Peterborough United vs Derby County

cannable

3 minutes ago, Pottig said:

Why should we be challenging top 2? We've done well to be challenging for playoffs. You do realise we only had 5 players registered before this season right?

oh come on pottig, we may have only had 5 players but i bet any money we probably have amongst the top 3 wage bills for this league

Just now, Jayram said:

Massive mistake by Clowes to be honest. No idea why he got suckered into that. Warne will be gone well before then, hopefully.

it seemed a bizzare decision at the time i was happy to let it play out, but its not looking great at the minute from clowes

1 minute ago, jameso said:

To be fair, no-one can argue with a 17-match unbeaten run, and we were definitely playing better stuff in most of those games, but apart from Bolton (twice) and Sheff Wed I don't think we played anyone else in the mix did we? (Portsmouth, Exeter, Port Vale were probably the best of the rest).

We've come up against better teams since then (Wycombe, Barnsley, Plymouth, Peterborough) and they've beaten us and had the better of most of the matches (with the exception of our edging a half at Plymouth and a half at Peterborough).

I agree with @Rams_Rich - I think we've been found out and we're not at the level we thought we were. There's no disgrace in that... just being realistic.

I think Warne has been found out for sure. He doesn't seem to have any game plan that works. He is a fitness coach, not a football manager. 

1 minute ago, Tombo said:

Just don't buy tiredness as an excuse.

Firstly, start of the season we were talking about how a lot of the lads hadn't had a full preseason and were getting up to speed in the first few opening games. By that logic, surely we would peak later in the season and fade later also? Peterborough and all other clubs have had a longer season than some of our free agents who were out of contract and had a longer break than others?

Secondly, if your players are knackered on a matchday, that's a training issue. You can absolutely manage a players fitness to fill out a season. Recovery sessions, reduced workloads etc. Shouldn't take much for a professional footballer to rest and recover and be back ready to go

Thirdly, I know we have a thin squad but it's not like we don't have ample cover in every position. We could rest players if we needed to

how old are you mate? genuine question

when you get into your 30s recovery, training and keeping fit become much more difficult especially as a pro athlete.

there is a reason why most clubs avoid stacking their squad full of pensioners

23 minutes ago, BrudeRAM said:

I’m not even sure that’s due to tiredness. We have hourihane and bird playing next to each other and theyre too similar in that theyre not the most mobile imo. Leaves us at risk of just getting outrun which is happening here

If Knight is absent Hourihane and Bird is not a viable combo 

My biggest concern with PW is that he never accepts that tactically he got anything wrong. The slow reaction to other teams’ changes is happening time after time.

The train has definitely gone off the rails. Lack of confidence with the players is obviously a big driver but there’s something deeper…

Just now, PistoldPete said:

I think Warne has been found out for sure. He doesn't seem to have any game plan that works. He is a fitness coach, not a football manager. 

I think let the jury retire for a little longer. No funds doesn't seem a fair test of a manager and I don't believe he inherited a squad that was nailed on for promotion or even the play-offs. Different plans work for different sets of players, but if you're short in key positions, I'm not sure which plan works for that.

13 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

This squad should be challenging top two.

No, it shouldn't. I think it's silly to claim that.

However, it should comfortably secure a play-off place and Warne himself has said that not reaching the playoffs will mean the season is a failure.

Currently it's headed toward failure territory, and Warne needs to do something more than emphasising the same instructions and taking the same approach to every game to stop that happening.

4 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

How is it possible to be soe woefully up front,nothing from corners or set pieces, no one able to shoot on target.what on earth do we do in training

Part of the problem is McG, he’s a fabulous player when he’s on it, but he vacates the area a striker should be in, leaving us with a huge gap upfront.

The only way to fill that gap is with Collins (who isn’t really up to it) or a midfield runner and wingers cutting in, but that impacts other areas of the field.

1 minute ago, caymanram said:

My biggest concern with PW is that he never accepts that tactically he got anything wrong. The slow reaction to other teams’ changes is happening time after time.

The train has definitely gone off the rails. Lack of confidence with the players is obviously a big driver but there’s something deeper…

Not had a juicy affair rumour for a while have we, PW been getting deeper, you started it not me! 

18 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

If we don’t get playoffs, Warne should be sacked.

The derby county sense of entitlement still running true i see 

u do know sacking managers after less than 1 full season is half the reason we’re in this absolute mess dont u? 

how about we do something totally revolutionary and give one manager a whole season and a couple of unrestricted transfer windows to mould a squad that fits how they want us to play instead of expecting them to turn someone elses players into instant promotion material