It’s been a great season …regardless.

Ellafella

Just watched PW’s pre-match Pompey. Highly verbally intelligent as always and a lovely tribute to the fans and Pride Park at the end which moistened the eyes. It’s not over yet I know …but regardless of whether we get play-offs or not, what are the 3 stand-outs which will stick in the memory for you for League One 2022/23; they don’t have to be positive, just stand-out and season-defining. Mine:

1. David McGoldrick - sublime. I used to watch Charlie George like a hawk and still marvel at the memories. Didzy is up there with Charlie for me. Wonderful feet and vision and contribution which will stick in my memory bank. 

2. Standard of Refereeing: All I’ll say is that it has on the whole been like one long episode of the League of Gentlemen & Inside Number 9 rolled into one. Port Vale at home!?! What did we do to deserve these refs? They are caricatures of themselves. 

3. Max Bird away at Cheltenham - 2nd goal - “he must have a foot like a trac-shun-En-gin!” …What a goal. 

If the season ends on Sunday 7th so be it. I’ve really enjoyed it and we have next season. 🐏

B7FD54D7-0A86-404F-ABE4-89726171C7BC.jpeg

I think its been an emotional season but I am soppy generally!

1. The first league game back at PP - very emotional as at times really didnt think it would happen

2 Didzy's penalty last week to put us back in sixth - felt really significant and the singing just me think of it at Wembley. Again welled up

3. Hope still to come

Does last summer count as this season? If so, for me it’s;

1) the flurry of signings announced with excellent effort by the club’s social media. How exciting was it seeing a squad being pieced together after standing on the edge of oblivion?!

2) the sheer volume of supporters in attendance home and away. Not only has it shown dedication to the cause and how big we are to be pulling such crowds in league one, but it will also have played its part in the continued financial recovery of the club 👏 🐏

3) the overall effort of the squad so far this season. Yes there have been poor performances, and there have also been some very good ones. Overall the season up to this point has exceeded my own personal expectations. Seeing the club competing and pushing towards the top end of the table despite seemingly how close we were to extinction has been so good.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

I've loved this season. Up and downs for sure, but in context, it's been a belter and it's not over yet despite every other club being 'desperate to get us in the play-offs' 🙄 

The ship has been bought and paid for, steadied, even given a lick of paint here and there and whatever the outcome, it feels like we have the right custodian at the helm.

Looking forwards, we're still firmly in the promotion hunt, we're re-finding some of the form that saw us go 16 unbeaten and we've only one more season left to play under Rick & Trev's sanctions before the shackles come off and we are 100% free of EFL interference forever. Honestly, what's not to like? 

On to my not terribly imaginative top 3 moments...

1. Clowes announces purchase of stadium. There were some weird suggestions on here that it did not necessarily follow that he'd then buy the club, but for me, that was the moment I knew the Club was safe from Fat Mike's sweaty little hands, or worse still, the liquidator.

2. The first transfer window; it made my head spin! One minute, we've only 5 contracted senior players then we've got McGoldrick, Collins, Barks, NML, Chester, Roberts et al. After what had gone before it felt like Christmas morning as a kid and the resurgence of belief and pride in the club was tangible.

3. Didzy; 25 goals and 7 assists in 43 games played for the club. There's a poster on here who needs to imagine this season without him, rather than trying to mug him off as a flat track bully to people who watch him play every week. 

Been alright in stages, but on the whole its been an unpleasant reminder of the state of the game these days.

Ive been to 22 home games and Id guess probably watched the equivalent of about 11 games of football and 11 games of cheating and time wasting. 

If I had anything better to do on a Saturday Id definitely be considering it. My kids have really got into it though which has been good.

1. Driving up to Bradford for the first friendly; my hubby was umpiring but I couldn't miss being there to clap out our team, our club, we still had a club! 🐏

Massive support that day, we couldn't quite believe we were watching football again. I remember Didzy gave away the ball for about ten minutes, then didn't give it away again after that. NML looking fit and confident. Little Oduroh,  looked like he'd wandered over from the under 16s game, but showed great skill against men twice his size. Rosenior, so pleased to be given his chance and very appreciative of the fans' support. 

