It’s been a great season …regardless.

Ellafella

It's a great opening post from @Ellafella. Partly, because it's easy to move on and forget. And he and the rest of you are right about having our club, and some great moments, but for me this has remained a season of suffering because of the restrictions we have struggled under, which stick in my craw. The victimization and EFL vendetta is too much, and if the season end on 7 May then it means the EFL have another laugh at our expense because of all the players we will lose, who many of us have watched coming through the academy and longed to be part of a better future.

David Clowes said he was appointing Paul Warne for the long term, but I wiould hazard a guess that the appointment was with the intention of maximizing the chances of promotion this season, so we can hang on to our squad and build on it next year in the Championship. Failure to do that and the hurt will continue, and it won't have been a great season in my eyes. Lose more players in the summer and gaining promotion will be even harder next season and we may find ourselves stuck here for a while.

I have loved this season so much. Last year was surviving in adversity, keeping the faith. The lead weights on our shoulders were enormous but the togetherness it created will be an abiding sporting memory for the rest of my days. We carried some of that over to this year, the crowds have been tough and resilient, no spoilt brat entitlement. This is our team, we have been through the brown stuff together, you fluffed it ? So what .. we are behind you. The roar after we have gone a goal down hasn’t been there for a while, but it is now. That comes from being together Team and Fans .. it is what makes sport for me. 

The newspapers made a big thing of Manchester City getting 25k crowds in the 3rd division in the days of Sean Goater. .. well if that is worthy of note in Manchester the industrial capital of the world in another age ..  .. what the efff has Chad, Spondon, Allestree and Normanton done this year ? Legendary that’s what ! . I’ve  Seen more goals than the last couple of years, I’ve seen boys become men, old men re light fires and find almost forgotten skills of youth. I’d love to go up but you know what ? We have a club, a team and fans all pulling in the same direction. That is what counts. It isn’t about win and lose, it really is about how you play the game. … We … Clowes, Warne, The Lads, The fans .. have played a blinder.

There is nothing like that Saturday morning feeling with “the game” coming up. .. We’ve got it tomorrow morning so all is right with the world … but we need goals ! 

On 27/04/2023 at 19:37, Ellafella said:

Just watched PW’s pre-match Pompey. Highly verbally intelligent as always and a lovely tribute to the fans and Pride Park at the end which moistened the eyes. It’s not over yet I know …but regardless of whether we get play-offs or not, what are the 3 stand-outs which will stick in the memory for you for League One 2022/23; they don’t have to be positive, just stand-out and season-defining. Mine:

1. David McGoldrick - sublime. I used to watch Charlie George like a hawk and still marvel at the memories. Didzy is up there with Charlie for me. Wonderful feet and vision and contribution which will stick in my memory bank. 

2. Standard of Refereeing: All I’ll say is that it has on the whole been like one long episode of the League of Gentlemen & Inside Number 9 rolled into one. Port Vale at home!?! What did we do to deserve these refs? They are caricatures of themselves. 

3. Max Bird away at Cheltenham - 2nd goal - “he must have a foot like a trac-shun-En-gin!” …What a goal. 

If the season ends on Sunday 7th so be it. I’ve really enjoyed it and we have next season. 🐏

B7FD54D7-0A86-404F-ABE4-89726171C7BC.jpeg

Reviewing this & can’t believe Port Vale Away didn’t make top 3. I’d settled for a 0-1 at about 84 minutes. 93rd minute I’m in a Derby Counth scrum - fans, players & coaching staff and Jason Knight is screaming in my face”. He screamed in my face for the next 3 hours when I was driving home and at Clay Cross got the camera flash for doing 36 in a 30 zone - 1am in the morning. £100 fine. Worth it? Hell yes. 😏

I know I've been a grumpy poster this year, but what a season it's been. Just focusing on the pitch and not worrying that the next time I go through the turnstiles might be the last has been such a lovely feeling. The support has been amazing tbh I expected us to average 23-24,000, but to average 27-28,000 in the third division is unreal. Rarely have I heard the fans moan at games or boo except when we have been particularly poor such as against Fleetwood at home. 

It would be a fairytale if we were to get promoted, but if we don't, that's okay too. After having a few years of struggle, I won't complain at seeing us win more than lose, even if it is in the third division. 

3 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

I know I've been a grumpy poster this year, but what a season it's been. Just focusing on the pitch and not worrying that the next time I go through the turnstiles might be the last has been such a lovely feeling. The support has been amazing tbh I expected us to average 23-24,000, but to average 27-28,000 in the third division is unreal. Rarely have I heard the fans moan at games or boo except when we have been particularly poor such as against Fleetwood at home. 

It would be a fairytale if we were to get promoted, but if we don't, that's okay too. After having a few years of struggle, I won't complain at seeing us win more than lose, even if it is in the third division. 

Like you I don't mind if we get promoted or not. Last season was a miserable experience but it saw a tremendous unity and a bond between supporters and players - we saw they really cared, relegation was down to others. That bond remains, as the attendance figures show. 

My neighbour is a Blades fan and everything he has said to me about David McGoldrick has been confirmed by what we have seen on the pitch. What a player, hopefully he will be with us next season!

1) Having a team to watch once more. The strange combination of the feelings of high expectations and trepidation of what we were actually going going to see as I climbed up to our seats in the South Stand, which are Row R, right behind the goalposts, which is a long way up for an old guy with tired legs!

2) Getting to meet with a load of people I thought I would never see again!

3) The final two minutes at Port Vale were probably the best, maddest, most beautiful, manic and bonkers moments of my life, with a block of about 20 people hugging each other en masse, bouncing around and moving a whole row forwards without falling over the chairs. WOW!!!

4) The realisation that it simply doesn’t matter what league we are in, because WE ARE DERBY!!!!!

COME ON YOU RAMS!