Summer Rumour Mill

sage

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don’t want to put a damper on things but I can see us starting the season with a better squad, but weaker first XI, than the one that ended the season.

Fortunately this season looks weak with the relegated teams in a mess and Barnsley potentially having their manager poached.

It depends on the recruitment, obviously, but I'd be disappointed if the team is any weaker - ok, you lose Knight who is a good player. However, between the sales of him and Bielik, you free up roughly £2m per annum in wages and roughly £2.5-3m in transfer funds. £5m reinvested in the right areas can make a massive, massive difference. The loan market alone is a completely different proposition to us this season - we can pay loan fees so hopefully we take advantage of that better this season. 

We have to wait and see who we manage to bring in - however, this is the first test for Warne, Mark Thomas, etc. we need to be able to see that they're capable of being smart in the transfer market. If they struggle to put it together with the biggest budget at this level then what chance do they have at recruiting at the next level? Especially as we will have to be so much smarter and work so much harder than other sides to become competitive in that regard. 

11 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It depends on the recruitment, obviously, but I'd be disappointed if the team is any weaker - ok, you lose Knight who is a good player. However, between the sales of him and Bielik, you free up roughly £2m per annum in wages and roughly £2.5-3m in transfer funds. £5m reinvested in the right areas can make a massive, massive difference. The loan market alone is a completely different proposition to us this season - we can pay loan fees so hopefully we take advantage of that better this season. 

We have to wait and see who we manage to bring in - however, this is the first test for Warne, Mark Thomas, etc. we need to be able to see that they're capable of being smart in the transfer market. If they struggle to put it together with the biggest budget at this level then what chance do they have at recruiting at the next level? Especially as we will have to be so much smarter and work so much harder than other sides to become competitive in that regard. 

Are we really freeing up Transfer money from a Bielik sale if we still owe this money to Arsenal?

To me, all we are doing is taking the wages off the books.

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

Are we really freeing up Transfer money from a Bielik sale if we still owe this money to Arsenal?

Good point, but I’d imagine that any future funds owed would have been accounted for at time of takeover as there’s no guarantee of selling him or anyone to cover those costs 

5 minutes ago, rammieib said:

It depends on what the situation was after exiting admin - we know all footballing debts need to be paid in order to exit the administration process. Now, I would also assume that doesn't mean paid out upfront, it could also come in the form of a payment plan agreed with the new owner and the owed club (Arsenal). I'm not sure though.

30 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Yeah probably. But you'd imagine that the wages freed up from his departure will pay for 2 players wages at this level 

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

I would say we are freeing transfer money with a Bielik sale, the money owed to Arsenal will be part of the accounts & financial plan.

So say for example we have it in the plan we owe Arsenal £3m. Whether we get £0 or £1m for Bielik £3m of our plan will be allocated to Arsenal.

So whatever we receive for him would be additional money.

If we are -£3m then received £1m that means we are -£2m but we had budgeted to be -£3m so in theory have that £1m fee to spend.

Edited by DCFC1388

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

I’d be surprised if there is money left to be owed for Bielik to be honest. When coming out of admin one of the priorities is all football creditors are paid off. If things went through properly then the fees owed to any club for the likes of Bielik and Jozwiak should have been included in the price Clowes paid a year ago.

6 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I’d be surprised if there is money left to be owed for Bielik to be honest. When coming out of admin one of the priorities is all football creditors are paid off. If things went through properly then the fees owed to any club for the likes of Bielik and Jozwiak should have been included in the price Clowes paid a year ago.

The Bielik fee wasn't paid off. As is normal, we honoured the original payment schedule. The 'price' Clowes paid would have included this amount.

27 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The Bielik fee wasn't paid off. As is normal, we honoured the original payment schedule. The 'price' Clowes paid would have included this amount.

How long has it got left on it do you know/think?

On 19/06/2023 at 20:50, ramit said:

Gylfi Sigurðsson is without a club.  Charge was dismissed but has not played football for two years.  Has had offers from Qatar and that area, his boyhood local club even trying their luck, but no decision so far.  He has kept in shape, or so goes the word. 

Maybe Derby would be a draw for him, a good club in a competitive league, low wages to what he's used to but playing football again.

Gylfi7d00w.jpg

Seems he’s moving to the States and joining Wayne Rooney’s DC United…

Heart Attack Close Call GIF by reactionseditor

On 21/06/2023 at 19:10, Brailsford Ram said:

There's a lot on here being said by posters who never make a contribution or show an interest in the Academy Forum on here. The regular posters on there show an interest, watch the games and what they have to say about the academy is far more informed than what is being said on this thread. Unless you know a bit about what is happening in the academy stick to the first team or alternatively start watching the academy sides a bit more before giving the rest of us your 'informed' opinions. The academy is regarded as an asset and the recent appointments in terms of recruitment and management indicate it will continue to be regarded as such by the ownership.

It was due to the input of a lot of academy players who were thrown in at the deep end that our club was not relegated on the pitch but because of the administrative failures of the Morris regime. The academy has never let us down.

maybe. Or maybe it’s precisely the opposite: the fans who get swept up in the nubile bright-eyed promise of some at our academy lose all objectivity and judgement when assessing how good these youngsters actually are. As demonstrated by some of the lala land posts above 

4 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Think Washington will come in, sounds close to being done. Warne wanted 5 in before Pre-season which I've read starts on Thursday. The most interesting thing at the moment is weather Max Bird stays or not. Hull and Coventry want him apparently.

Interesting 🧐 

1 hour ago, Big Trav said:

Think Washington will come in, sounds close to being done

Not saying you're wrong, but if it was close I don't think he'd be starting pre-season training at Rotherham today.

Screenshot_20230626-141206.thumb.png.9a1f717a2938041bf144393e167edca9.png