not a natural finisher.

Gary Lineker and Robbie Fowler didn’t drop deep to graft because they knew where their strengths lay.

Collins is more of a team man. We need a finisher (or two).

We also need goals from midfield and I don’t think the current personnel offer that. Hourihane started well but as he got more tired, rarely found himself in the right areas.

24 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

According to transfermarkt, appearances and goals in all competitions;...

Dobbin 54 apps 5 goals

Osula 21 apps 5 goals

Knight 47 apps 3 goals

Roberts 46 apps 2 goals

Bird 48 apps 2 goals

Cashin 52 apps 1 goal

Thompson 24 apps 1 goal

Clearly we need goals from new signings and better numbers from existing squad members. 

Lots of 'oh I'd love Dobbin back' posts, I'd prefer to have Osula back.

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The one thing we lacked last season was squad depth.

If we want squad depth we need to accept the the lads coming in to act as a back up are not going to be massive, statement signings. Sometimes you need some decent pro's in the squad to fill a gap and cover where needed. Capable of doing the job but not so expensive that they eat up huge chunks of the budget.

I really do not see a probelm with this transfer. Anyone getting upset about it at this point needs to give their head a wobble. If we start the season with Collins and Washington as our only strikers then fine, I'll be a bit miffed. But Warne has already stated that we have multiple targets, so lets just chill out and trust that the club know what they are doing.

Plus a few goals and assists from defenders brought in , perhaps less conceded because we are building from the back with square pegs in square holes and the picture changes ,, yes scoring goals win games but also just scoring more than you let in wins you games 

If we'd already secured our main striker for next season the response to Washington would be different.

Until there's some tangible evidence of a player coming in who clearly improves our overall outlook, who we can trust to lead the line, to be our main scorer and act as a figurehead for our attack, then of course there will be those who'll be somewhat less-than-impressed when the players we are linked with don't fulfill that criteria no matter what they themselves bring to the team.

It's alright telling people to have patience, to trust that we have suitable targets in mind and that it will all fall into place etc, but we've been here before, with that 'final piece of the jigsaw' more often than not eluding us.

We're not looking to build a team to hover around the middle of the table for most of the season, seeing slow and steady progress and maybe hoping to sneak into the playoffs, we're looking to build a team that hits the ground running and at the very least looks to have secured a play-off spot with a few weeks of the season remaining.

Just because there's still a long, long way to go before the window closes it doesn't mean that people won't get fidgety, rightly or wrongly.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I'd actually feel sorry for this bloke if he comes here.

Can never understand why players get written off before they've even kicked a ball with us. 

Hopefully the lad don't read too much on Twitter.

We've had signings before that have been exciting but ended up being massively underwhelming. (Butterfield, Johnson) off the top of my head.

Then equally we have had signings that have not been exciting and have gone on to be really good players for us. 

Like any signing we should just judge him when he's played for us.

Nice to see you mop up your likes; must make you feel very pleased you are such a virtuous soul.

Below, find your first post when we bought Kaz.

Don’t choke on your pomposity. 

IMG_0637.png

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lots of 'oh I'd love Dobbin back' posts, I'd prefer to have Osula back.

Osula’s goal return does look good in that list having 5 in only 21 games. Perhaps he would be a good option to bring back, depending which truth people believe about him going back to Sheff in Jan (was he recalled or was he sent).

On the point of Dobbin, not sure if that’s aimed at me or general posts. To reiterate my own view, I wouldn’t object to Dobbin being re-signed if he fits how we’re going to play this year, which I suspect he won’t and therefore those who dislike Dobbin need not fret.