Sheffield Wednesday (A) Sun 7th May, 12:00 KO

I accepted there was a high possibility of league 1 after Feb 1st and I don’t really mind it’ll be the case next year. Also if we had deserved that play off spot we had more than ample opportunities to secure it before today. It’s where our squad was at the end of the day, too many players over 30 and under 23 and Warne remarked about it on the first day he stepped in to Pride Park.

What stings is the nature of the loss today. An attacking player takes an easy way out with minimal. contact, through on goal and should never ever be rewarded for it. It was a gift, not just to Wednesday who could game manage and far less than 100% and a gift to Peterborough

Not complaining about where we are. It’s just the nature of how it happened.

Well what can I say ... firstly I am a donut and thought the game kicked off at 3pm so missed it! Have read through all the comments and was interested to see the penalty, geez it is never a penalty, the guy went down like he was shot, Cashin was covering and the guy didnt have the ball at his feet.... what a con job! Anyway this isn't the point, we didn't miss the play offs today; we didn't make it due to our inability to be streetwise to the shthouse tactics by other teams (soft penos, time wasting etc), not converting numerous chances and by not getting a 2nd striker in January (not through want of trying).

Anyway guys & gals it has been an up & down ride this season, overall I have had more enjoyment than not & I am looking forward to next year, hope you will all join me again here.

All the best. COYR 🙂

The season was a mirror of most games within it. We looked good for the first two thirds, and coughed it up in the final third. Entirely predictable with too many tired legs, not enough athleticism or pace. The home game against Fleetwood was the big killer. Why Warne changed the formation and line up after that 19 game unbeaten run I will never know. A return to Bird and Hourihane in the middle which doesn’t work, Knight on the wing, Forsyth on the right of a three man defence, Smith and Barks dropped. All very strange.

Ultimately we couldn’t find the goals when we needed them. Next season won’t be any easier with the embargo still in place.

53 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I really don't mean to be rude but why don't you piss off and find a hobby that brings you some enjoyment?

lovely

personal insults

i have had a season ticket my entire life and love nothing more than derby county. i am hurting because we shouldnt be in this division and only are because of financial mismanagement from an absolute moron.

WHO WHEN was critisised in the past on here people were often INSULTED and TOLD TO PISS OFF when questions were asked of mel.

so i ask you out of respect that we are all derby fans and not insult each other for having a differing opinion to you.

17 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Sums it up Kevin. Our failure this season was due to the games against MK Dons Fleetwood, Shrewsbury, Lincoln and so on. And I really would have expected us to get at least a win or two from the top 14 away from home. 
Warne’s one thing on his Cv is he’s got 3 promotions out of League one. It was a very big ask to get into autos this year especially ally given the form of the top 3. But to not even get into the playoffs is a failure from Warne of epic proportions

Like all season the problem lied with scoring goals apart from McGoldrick and a few from Collins. Most others couldn't finish there dinners let alone football matches. 

The only players I would be gutted to lose would be cashin, Wildsmith and McGoldrick and hopefully getting Roberts on a permanent which says a lot really. 

The team gave it everything they could today but ultimately we all know this season whereabouts we’ve not been good enough.

We should have secured a play off position ahead of today but we didn’t, and everything that could have gone against us today did. Just as a couple of years ago when we needed everything to go for us to stay up and it did. That’s football for you.

No argument with the penalty, though thought it could be a yellow, not red. But the quality up top, when we really needed it, wasn’t there and that’s been the story of the season.

We started the season from a massive disadvantage so well done, good effort, and we’ll give it another go next season. 

3 minutes ago, alram said:

lovely

personal insults

i have had a season ticket my entire life and love nothing more than derby county. i am hurting because we shouldnt be in this division and only are because of financial mismanagement from an absolute moron.

WHO WHEN was critisised in the past on here people were often INSULTED and TOLD TO PISS OFF when questions were asked of mel.

so i ask you out of respect that we are all derby fans and not insult each other for having a differing opinion to you.

Your entire life? Really?

You clearly take more pleasure in us losing than winning. 

