Playoffs

Bris Vegas

"The EFL needs to promote us now!"

I'm glad I didn't start this topic as I'm sure I'd have been given a 21 point deduction and banned from posting by the mods*

*I've always preferred Rockers anyway!

No-one has posted on Our leaders topic since 4/2/23 when the wheels started falling off!

Funny that!

On 12/03/2023 at 17:50, Wolfie20 said:

I wouldn’t rule Barnsley out of one of the automatic slots - they have some difficult games coming up but they're on a great run with 8 wins and 2 draws  in their last 10 matches. Get through the next 3 fixtures unscathed and on paper they have quite an easy run-in. Assuming we get to the play-offs I'd rather face Ipswich or Plymouth than Barnsley but let's make sure we're there firstl

I can see us playing Barnsley either at Wembley or in the first PO's stage. Ipswich or Plymouth for the last auto place. 

What is galling to me is that we had a chance of making the top two. We had to win the "Big" games .. and when you add the points we didn't get v Wycombe ( geez mighty Wycombe !), Plymouth ( melt down 2nd half) , and Barnsley ( total melt down) , we would be top two now. 

3 hours ago, MadAmster said:

My reply was to your "filling EFL coffers" remark. The playoffs don't fill EFL coffers as I explained.

I don't argue with your thoughts on "3rd place over a 46 game season" deserving promotion. Unfortunately, for me, I also see the added income for some clubs in the last 1/4 of a season if they are still in with a shout of the top 6. One thing that has always surprised me is that they don't apply the same logic to the bottom 6. Keep interest up at both ends of the table?

The other reason that I'd definitely want to keep playoffs is that particularly in the Championship with teams with big wads of parachute payments, is the bigger danger is that the automatic slots get locked out by teams with lots of resources, looking 'bounce back' to the top flight. Having a top 6 at least gives a better chance of someone with more modest resources just having a good season. Once you are in the playoffs then its a bit of a lottery even if there are still favourites and dark horses. A full season and limited automatic-only places tends to favour teams with more resources and bigger squads.

5 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

All means nothing in the playoffs. Case in point we beat Hull 0-2 and 4-0 in regular season, they knocked us out in the playoffs and got promoted. We’ve not played Ipswich at home yet and, having gone to the Barnsley game, they’re nothing to worry about, 4-1 flattered them and it was one of our worse performances of the season, we beat ourselves not the other way around.  Id also argue we played some of those teams early season under Liam or in the Liam/Warne transition which distorts things.

Our small squad means we struggle over the season compared to the top 4, we just need to get to the playoffs and have a go to win them and we have every chance. If not, then with a full summer no reason we can’t do a Wednesday next season.

Interestingly three of our four wins against top half sides came under Liam - Posh, Wycombe and Barnsley at home.

Under Paul Warne, we have only beaten Bolton in the top half.

Our record under Paul Warne against top half sides is W1 D5 L4

One win in ten.

I hope we’re saving our wins against the better sides for the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Interestingly three of our four wins against top half sides came under Liam - Posh, Wycombe and Barnsley at home.

Under Paul Warne, we have only beaten Bolton in the top half.

Our record under Paul Warne against top half sides is W1 D5 L4

One win in ten.

I hope we’re saving our wins against the better sides for the playoffs.

When do you decide who is a top half side?

On 12/03/2023 at 19:00, OssieEnd said:

Ugly. Dirty.Wins

And we are Play Off bound

I fear NOBODY in the Play Offs. 

Great passion , but were not big ugly or dirty - im afraid from what ive seen Barnsley are all those things , and wind up cheating merchants too

We can beat any of the top 8 on our day but we do need to get bigger and uglier in this division if we dont go up this year. Add that to our skillful lads and we'd conqour  all of the EFL

Just now, LN747 said:

Great passion , but were not big ugly or dirty - im afraid from what ive seen Barnsley are all those things , and wind up cheating merchants too

We can beat any of the top 8 on our day but we do need to get bigger and uglier in this division if we dont go up this year. Add that to our skillful lads and we'd conqour  all of the EFL

hmmm que a new song...weve conquored all of the efl, from morcambe to port vayyyle ,we won the flipping lot....