2. So many new grounds to visit, such contrasts between the welcome of some clubs and downright hostility of others. Thank you Exeter, Port Vale, Morecambe, Accrington. 

Least said about Wycombe, Lincoln, Bristol Rovers the better! 

3. Just the people I share awaydays with, we're a band of brothers and sisters who have travelled many miles, laughed and cried over the performances but always been there again next week. Some I know well, others are just familiar faces, but we smile and nod to each other as we know we have walked the walk together this season. Long may it continue.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

There were some weird suggestions on here that it did not necessarily follow that he'd then buy the club

Well for one DC himself later made it clear it was not his intention to buy the club when he bought he stadium. And if you recall, at the time DC bought the stadium CK was in the driving seat to purchase the club. But hey whatever ...  

I’ll remember this season because of:

Didzy - a real genius. 

Port Vale - the finish to that game was one of my away highlights in all my years as a ram.

David Clowes - saving the club from oblivion and in appointing Warne continuing a real community club ethos we can relate to and get behind. It’s waivered at times in the bad run but it still feels together.

Furthermore- the end of this season will be epic. I can feel it. It’s building when it matters. Last weekend in May, London will see Forest relegated at Palace and a glorious Derby win at Wembley. London could be tasty on that Sunday night. 

But even if not of that happens, we still have a club and we’ll be in a stronger position next season.

I tipped us to finish around 9th I think so on that basis it has been a good season.

But I’ve been genuinely surprised by how awful some teams in this league are. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Derby dismantle a side quite how we obliterated Morecambe. It should have been double figures. There is definitely two leagues in League One. There is a select group who were established top two tier clubs with stadiums over 20,000 capacity. And then there is another group of clubs who are in League One now but you wouldn’t be surprised to see them in non-league at some point over the next decade.

On the flip side, I can’t believe some of our players haven’t dominated this league. I was convinced Hourihane, Bird, Knight and Sibley would rip up this league and be the envy of every other side. That hasn’t happened.

Special mention to Didzy. We wouldn’t be in a playoff race without him. In the final third he has been so much better than any of our other players I’m not sure whether that is down to his brilliance, or the inconsistent form of the others.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

1. Driving up to Bradford for the first friendly; my hubby was umpiring but I couldn't miss being there to clap out our team, our club, we still had a club! 🐏

Massive support that day, we couldn't quite believe we were watching football again. I remember Didzy gave away the ball for about ten minutes, then didn't give it away again after that. NML looking fit and confident. Little Oduroh,  looked like he'd wandered over from the under 16s game, but showed great skill against men twice his size. Rosenior, so pleased to be given his chance and very appreciative of the fans' support. 

2. So many new grounds to visit, such contrasts between the welcome of some clubs and downright hostility of others. Thank you Exeter, Port Vale, Morecambe, Accrington. 

Least said about Wycombe, Lincoln, Bristol Rovers the better! 

3. Just the people I share awaydays with, we're a band of brothers and sisters who have travelled many miles, laughed and cried over the performances but always been there again next week. Some I know well, others are just familiar faces, but we smile and nod to each other as we know we have walked the walk together this season. Long may it continue.

Bradford was a good day, 62 matches by the time we go to Sheffield, see you there.

Hopefully 3 more after that.

47 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Well for one DC himself later made it clear it was not his intention to buy the club when he bought he stadium. And if you recall, at the time DC bought the stadium CK was in the driving seat to purchase the club. But hey whatever ...  

He'd already submitted his owners and directors' test to the EFL and was already negotiating with Quantuma by the time he took ownership of the stadium. He may have initially sought only to protect the asset, but that had already changed at the time of him signing the contract for the stadium purchase which is the circumstance to which I've alluded. 

In his own words...

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-takeover-david-clowes-7250060

47 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

He'd already submitted his owners and directors' test to the EFL and was already negotiating with Quantuma by the time he took ownership of the stadium. He may have initially sought only to protect the asset, but that had already changed at the time of him signing the contract for the stadium purchase which is the circumstance to which I've alluded. 

In his own words...

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-takeover-david-clowes-7250060

Gibberish