V Cheltenham (H) 19.45 28th February

Boycie

9 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Is it perhaps a sign of the barriers that still need to be overcome that we are using her first name when referring to her? How often do we refer to male referees using their first name rather than their surname? Never I would hazard a guess at.

I think when it comes to barriers it's fairly low down the list, but fair point.

12 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I’m sure Rebecca will be better than 80% of the awful male refs we’ve seen this year.

Did very well on Saturday at MK Dons v Ipswich 

5 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Wildsmith

Smith.       Davies.    Cash.      Fozzy

Knight       Conor      

Sibbo

NML.       McGoldrick.    Dobbin

This is the switch I think we really need to make in defence and midfield, so long as everyone is fit and fresh enough. I'm not sure what the front three should be given the six options of McGoldrick, Collins, NML, Barks, Dobbin and Springett.

But this back four solidifies the defence while this midfield three brings more goal threat, bite and creativity, and is better balanced.

We've tried playing Knight in the midfield 2 already, it doesn't work.  He doesn't have the composure or range of passing we need in that position, and you're also taking away all the good stuff that Knight does further forward.  You want knight chasing lost causes and running off the ball in the final third, not picking it up off the back 4 and trying to play through midfield. There's maybe an argument for it in tough away games, where we won't be expected to have as much of the ball, but in a home game against a bottom 6 team, we should be dominating the ball and want ball-players in there.

Crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't change the team from the weekend (barring injury/fitness etc).  I think there's a decent argument that we picked the wrong team for a tough away game, but the right team for a bottom-6 team at home.

18 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

We've tried playing Knight in the midfield 2 already, it doesn't work.  He doesn't have the composure or range of passing we need in that position,

and you're also taking away all the good stuff that Knight does further forward

I think we want Knight playing in a midfield alongside 1 preferably 2 players who DO have that range of passing. White is the obvious candidate just now. When Bird is back I’d say all 3 play in midfield. Another option is Sibley in midfield. 

Agree, we have no one who does quite what Knight does up front. But we have plenty who can score, especially from set pieces. We give ourselves the best chance to beat the stronger teams by getting better control of midfield, avoiding conceding goals, and getting the odd goal. 

Worryingly we’ll beat the Cheltenhams of this world even if Warne carries on with his current set up. He needs to change things tho, if we’re to beat the top teams

We need more youthful energy - we’ve been out-run in recent games and we have no answer to it. We’ve got some senior players with strong reputations who are not able to cover the miles required. Warne needs the courage to put them on the sidelines so the likes of Rooney and Tommo can find their feet. Be brave - start at  60 minutes at 1-0 against Cheltenham. 

41 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

We've tried playing Knight in the midfield 2 already, it doesn't work.  He doesn't have the composure or range of passing we need in that position, and you're also taking away all the good stuff that Knight does further forward.  You want knight chasing lost causes and running off the ball in the final third, not picking it up off the back 4 and trying to play through midfield. There's maybe an argument for it in tough away games, where we won't be expected to have as much of the ball, but in a home game against a bottom 6 team, we should be dominating the ball and want ball-players in there.

Crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't change the team from the weekend (barring injury/fitness etc).  I think there's a decent argument that we picked the wrong team for a tough away game, but the right team for a bottom-6 team at home.

Knight in the midfield two was with Collins and McGoldrick up front.
Knight at AM means he presses from the front. Knight at CM means he drives forward with the ball from a deeper position - something none of our other CMs can do.
With Knight AND Sibley in the midfield, you suddenly have 2 players who are willing to drive forward with the ball. More defenders being dragged out of position and more space for our forwards/wingers.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Knight at AM means he presses from the front. Knight at CM means he drives forward with the ball from a deeper position - something none of our other CMs can do.
With Knight AND Sibley in the midfield, you suddenly have 2 players who are willing to drive forward with the ball. More defenders being dragged out of position and more space for our forwards/wingers.

Would like to see this, also for the defensive impact of Knight playing deeper. 

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That's fine, but the question is who is the 3rd player in midfield?  You have to have somebody doing the type of work Max Bird was doing, otherwise nobody in midfield gets the ball.  Hourihane has been one of our most productive players in the last couple of months (in terms of goals and assists), so either pushing him a lot deeper (where he is much less effective) or dropping him completely (to fit someone like White in) seems completely counter-productive.

Wildsmith 

Rooney        Davies         Cashin     Forsyth      
                  Knight             Hourihane 

Dobbin                  Sibley               Springett  
                          Mcgoldrick 

- The older players look tired, the attack looks in desperate need of some youth and energy at times.

- Think Sibley and Mcgoldrick could be a real threat together given time. Mcgoldrick needs a rest in one of these next two games because we’re in real danger of injuring him through overplaying like we did with Vydra.

- We need the areal threat of Davies and Forsyth on set pieces and some actual defenders in defence after Saturday.

I do enjoy listening to Warne talk, I know he’s not for everyone but I admire the apparent honesty, however….I didn’t take much insight away from this one. It seems up in the air as to whether he’s going to change the team because of the poor performance or if he’ll stick with them and tell them to once more prove they are better than Saturday’s performance. 
Chester back in training with the squad but this one comes too soon for him to be involved and Bird will be back next week or two.