Summer Rumour Mill

sage

32 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Hope not - those who think we can replace his goals might want to watch a few of them again. 

Not to mention that if we do replace him up front, he’d be a dream playing behind the front line, spraying the ball around like a frisbee, then scoring the odd screamer from 40 yards 

it’s a romantic idea, the twilight of your career at ‘your’ club. Hopefully he’s negotiating tho’ . Also hope that Warne’s careless comments about him along the way haven’t pi$$ed him off 

Which 'careless' comments are these? Maybe Jeff Stelling prompted him into making some?

14 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Ipswich spent loads of money. That's how they got out.

Yeah just checked 

Plymouth £300k + 4-5 loan fees for mumba, Cosgrove, Whittaker , azziz + three frees 

Ipswich £2.1 m on Leif Davis + Harness + camara + possibly fee for  broadhead + loan fees for Hirst and John - Jules + 4-5 frees 

18 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Which 'careless' comments are these? Maybe Jeff Stelling prompted him into making some?

such as ‘40% of the time he’s frustrating’, or ‘is he injured, Owen, I don’t know...’.    Fair enough you might stay, he didn’t pick Didzy so why should they get on. But managers need to be careful what they say about players in public and Warne is sometimes not.  It’s a bit too much all about him and his hats. 

That said, he’s told us he’ll only recruit players if the personal chemistry with him is  right. So in time you’d expect a group that will be as tight as (reportedly) the Rotherham group was.

Didzy is - in div 1 - a star. I don’t think stars fit very easily into Warne’s World - and that’ likely to be a glass ceiling on his potential as a manager 

2 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

such as ‘40% of the time he’s frustrating’, or ‘is he injured, Owen, I don’t know...’.    Fair enough you might stay, he didn’t pick Didzy so why should they get on. But managers need to be careful what they say about players in public and Warne is sometimes not.  It’s a bit too much all about him and his hats. 

That said, he’s told us he’ll only recruit players if the personal chemistry with him is  right. So in time you’d expect a group that will be as tight as (reportedly) the Rotherham group was.

Didzy is - in div 1 - a star. I don’t think stars fit very easily into Warne’s World - and that’ likely to be a glass ceiling on his potential as a manager 

How on earth do you know?

Warne knows these players, he works with them almost daily. More than you or I ever will. Maybe, just maybe, and hear me out here... he might have an idea of the type of things to say which could motivate a player that he knows.

Obviously, you maybe completely right, but 20 odd goals says the complete opposite.

9 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

A quick search online will also provide plenty of positive, constructive quotes from Warne about McGoldrick. Your personal views on Warne may be valid but don’t try and colour every scenario against the bloke, he’s not the first to wear a hat inside and he’s not solely said negative things about McGoldrick. In fact, here’s a recent ish article on the subject which apart from the odd Warne-ism seems to be a reasonably balanced take on the contract situation;

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65336807.amp

Also, he didn’t “sign” Didzy, but he did pick him, and persist with him which resulted in his most prolific season. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

Rumours seen thus far by me...

Darnell Fisher. Boro CH. All and sundry linked us with him in January. Warne said he wasn't interested.

Pompey CH Clark Robertson aged 29. PW knows him from his time at Rotherham. Pompey skipper but only 23 games this season. Injured?

Luton CH Sonny Bradley, 32. Just 19 games this season...

19 year old midfielder from Rangers, Charlie Lindsay, who managed 12 goals in their B team. I know nothing of the lad but he is said to be generating "interest" with Derby and others.

Of the 4, young Charlie might be worth a punt but that's about it IMO.

29 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Yeah just checked 

Plymouth £300k + 4-5 loan fees for mumba, Cosgrove, Whittaker , azziz + three frees 

Ipswich £2.1 m on Leif Davis + Harness + camara + possibly fee for  broadhead + loan fees for Hirst and John - Jules + 4-5 frees 

Broadhead was 1.5m I think. Clarke another 1m as well.

No doubt McKenna is a decent coach but Ipswich’s budget was pretty much unprecedented for this level and not going up would’ve been criminal. 

23 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Broadhead was 1.5m I think. Clarke another 1m as well.

No doubt McKenna is a decent coach but Ipswich’s budget was pretty much unprecedented for this level and not going up would’ve been criminal. 

The wage bill was over £16m last season, it would’ve probably been closer to £20m this season since they didn’t really lose anyone of value. They have a wage bill that dwarfs a lot of championship clubs, including the likes of Luton and Coventry who are top 6 championship clubs, so it’s not surprising. 

44 minutes ago, Srg said:

How on earth do you know?

Warne knows these players, he works with them almost daily. More than you or I ever will. Maybe, just maybe, and hear me out here... he might have an idea of the type of things to say which could motivate a player that he knows.

Obviously, you maybe completely right, but 20 odd goals says the complete opposite.

Spot on. I happened to have interviewed Warne a few times when I worked in the Apprenticeship sector, when he was still Rotherham manager and he was doing various higher level courses on Leadership & Management and Psychology etc. He is big in to his psychology, motivation and leadership techniques and is a very intelligent man and I am 100% confident that everything he says to his players and to the media etc. is said for a reason and because he understands his players as people and knows how to make them tick. I know most managers should have this skillset but I know for a fact that he is particularly interested in it and it is a major strength of his. I don't think anything is said carelessly or by chance.

5 hours ago, Ambitious said:

The wage bill was over £16m last season, it would’ve probably been closer to £20m this season since they didn’t really lose anyone of value. They have a wage bill that dwarfs a lot of championship clubs, including the likes of Luton and Coventry who are top 6 championship clubs, so it’s not surprising. 

If the top league 1 teams have income of around £8 million from tickets and tv , that means it could cost around £10 mill to get out of this league. Would David Clowes put his dads family business at risk by making it up out of his own pocket?  Even if he was allowed. It could be a longer stay in Lg1 than we think.

On 17/05/2023 at 09:55, Andicis said:

Ipswich spent loads of money. That's how they got out.

Maybe they've spent a bit by league 1 standards, but its hardly loads of money. They've not spent much at all on any season they've been down here and i wouldn't have thought our transfer business will be much different now that some of the restrictions have been lifted

5 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Maybe they've spent a bit by league 1 standards, but its hardly loads of money. They've not spent much at all on any season they've been down here and i wouldn't have thought our transfer business will be much different now that some of the restrictions have been lifted

Are they competing with Man City? What's their income?

Edited by RoyMac5

5 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Why would we compare it to any other league? They've spent loads at league one. End. That's the only relevant point. 

44 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Why would we compare it to any other league? They've spent loads at league one. End. That's the only relevant point. 

43 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yeah, don't understand his point at all. His first sentence immediately discredits everything else he says after that. 

Sorry - did you forget what you said?

Let me refresh your memory - you said Ipswich spent loads of money. They didn't and now you're upset because you were wrong i take it? Spending less than £2 million in a season is not "loads of money". End. Only relevant point. 

Not sure why you've got so upset about it, but its not beyond the realms of possibility that we will do the exact same thing.

54 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Are they competing with Man City? What's their income?

No idea what your point is here, but Ipswich are one of the biggest teams in League 1, as we are. They are going to be able to spend more than the likes of Burton, but that doesnt mean they have "spent loads of money"