Whatever floats your boat though.

Quite appropriate really that at the death our season has been decided by poor officiating (and that’s not to mention Barnsley should’ve had 2 penalties against Peterborough). We can go back to many big moments, Barnsley, Plymouth (twice), Ipswich, Peterborough, Ipswich, Port Vale (H), today, poor decisions at critical points in games, there have been lots of others, it doesn’t even itself out. But hey it’s a game of stats to some people!!! 

I know we’ve heard it all before but we didn’t start recruiting until 1 week after preseason started, we only had 5 players, we have the smallest squad in the league, a mix of predominantly kids starting their careers and over 30s. No different options to change things when it’s not happening for us, can’t really rotate, January window made impossible with restrictions we’re under. This is why we didn’t quite have enough against better teams in the league away from home, this is why we didn’t win games we should have done against MK and Portsmouth, this is why ultimately we’ve fallen short. Had we got in the playoffs we have match winners, we would’ve had a chance, think Wednesday will be very glad they are not playing us next week!! 

Thought we were excellent today and had we kept 11 on the pitch and not gone behind to that ridiculous decision we’d have got the job done. Can’t fault any of the players or Warne for how he approached the game. Lots of positive performances, im gutted for Curtis, it’s devastating for his career at Derby to potentially end like that. Unfortunately though he’s made that exact same mistake on a few occasions now and cost us goals. 

It’s a real tough one to take today. But credit to the players and Warne and his staff for putting us in the situation to fight for playoffs on the last day. Derby and Warne HAVE NOT FAILED this season, I’d say this season is about par, next season is a different ball game. Despite our restrictions a whole preseason and recruitment prior to preseason with a settled management, promotion is the minimum requirement next season.

What a shame! In the end we weren't quite good enough to  get in the play-offs, and deep down many of us have thought that all season long. But that doesn't stop us having hope, and the players have done stupendously well to get this far. It is the old adage (well, a season long adage) that we only had 5 players on the books last August. But in reality we have cost ourselves the chance for promotion this season because we haven't been clinical enough in front of goal. But in part that is because it is night on impossible to attract strikers when all you can offer is a packet of crisps and two slices of lightly buttered bread. Although losing Odura was a blow - he might have been the difference, but I don't think he was handled properly, and instead of being given a run in the side in his best position, h was used as a bit part player. And he wasn't the only one - another one was subbed at the earlest opportunity again, today, when he was doing all right. Why is it always him who has to leave the pitch early?

There have been some baffling selection and tactical decisions which have cost us as well, but in some ways all this is understandable, especially with a manager brought in part way into the season with someone else's team and no room to change that. WArney had a tough job, and the lad done ok, I reckon.

It actually is feasible to have been in the play-off positions securely a coupe of weeks ago if only we hadn't thrown matches away one way or another. But then we get to my pet subject, the match officials. Soooooo many matches have been decided by crass decision making and/or incompetence, and we ought to have put ourselves into a position where those c***-ups don't cost us the points. But we shouldn't have to try and overcome them before they have happened, either. If only half the penalty decisions against us. at both ends of the pitch, had gone the right way, we wouldn't have ended up in this position. And while we are on about it, how come the ref gave a penalty against us for virtually no physical contact at all, but did absolutely nothing when Forsyth was physically man-handled to the ground in their penalty area later on in the game? On the odd occasion I could accept that it was just the rb of the green, but when it has happened match after match after match, and only a tiny number of dubious decision have been in our favour, maybe I sould be forgiven for thinking that there are other factors being brought to bear.

So on to next season - will we get any flexibility from the EFL regarding the business plan we have had to operate under, given that we are considerably further forwards in our finances than we were planned to be? LET's hope this is the case so we have a bit more room to bring the players in that we need. I'm not holding my breath though!

Finally - thanks to the players for giving of their best, even though it wasn't quite enough. And thanks especially to the fans - you/we have been fantastic yet again, all season long. Long may it continue!

I'll be there next season, and much to your chagrin I'm not going away from this wonderful bunch of contributors on dcfcfans!

