Conor Washington - signed on a two-year-deal

Animal is a Ram

16 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Osula’s goal return does look good in that list having 5 in only 21 games.

...until you remember that 3 of them were over 2 games against Torquay, the team then rock bottom of the National League who ended up being relegated to the 6th tier.

He only scored in 3 of his 21 appearances, with his only league goals being a brace against Accrington (also relegated at the end of the season)

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 minute ago, Kokosnuss said:

...until you remember that 3 of them were over 2 games against Torquay, the team then rock bottom of the National League who ended up being relegated to the 6th tier.

I had that in the back of my mind but didn’t want to dig into it too much as I think the post I responded to was as much about dismissing Dobbin as it was about praising Osula. 
I do think had he stayed with us for the season he’d have played a part and maybe got into double figures. I liked some of what he offered and he’d have been something different to Collins when needed.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

According to transfermarkt, appearances and goals in all competitions;

McGoldrick 45 apps 25 goals

Collins 52 apps 12 goals

Mendez-Laing 51 apps 8 goals

Hourihane 51 apps 7 goals

Sibley 52 apps 6 goals

Barkhuizen 48 apps 6 goals

Dobbin 54 apps 5 goals

Osula 21 apps 5 goals

Knight 47 apps 3 goals

Roberts 46 apps 2 goals

Bird 48 apps 2 goals

Cashin 52 apps 1 goal

Thompson 24 apps 1 goal

Clearly we need goals from new signings and better numbers from existing squad members. 

Best 11 from last season based on minutes per goal contribution in that actual position:

Wildsmith (0)

Knight (1064)   Davies (698)   Roberts (286)   Barkhuizen (160)

Mendez-Laing (180)   Hourihane (233)   Sibley (310)   Dobbin (209)

McGoldrick (98)  Osula (118)

In a full 46 game season. Remarkably, that works out as 101 goals in the season (201 contributions). The deadly front 2 of McGoldrick and Osula would have a combined 77 goals and assists, and Roberts would have 14/15 from CB 🙃 This would Match Ipswich's seasonal total.

Using only those currently contracted to us and the record last season, we end up with just 65 goals (130 contributions)

Wildsmith (0)

Nelson (2278)   Cashin (2214)   Forsyth (3494)

Ward (239)   Hourihane (233)   Bird (448)   Barkhuizen (160)

Mendez-Laing (180)   Sibley (310)

Collins (227)

Full list here:

image.thumb.png.80036c5569d2b9105d4ca42edbf3eeb1.png

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Best 11 from last season based on minutes per goal contribution in that actual position:

Wildsmith (0)

Knight (1064)   Davies (698)   Roberts (286)   Barkhuizen (160)

Mendez-Laing (180)   Hourihane (233)   Sibley (310)   Dobbin (209)

McGoldrick (98)  Osula (118)

In a full 46 game season. Remarkably, that works out as 101 goals in the season (201 contributions). The deadly front 2 of McGoldrick and Osula would have a combined 77 goals and assists, and Roberts would have 14/15 from CB 🙃 This would Match Ipswich's seasonal total.

Using only those currently contracted to us and the record last season, we end up with just 65 goals (130 contributions)

Wildsmith (0)

Nelson (2278)   Cashin (2214)   Forsyth (3494)

Ward (239)   Hourihane (233)   Bird (448)   Barkhuizen (160)

Mendez-Laing (180)   Sibley (310)

Collins (227)

Full list here:

image.thumb.png.80036c5569d2b9105d4ca42edbf3eeb1.png

And this is where stats without context is a problem. Osula scored goals in cup games against lower league opposition (including non-league opposition). This is not representative of a League One season whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

He only scored in 3 of his 21 appearances, with his only league goals being a brace against Accrington (also relegated at the end of the season)

I still think he looked a better bet at scoring goals and should have started more games.

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

So one might even say that he's a flat track bully ?

Kate Mckinnon Flirting GIF by Saturday Night Live

28 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I still think he looked a better bet at scoring goals and should have started more games.

Perhaps. He did show signs of being a good, instinctive finisher who struck the ball confidently when he had an opportunity.

There were a couple of big problems though, namely not using his physical attributes to his advantage and a reliance on being played in behind defences with space to run into.

Opposition teams quickly figured out that you could pretty much nullify him by either sticking a man on him, or setting your defence a few yards deeper.  Ask Osula to beat a man one on one and he'll rarely be successful in getting past that player, deny him space to run into and he'll just run into dead ends and give the ball away.

I'd go so far as to say he was like Dobbin in reverse.

Both things he could feasibly have improved on with more game time, but I suspect that really he needs a full season starting games at a League Two level rather than being a bit=part player in League One.

Edited by Kokosnuss

IF he signs, I’ll be alright with the signing and will give him a fair crack of the whip  When he was playing at this level with Peterborough, he was as seen as a multi-million pound player to QPR.

Put him in the right system and he will make a fair few fans on here eat humble pie.

And I believe Collins will work well with him, as I do believe he is an excellent finisher, but wasn’t played in the right way, hence his criticism.  Get someone to act as his grafting foil and we might see a different player.

2 hours ago, maydrakin said:

And I believe Collins will work well with him, as I do believe he is an excellent finisher, but wasn’t played in the right way, hence his criticism.  Get someone to act as his grafting foil and we might see a different player.

Collins had countless chances at 9 with McGoldrick at 10, though.