1 hour ago, LN747 said:

Our skilful lads may head for pastures new if we don’t go up. 
brace yourself bbc GIF by Top Gear

On 13/03/2023 at 12:40, RodleyRam said:

Staying in this league for another season wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but it would be great to escape at the first time of asking and then seeing if we can renegotiate the terms of the business plan to give us a fighting chance.

On 13/03/2023 at 17:16, Eatonram said:

The play offs will be very tough indeed this year. I fear we lack a little pace and toughness that Barnsley showed for instance. We will have a different look next year if Warne can sign players.

On 13/03/2023 at 18:55, Yani P said:

I think we will be in a win win situation. If we get to Wembley and win it will be a fantastic day out and a mighty achievement given our unique set of circumstances.

If we lose before or at Wembley well it just means we have to serve the final year of our restrictions in League One with Warne able to wheel and deal in a few more bodies to make us even stronger next year. If we then went up we would be in the Championship with a clean slate.

Don't y'all realize the players we lose if we don't get promotion? And that we can't buy any players to replace them (free transfers only).

If we don't go up this season I'd expect us to lose Sibley, Knight, Cashin and Bird for staters. Quite possibly others. They've been loyal and given us a season in League One to try to get us up, but they all want to play at the top so they're not going to do another season in this division.

8 hours ago, OssieEnd said:

I can see us playing Barnsley either at Wembley or in the first PO's stage. Ipswich or Plymouth for the last auto place. 

What is galling to me is that we had a chance of making the top two. We had to win the "Big" games .. and when you add the points we didn't get v Wycombe ( geez mighty Wycombe !), Plymouth ( melt down 2nd half) , and Barnsley ( total melt down) , we would be top two now. 

Didnt think you liked to dwell on events that are in the past? Those games are over dont you know

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Don't y'all realize the players we lose if we don't get promotion? And that we can't buy any players to replace them (free transfers only).

If we don't go up this season I'd expect us to lose Sibley, Knight, Cashin and Bird for staters. Quite possibly others. They've been loyal and given us a season in League One to try to get us up, but they all want to play at the top so they're not going to do another season in this division.

Sadly this is the main reason to desperately try to go up isnt it even though next season under restrictions in championship will be very tough, unless the clubs starting their journeys with the efl  get points deductions

On 13/03/2023 at 13:44, Bris Vegas said:

If Derby don’t make the playoffs from this position it will go down as another collapse similar to 2014/15.

Not necessarily. It all depends on the manner of our missing out.

That season, from what I can see, we only picked up 11 points from our last 10 games. If we get anywhere near to repeating that then yes, it would be a similar collapse. However, if we say picked up something like 17 points but Wycombe picked up another 21 after tonight (and in the process overturned our current goal difference advantage) then it would be disappointing but nothing on the scale of 2014/15.

4 minutes ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Wycombe closing the gap with there game in hand, could be the form team and Peterborough flying now, Gonna be a close run in 

I agree. Four points is a decent gap but by no means as unassailable over a ten game period as some seem to think.

Peterborough are a bit of an odd ball at the moment. Winning easily tonight and beat both Shrewsbury and Plymouth. But, in their last 10 games they’ve also lost 5:0 at home to Bolton and lost against Cheltenham and Fleetwood.

I still fancy us to just about make it. Bolton will be looking over their shoulders even more anxiously than us.

14 minutes ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Wycombe closing the gap with there game in hand, could be the form team and Peterborough flying now, Gonna be a close run in 

Nah .  Peterborough got totally spanked by Cheltenham at the weekend and Wycombe have Barnsley and Ipswich in the next couple of weeks.  Beat Fleetwood and we'll be fine .  If not, it's our own fault.