3 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

What a shame! In the end we weren't quite good enough to  get in the play-offs, and deep down many of us have thought that all season long. But that doesn't stop us having hope, and the players have done stupendously well to get this far. It is the old adage (well, a season long adage) that we only had 5 players on the books last August. But in reality we have cost ourselves the chance for promotion this season because we haven't been clinical enough in front of goal. But in part that is because it is night on impossible to attract strikers when all you can offer is a packet of crisps and two slices of lightly buttered bread. Although losing Odura was a blow - he might have been the difference, but I don't think he was handled properly, and instead of being given a run in the side in his best position, h was used as a bit part player. And he wasn't the only one - another one was subbed at the earlest opportunity again, today, when he was doing all right. Why is it always him who has to leave the pitch early?

There have been some baffling selection and tactical decisions which have cost us as well, but in some ways all this is understandable, especially with a manager brought in part way into the season with someone else's team and no room to change that. WArney had a tough job, and the lad done ok, I reckon.

It actually is feasible to have been in the play-off positions securely a coupe of weeks ago if only we hadn't thrown matches away one way or another. But then we get to my pet subject, the match officials. Soooooo many matches have been decided by crass decision making and/or incompetence, and we ought to have put ourselves into a position where those c***-ups don't cost us the points. But we shouldn't have to try and overcome them before they have happened, either. If only half the penalty decisions against us. at both ends of the pitch, had gone the right way, we wouldn't have ended up in this position. And while we are on about it, how come the ref gave a penalty against us for virtually no physical contact at all, but did absolutely nothing when Forsyth was physically man-handled to the ground in their penalty area later on in the game? On the odd occasion I could accept that it was just the rb of the green, but when it has happened match after match after match, and only a tiny number of dubious decision have been in our favour, maybe I sould be forgiven for thinking that there are other factors being brought to bear.

So on to next season - will we get any flexibility from the EFL regarding the business plan we have had to operate under, given that we are considerably further forwards in our finances than we were planned to be? LET's hope this is the case so we have a bit more room to bring the players in that we need. I'm not holding my breath though!

Finally - thanks to the players for giving of their best, even though it wasn't quite enough. And thanks especially to the fans - you/we have been fantastic yet again, all season long. Long may it continue!

I'll be there next season, and much to your chagrin I'm not going away from this wonderful bunch of contributors on dcfcfans!

Don’t think you meant Odura that we lost, the striker from Sheffield Utd 🤔

Gutted to miss out. Could/should have wrapped up play-offs prior to this game, Curtis made a horrible error with the back pass but I couldn't believe the pen was given for an obvious dive (it was....irrespective of any slight contact) and was then astonished by the red card. I don't think anyone on the pitch, in the crowd or watching on telly would have batted an eye-lid if a yellow had been dished out for the dive.

Genuine questions for those on ref watch........I don't know the answer.

How many pens have we been awarded this season?

How many of those were 'soft' i.e. shouldn't have been given?

How many 'defo' pens should we have had that weren't given?

How many pens have we conceded this season?

How many 'defo' pens should the opposition have had that weren't given?

As a one-eyed, biased fan I think I know what my gut is telling me but I'd be interested in the objective facts.

7 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Gutted to miss out. Could/should have wrapped up play-offs prior to this game, Curtis made a horrible error with the back pass but I couldn't believe the pen was given for an obvious dive (it was....irrespective of any slight contact) and was then astonished by the red card. I don't think anyone on the pitch, in the crowd or watching on telly would have batted an eye-lid if a yellow had been dished out for the dive.

Genuine questions for those on ref watch........I don't know the answer.

How many pens have we been awarded this season?

How many 'defo' pens should we have had that weren't given?

How many pens have we conceded this season?

How many 'defo' pens should the opposition have had that weren't given?

As a one-eyed, biased fan I think I know what my gut is telling me but I'd be interested in the objective facts.

I think someone did trawl through all the match reports fairly recently and suggested that we have been robbed of probably around 10 or 12 points. If so, we would have been contending for automatic promotion, instead of clinging on to the play-offs by our finger nails.