Playoffs

Bris Vegas

8 hours ago, JPRamFan said:

They still have Forest Green, MK Dons, Cambridge, Cheltenham and Morecambe still to play. They could easily win all 5 of them or at least take 12-13 points from them realistically. Their fixtures are kinder than ours but I'm not suggesting I'd swap our place with them, but just expressing caution.

I’ll be amazed if they beat all of those five.  We’re at the business end of the season and these teams are now scrapping for their lives.

31 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

If we get 20 points from the last 10 games, and that is feasible, Wycombe would need 28 points from 11 games and up their GD. I'd rather be in our position than theirs.

And Bolton would also need 21 points from 9 games as well.

30 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

If we get 20 points from the last 10 games, and that is feasible, Wycombe would need 28 points from 11 games and up their GD. I'd rather be in our position than theirs.

Only a fool would rather than be in their position than ours.

They may have a game in hand but, winning that in itself, wouldn't be enough to catch us.

Even with a game in hand, we still have more home games left than them (6 v 5). We both have a single home game against another top six team (us v Ipswich, them v Barnsley). We both have a single away game against a top 6 team (us v Wednesday, them v Ipswich).

I certainly won't be checking play off dates just yet but we are in a much stronger position than Wycombe. I would imagine they consider their target to be Bolton.

I'll not post links, as it's uncertain how trustworthy this is.*

One VIP ticket thing offers hospitality tickets for the Championship final on the Monday, 29th.
Another offers similar for the L1 final, on the Sunday, 28th.

The latter also goes on to state "This event is sold out"!  ?

The 28th will of course be the 16th anniversary of Stephen Pearson's perfectly timed and perfectly executed 7 yard slidey-thing, so that's gotta be a massive omen, Yeah?  ?

*Not trustworthy at all, to be fair!  

I think playoffs are realistic given the position we are in and the players returning from injury. Make no mistake though, whoever we have in the run in, they will be tough, scrappy fixtures.

We are in a good position but things can turn sour rapidly, so we need to put the run of poor performances behind us and actually string together a few unbeaten to eliminate any sniff.

I think Ipswich will pip Plymouth into second, I reckon we'll finish 5th and play Barnsley.

Ultimately if we make it there, we just have to forget the season and beat whoever is in front of us in the knockout.

Staying in this league for another season wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but it would be great to escape at the first time of asking and then seeing if we can renegotiate the terms of the business plan to give us a fighting chance.

6 minutes ago, secretsquirrel said:

Barnsley are definitely in with a shout of second given their form.

Agree with this-wouldnt fancy them in the playoffs

Barnsley v Ipswich, Saturday 25th March.

I've put a cheeky fiver on Barnsley to get the auto place at 8/1. If they don't win this game then that's a bit more unlikely.

21 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

They say the playoffs are a lottery.

But for me it has that feel of when we reached the playoffs under Gary Rowett. Feels like we are in there with better sides than ourselves. 

Doesn't feel like that to me at all. Bolton aren't better then us. Barnsley, really? Even Ipswich aren't massively better than us. We have just as much chance as these sides to win the playoffs.

Even Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth, they're not absolutely miles better than us but they've been ultra consistent from the off.

Anyway that's all irrelevant because the season isn't over yet. We'll finish where we deserve to finish.

On our day, we can beat any team in the division. Sadly, that's also true of half a dozen other sides. Oddly, I've become quite indifferent to which league we play in. The Championship would be good as it would allow us to re-build the Academy roster, but it's now a nice to have not a mandatory. I guess nearly losing the club altogether has altered my priorities somewhat. 

Also, I f****** hate the play-offs and would scrap them completely if it were up to me. If you finish 3rd across an entire season, you've earned the slot available on merit. Creating a play-off lottery serves no purpose bar further filling the EFL coffers and as far as I'm concerned, they can get in the bin. That said, if we manage to scrape our way into promotion the way the tree botherer's did, I'll be back to extol their virtues, the play-offs that is, not the feckin gumps.

14 hours ago, JPRamFan said:

They still have Forest Green, MK Dons, Cambridge, Cheltenham and Morecambe still to play. They could easily win all 5 of them or at least take 12-13 points from them realistically. Their fixtures are kinder than ours but I'm not suggesting I'd swap our place with them, but just expressing caution.

All teams fighting for their lives down near the bottom of the table , will be a lot harder set of fixtures than you think

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

On our day, we can beat any team in the division. Sadly, that's also true of half a dozen other sides. Oddly, I've become quite indifferent to which league we play in. The Championship would be good as it would allow us to re-build the Academy roster, but it's now a nice to have not a mandatory. I guess nearly losing the club altogether has altered my priorities somewhat. 

Also, I f****** hate the play-offs and would scrap them completely if it were up to me. If you finish 3rd across an entire season, you've earned the slot available on merit. Creating a play-off lottery serves no purpose bar further filling the EFL coffers and as far as I'm concerned, they can get in the bin. That said, if we manage to scrape our way into promotion the way the tree botherer's did, I'll be back to extol their virtues, the play-offs that is, not the feckin gumps.

Fills clubs coffers too. Right now there's 8 clubs in with a shout and possibly one other extremely rank outsider. If it was top 3 we'd only really be looking at the top 4. It helps to keep club gates up and thereby increases money into a club's home gates. Once out of the running for a playoff place, club's gates will drop. 

Money from the playoffs is divided like this...

Semi finals. The gate receipts (minus allowable expenses such as police, stewards, etc) are split. 12.5% of the total of all 4 games goes to each of the 4 competing clubs. 50% goes into the Pool. That is the pot paid out in prize money to clubs dependent on their final place in the League.

Same for the final except the 2 finalists get 25% each and the other 50% goes in to the pool and gets redistributed across all L1 teams depending on their final league position.

1 minute ago, MadAmster said:

Fills clubs coffers too. Right now there's 8 clubs in with a shout and possibly one other extremely rank outsider. If it was top 3 we'd only really be looking at the top 4. It helps to keep club gates up and thereby increases money into a club's home gates. Once out of the running for a playoff place, club's gates will drop. 

Money from the playoffs is divided like this...

Semi finals. The gate receipts (minus allowable expenses such as police, stewards, etc) are split. 12.5% of the total of all 4 games goes to each of the 4 competing clubs. 50% goes into the Pool. That is the pot paid out in prize money to clubs dependent on their final place in the League.

Same for the final except the 2 finalists get 25% each and the other 50% goes in to the pool and gets redistributed across all L1 teams depending on their final league position.

Not much consolation when it's the club finishing 6th who scoops the truly massive windfall and you've finished 3rd. That's the point being made.