Playoffs

Bris Vegas

On 13/03/2023 at 13:44, Bris Vegas said:

If Derby don’t make the playoffs from this position it will go down as another collapse similar to 2014/15.

Not with our wafer thin squad Bris. I could make a case that we've over performed to be where we are.

I won't though because I'm old and tired and on early shift in the morning!

We'll make the play offs barring an horrendous injury or referee run.

Wycombe and Peterboro both won tonight putting Wycombe 3 points behind Bolton with a game in hand over them. Peterboro also have a game in hand over Bolton but are 6 points behind. Bolton have Sheff Weds away Friday night followed by Plymouth at home and then Exeter away. Wycombe have Barnsley at home followed by Charlton away and MK Dons at home before travelling to Ipswich.

Still going to stick with the current top 6 staying in the top 6(what positions still hard to predict). So we could have either Plymouth, Ipswich, Barnsley or Bolton to play in the play-offs. Might have a better idea in 5 games time.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Don't y'all realize the players we lose if we don't get promotion? And that we can't buy any players to replace them (free transfers only).

If we don't go up this season I'd expect us to lose Sibley, Knight, Cashin and Bird for staters. Quite possibly others. They've been loyal and given us a season in League One to try to get us up, but they all want to play at the top so they're not going to do another season in this division.

Can't see anyone wanting to buy Sibley...

alligator attacking GIF

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Don't y'all realize the players we lose if we don't get promotion? And that we can't buy any players to replace them (free transfers only).

If we don't go up this season I'd expect us to lose Sibley, Knight, Cashin and Bird for staters. Quite possibly others. They've been loyal and given us a season in League One to try to get us up, but they all want to play at the top so they're not going to do another season in this division.

Not sure they would leave. I remember lots saying no way Knight, Bird and Sibley would stay for this season but they did.

18 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Interestingly three of our four wins against top half sides came under Liam - Posh, Wycombe and Barnsley at home.

Under Paul Warne, we have only beaten Bolton in the top half.

Our record under Paul Warne against top half sides is W1 D5 L4

One win in ten.

I hope we’re saving our wins against the better sides for the playoffs.

Those wins under Liam were all very fortunate as well in many ways from what I remember but it doesn’t matter who is in charge we have the players that we have and finishing in the play offs would be an excellent achievement if that’s where we finish.

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Not with our wafer thin squad Bris. I could make a case that we've over performed to be where we are.

I won't though because I'm old and tired and on early shift in the morning!

We'll make the play offs barring an horrendous injury or referee run.

I agree Utch 

Let's look forward to Wembley and hope Bobby Zee isn't on the pitch!

On 12/03/2023 at 16:11, Bris Vegas said:

They’re looking pretty certain now right?

10 games remaining. Even if we pick up a mediocre 15 points from that lot, Wycombe would have to win 7 of their last 11 to overhaul us. That’s not going to happen.

They say the playoffs are a lottery.

But for me it has that feel of when we reached the playoffs under Gary Rowett. Feels like we are in there with better sides than ourselves. 

I still back us over 2 legs against those who currently occupy the play off berths, bar maybe Barnsley.  We gifted Ipswich the win at their place and we've had the better of Bolton home & away.  

Plus I don't think Warne would be stupid/negative enough to try and defend a semi 1-0 aggregate lead, by putting 11 men behind the ball like The Snake did against Fulham.

5 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I still back us over 2 legs against those who currently occupy the play off berths, bar maybe Barnsley.  We gifted Ipswich the win at their place and we've had the better of Bolton home & away.  

Plus I don't think Warne would be stupid/negative enough to try and defend a semi 1-0 aggregate lead, by putting 11 men behind the ball like The Snake did against Fulham.

Even Barnsley we handed it to them on a plate.

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

Exactly.  But I think on their day they're a really tough outfit.

I agree but not necessarily any tougher than Ipswich on their day. Sadly, both of those seem to have hit some form but I'd go into play offs against any of the contenders believing we have a real chance.

It's looking like 5th might be the best we can manage (barring another great run of form and/or Barnsley having a wobble) which is a shame as I'd fancy our chances more with the second leg at home.

Big games (those involving the current top 10) EVERY week from here on in.

Windies vs Bolton

Ipswich vs Shrewsbury

Wycombe vs Barnsley 

Barnsley vs Windies

Barnsley vs Ipswich

Posh vs DERBY

All before the end of March alone.

A few observations.

If the Windies carry on winning, it will probably do us a favour.

If Barnsley are to make the Autos, they are going to have to do it the hard way.

Plymouth have, on paper, the easiest next couple of weeks, so could consolidate their Autos spot.

It will be really interesting to see how the table looks at 3pm April 1st, as we kick off at home vs Ipswich. That game will be massive.

18 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Doesn't make much sense though as it changes throughout the season and only really has meaning at the very end. #justmyopionlike

True. How else do you describe a side when you play them? You can only go on where they are at the time. You never know what can happen over the course of a season. Last season, for instance, one side, who shall remain nameless, lost their opening 7 games and nicked a point at PP. At that point you'd see them as relegation candidates. They got promoted. In the end, it's all opinion and they vary. Go back to August. We beat Oxford at PP and lost to Charlton away (should have got a point IMO). Most fans thought both would be topside come the business end of the season. Neither are.