Sheffield Wednesday (A) Sun 7th May, 12:00 KO

Predictably annoying end to the season with the ridiculous penalty and sending off.  But I'm of the opinion that we would've found a way to lose that game even without those decisions.  There is just something about the character of this team that makes us snatch draws and defeats from the jaws of victory.  It's happened so many times this season that you can't just put it down to bad luck.

Walleye owl … what a distinct lack of class. 
you have clearly not listened to the lessons life teaches - I hope you can turn your life around so that you actually begin to start contributing to the world in which I co exist.

sort it mother fudger, good boy.

47 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I criticise everything because under Mel everything was worthy of criticism. As the end showed.

Right, I'm off to re-read the Thorne transfer thread and look for when you say don't sign him, he's bound to suffer more injuries and not play much for us.

13 hours ago, nottingram said:

We have had an alarming drop off since February. 

I think this counts against Warne quite a bit. He seemed to take a lot of time to understand the squad and how to get the best out of them. Then he seemed to crack it. And then we went backwards. 

Yes we have a small squad and yes there were a couple of disruptive injuries. But it has been quite a dramatic slide that he hasn't been able to check. 

I agree he needs to be given time to build the squad he wants, and he has got a lot of stuff right. But falling away like that was disappointing, to say the least. 

Edited by vonwright

All and sundry from fans (incl a Wendy mate of mine) to retires refs to pundits all say no penalty so no red.

Not seen comment anywhere on this incident on 87 minutes and 19 seconds. The Wendy player has hold of Fozzy's shirt with both hands. Fozzy's shirt is halfway up his back. The ref is looking straight at it. Gave nothing but 2 seconds later penalised Fozzy because, when he got back up, the Wendy fell over. To me, this is far more of a penalty than the one they were given. Travesty. Also the guy holding Foz isn't even looking at the ball. Another defender has hold of Dobbin and is also not interested in the ball...

Wendy Penalty.png

Edited by MadAmster

10 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

All and sundry from fans (incl a Wendy mate of mine) to retires refs to pundits all say no penalty so no red.

Not seen comment anywhere on this incident on 87 minutes and 19 seconds. The Wendy player has hold of Fozzy's shirt with both hands. Fozzy's shirt is halfway up his back. The ref is looking straight at it. Gave nothing but 2 seconds later penalised Fozzy because, when he got back up, the Wendy fell over. To me, this is far more of a penalty than the one they were given. Travesty. Also the guy holding Foz isn't even looking at the ball. Another defender has hold of Dobbin and is also not interested in the ball...

Wendy Penalty.png

Yes. That ref was crooked. I said before the game when asked how we’d get on, well, that’s up to the ref, isn’t it? 

2 hours ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

I doubt very much that is the case, given the continuing restrictions we will be under. What a nonsense comment.

Stupid comment. Of course, he will be under more pressure next season, having brought in his own players. Even with a business plan, we will have a bigger budget than half of L1

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

The only thing possibly in Wildsmith’s defence is that the Wednesday player was very close and he may have thought if he went in too aggressively he’d give a penalty away himself. 

Based on the penalty Barnsley should have had yesterday it would have been fine.  

I also think we're too nice.  Bannan got Davies sent off yesterday with his constant ref bothering and cost us a place.  In injury time and a minute on the clock, if it's my teammate he's done that too, he's not playing in any playoffs.

Warne didn’t help by taking off Hourihane and Knight and bringing White on. 
So for that vital free kick on 91 minutes, instead of Hourihane’s wand of a left foot, we have White kicking it directly out of play. 
Unforgivable. And not just that, in our hour of need Warne dispensed with the player with the most assists and replaced him with someone else’s player. 

6 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Haven’t read through this thread since 11.30 yesterday. My two penneth, for what worth, is that we played well, deserved something - at least the point - but were let down yesterday by our 3 players of the season:

1) Mendez Laing looked shot. I think I could have done more with the ball than he did, and I am 61.

2) McGoldrick’s miss just before half time was shocking. He tried to be cute, with a worldy chip, but he just needed to put his boot through it a yard either side of Dawson.

3) Wildsmith lacked bravery or nous with that Davies pass back.  He should have been putting his boot through that ball. It was a poor pass back yes, but it was at worst a 50 50 for Wildsmith and he could have done so much better.

Not a Warne fan, but didn’t think he did too much wrong yesterday. Davies was unlucky to be penalised for his pull back, and the dismissal was a terrible way to end his playing career at the club.

I still think this season has been a failure. We should have got in the top 6, and looking at Wednesday yesterday, if we had we could have had a stab at Wembley.

Ahh well. It’s only football, not life and death. Up the Rams!

Certainly agree with your general drift. But very harsh on McGoldrick - he’s scored beautiful goals all season (‘it’s what he does’) and was 6 inches away from another with that effort. And Wildsmith did nothing wrong imo - the goal was all on Curtis 

On 07/05/2023 at 12:57, BrudeRAM said:

Why have we pulled Sibley off? We need a goal? 

Went back through the key moment in the thread for the first time, and can't believe there wasn't more discussion around this first substitution. Warne made two terrible substitutions in the game. We needed a goal, but even before getting in at half-time and regrouping, he took off one of his likely scorers/creators in Sibley. Absolute madness. If he needed Smith on it had to be Bird off. I can't fathom his thought processes.

Then, late in the game, Harvey White was brought on when he had no right to be on the pitch and was absolute garbage. What has he done to earn that opportunity? This "set piece expert's" sole contribution was to squander two freekicks in good positions. Play the people who work for the club and have a stake in the match. 

Then, I cannot believe the people on here claiming it was a penalty. Seriously? On first viewing it was an obvious dive. You all need to take a long hard look at yourselves. Why would anyone be so eager to justify the referee making a clear and obvious error in the biggest match of his sorry life? To give a penalty the referee should always be sure, but here he was guessing, as he couldn't have seen a foul because there wasn't one. To give a penalty in a game of this magnitude, which could be worth so many millions of pounds, he had to be really, really, really sure. He cannot have been.  Sadly, we all know there will be no sanction.

Very hard to know where we go from here in terms of next season. We lost out on the playoffs because we've been seriously done over by incompetent refs all season (no it doesn't even out), because of our profligacy and carelessness in front of goal, and stupid losses of concentration at the back. Whoever we manage to cobble together to form a team next campaign, with all the restrictions, they have to have it drilled into them that every single game is important, from first to last and in between. Here we see Wednesday only making the playoffs with 96 points. If we're to go up in 2024 we need to start brilliantly and continue brilliantly. 

2 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Wendy Penalty.png

I tell you what got my goat about that incident is how Fozzy and others didn’t go surrounding the referee. He just gently enquired to the ref. Just sums our soft underbelly up this season.

We’ve got to be a lot smarter in the dark arts of league one next season. 

12 minutes ago, Diego said:

I tell you what got my goat about that incident is how Fozzy and others didn’t go surrounding the referee. He just gently enquired to the ref. Just sums our soft underbelly up this season.

We’ve got to be a lot smarter in the dark arts of league one next season. 

What difference would surrounding the referee have made, he had made his decision. Only thing that might have changed is more bookings for us.

11 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

What difference would surrounding the referee have made, he had made his decision. Only thing that might have changed is more bookings for us.

Seen it many a times against us this season. It’s actually astounding how the refs in L1 cave in to it.