Portsmouth (H) Sat 29th April

I have no idea how Mousinho is going to approach this game, but I believe they have 13(?) players coming up to the end of their contract. Unfortunately, that's 13 players either playing for their future at Portsmouth or at another club who may be watching. 

Although Portsmouth as a club have nothing to play for, players within their team have their livelihoods at stake - perhaps even some looking to catch the eye of Warne as Derby are expected to be very active. Who knows. 

I do think this could be a very awkward game, unfortunately.  

12 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I have no idea how Mousinho is going to approach this game, but I believe they have 13(?) players coming up to the end of their contract. Unfortunately, that's 13 players either playing for their future at Portsmouth or at another club who may be watching. 

... or it's 13 players playing not to get injured in a "meaningless" game.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Burton had 6 shots in total.

1 - Long shot from 25 yards which dribbled along the floor towards Wildsmith
2 - Davies failed to incept the pass which deflected off Cashin (the shot which hit the post)
3 - Long shot from 30 yards which didn't have enough pace on it to cause real issue. You could argue Hourihane wasn't close enough to his man, but he obviously did enough to make the attacker think a more than hopeful shot was the best option.
4 - Did the freekick from 35 yards count as a shot?
5 - The tame header resulting from the freekick counted as a shot too
6 - Header from a corner which went over the bar

A lack of defensive solidity doesn't always mean a shot on goal will occur from the opposition. That's just one sign (the most obvious) of a lack of defensive solidity. There was also the incident where Davies lost the ball with a misplaced pass and Hourihane was labouring to get back. I felt that at times when pressure was applied through the middle a better team could have broken through. I also think by playing out, and one midfielder coming deep, when it is hourihane there is a chance a better team may press, win the ball and score. 

15 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Yeah it’s total guesswork isn’t it!

Turn ip and play well, we should have too much for them! All you can do

That’s my thinking, we mostly need to worry about our team doing their own jobs rather than overthinking what Portsmouth will do. Yes be aware of their shape and danger men, but if we play to our best they won’t matter.
Stick with the same side as the performances and results improved over the last couple of games, attack in the same way and this time take those chances being created. 

We can spin this game however , they have nothing to play for makes the game easier , they have nothing to play for makes the game harder as they relax and play with freedom , it’s all just spin though ,,,, it’s a tough game we need to win under pressure,it’s that simple ,

get our backsides into pride park and help the players to get the win we need , the players get out on the pitch and give everything they have to get the win , the level does not matter as I’ve watched derby in these type of games at every level and the feeling is the same

come on derby 💪

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's got to be the same team and same shape. The balance seems to be there since the change to this formation.
Hourihane is in the best form of his season at the moment so it doesn't make sense to put Smith in there instead.

Yes, it looks like it is working and creating opportunities. The only caveat I’d add is that we need to play to our strengths .. keep the ball on the ground and play football. There is enough ability in this squad to win anything if we do that. We fail when we hoof and play head tennis. We aren’t strong enough or fast enough across the whole team to play that style and make it count. 

5 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

I'd hope for an unchanged formation. Perhaps experiment with Smith in the middle instead of Hourihane and either push him further up as part of the three, dropping sibbo into left mid at the expense of roberts or leave him on the bench entirely. I think we really need to win this one, as i don't fancy our odds against Sheffield Wednesday if they have anything to play for on the final day. 

Looks like it'll be a full house with Portsmouth bringing a full allocation as well so should make for a cracking atmosphere. Ironic this is our final home game of the league 1 season, doesn't seem so long ago this was the first game of our ill-fated season back in the big time. 

When Oakley scored the first Premiership goal of the season and for a few minutes we were top 🤣

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Burton had 6 shots in total.

1 - Long shot from 25 yards which dribbled along the floor towards Wildsmith
2 - Davies failed to incept the pass which deflected off Cashin (the shot which hit the post)
3 - Long shot from 30 yards which didn't have enough pace on it to cause real issue. You could argue Hourihane wasn't close enough to his man, but he obviously did enough to make the attacker think a more than hopeful shot was the best option.
4 - Did the freekick from 35 yards count as a shot?
5 - The tame header resulting from the freekick counted as a shot too
6 - Header from a corner which went over the bar

Didn’t they hit the post early on?

8 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Not really. They’ll beat both Fleetwood and Bristol Rovers 

Like how people said they’d easily beat Accrington? It seems fairly clear to me that this league isn’t as straightforward as some pretend it is, the so called “lesser” teams are capable of taking points off the “better” sides so making such predictions/statements as if they’re already proven fact seems premature.
Before tonight’s results it looked probable we would be competing with Peterborough for one play off place, after that result it’s still possible for us to secure 5th or 6th. Bolton losing improves our chances. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

8 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yeah like how they beat Accrington Stanley. 

Edited by Diego

14 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Away to Bristol Rovers who in their last 2 home games played us and Sheff Wed off the park?

Barton will have them up for that game.