Sheffield Wednesday (A) Sun 7th May, 12:00 KO

On 04/05/2023 at 15:59, glyn1957 said:

I think a better idea if just 2000 home and away for both sets of supporters maybe just make it all home fans only 

On 04/05/2023 at 16:01, walkleyowl said:

You can't. 

Hey, that’s a bit unnecessary.

Oh, can’t. As you were.

4 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

I ref at a low level (senior county) but work with refs at a higher level and it's hard enough, getting things spot on every time at the speed of something like the Championship or L1 is impossible. That's why I always supported the introduction of VAR (yes, I know, but it's not the technology that's the problem). 

Atwell is a funny one. No Derby fan will forgive him for Miles Addison while no fans of other teams will forget the "ghost" goals. Yet if we can count on one hand the terrible mistakes, we'd need a lot more fingers to count the perfectly decent games he's had. He's actually a decent referee who has also benefited in a sector where there isn't a huge amount of competition. As humans, we all make mistakes at work and get things wrong, we don't expect to be sacked for the first or even second one. 

The standard of refereeing in L1 has been a disappointment, so much so that when we get a good ref it makes headlines on here. And you may be perfectly right when you say the odd ref might want to stick two fingers up and be the centre of attention by awarding a controversial for the decision just for the sake of it.

But broadly I'd prefer to think that in the heat of the moment and in the speed of the game (which may not seem so in the stands but is lightning fast on the pitch) they give it as they see it (rightly or wrongly) as opposed to being deliberately provocative by giving incorrect decisions. And because they're not a great standard (part time, not as much training as professional refs) yet we still hold them to the same account through the use of TV and slo-mo to professional PL and Champ refs, poor decisions are magnified.

I think the bigger clubs make more noise because for them a) it's more important to them and b) they are used to better at a higher level.

I suspect that some of the conspirational claims on here are from “home fan” bias, some will be frustration at poor refereeing standards, but some will undoubtably be as a result of the EFL’s “interactions with Derby re the amortisation processes, when there was a noticeable loading of decisions against us. It might also be fuelled by some refs making bad decisions and then apologising for it, as if that makes everything all right.

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Best way to clamp down on time wasting - as they did in the World Cup - is to add proper extra time. But that’s not the ref’s responsibility 

Not sure that solves it as the extra time is eaten up by time wasting , if a player is down and needs treatment then he’s off for 5 mins ,, end of 

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Best way to clamp down on time wasting - as they did in the World Cup - is to add proper extra time. But that’s not the ref’s responsibility 

It's not just time wasting. 

Players going down injured isn't time wasting, as it gers added on. What it does is breaks momentum both in terns of play and atmosphere.

It also allows reorganisation, rest and refreshment.

Time wasting is taking too long at throw ins and goal kicks etc.

6 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

I suspect that some of the conspirational claims on here are from “home fan” bias, some will be frustration at poor refereeing standards, but some will undoubtably be as a result of the EFL’s “interactions with Derby re the amortisation processes, when there was a noticeable loading of decisions against us. It might also be fuelled by some refs making bad decisions and then apologising for it, as if that makes everything all right.

I think you’re right. The EFL treated us unfairly last season and I for one am happy enough to keep reminding them of it; I know others on here aren’t. Our relationship as a club is much much better with the EFL but I won’t easily forget their part in it all. 

As I said, some of the decisions have been really poor - Plymouth away, Port Vale at home - but I’ve always though it’s just wrong decisions in the heat of the moment rather than anything else. Still think Bristol Rovers was 50/50 so wouldn’t go down as a terrible decision, despite Warner’s comments.

10 hours ago, Chellaston Ram said:

I accept referees make mistakes as we  all only human but my gripe is not clamping down on blatant time wasting in 

Absolutely, that’s been the scourge of this season. The last 10 mins then 6 of added at Portsmouth, the ball must have been in play for around three minutes. 

Unfortunately, that’s on the players/coaches. The referee can’t ignore a seemingly injured player, even if it’s a bit obvious they’re not injured. They have to stop the game when the ball goes out of play and assess. They have no choice. (Stopping it in open play for a non head injury seems to have crept back in, which is annoying).

The only thing they can, and should be much tougher on, is adding time on and sticking to it, even if that means playing til 5.15. But that’s a problem across all football, not just our league.  

11 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

If it’s 0-0 with 10 mins to go on Sunday, I will be expecting Wildsmith to drop like a stone every time he gets his hands on the ball. The Wendies fans can Boo all they want.

49 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

If it’s 0-0 with 10 mins to go on Sunday, I will be expecting Wildsmith to drop like a stone every time he gets his hands on the ball. The Wendies fans can Boo all they want.

As long as it doesn't come back to bite us on the backside and Wednesday score in the last minute leaving us no time to get an equaliser.

It's a dangerous game to play unless results are going our way meaning conceding a late goal will still see us through.

It is a long shot of course, but I reckon that Sheffield Wednesday would relish playing Posh in a two legged play-off. If they had to play Derby it would mean them playing Derby three times in just a few days. I think they will want to slay them at the first attempt and put one over their local rivals.

confused-what.gif

20 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Tbh I know it’s ridiculous but give a goalkeeper a straight Red for time wasting they’d soon speed up 

Doesn’t even need to be a straight red, just book them each time they do it.  Far too often refs give a single yellow, then seem to decide that they’ve solved the problem, and just let it carry on anyway.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/under-normal-circumstances-derby-county-fan-pundit-outlines-paul-warne-play-off-concern/

Derby fan pundit Shaun Woodward is concerned that Warne's influence is tempered by the fact he's not had long enough to build a squad.

He told FLW: “I think under normal circumstances it would be huge to have someone like Paul Warne guiding us into the play-offs and through the play-offs because he is used to doing so well at Rotherham.

“However, I think this year I don’t think it really makes much of a difference because this isn't his team as such, he hasn't got the players and the characters that he would probably want if I'm honest through the whole squad. So, I think at the moment yes it helps the players knowing that they've got a manager that's been there and done it, but a lot of these players are really experienced anyway, and they probably don't need a manager to kind of help them perform on the day, maybe some of the younger players will look at him to guide them.

“But ultimately, I think it's down to the players more than Paul Warne this season I think next season maybe moving forward when he can get his own players and yes it will be massive having someone like him at the helm but right now, I think it's more down to the players.”